| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 6 days post surgery:) A couple of questions.....  (Read 10132 times)

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
6 days post surgery:) A couple of questions.....
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
On April 3rd, I gave my kidney to my sister-in-law ;D

That was a Tuesday and I stayed in the hospital till Friday.

I was sent home with 40 pain pills & told that once they are gone, I would need another paper perscription to refill........the hospital is 3 hours away......no way I would travel 6 hours round trip for pain meds.......so I am trying to stay away from taking them as much as possible, but I get VERY uncomfortable without them.  I tried to use only tylenol yesterday and was in tears by the afternoon :'(

I would love to know how long it took others to feel OK with just tylenol.

I have a lot of rumbling in my tummy.......gas??......but have not had a movement yet.
(taking two stool softeners a day)
Sometimes I feel like things are settling in or shifting in my belly.......has anyone else felt that way?
(like your insides are repositioning themselves)
Could it just be the gas?

I am supposed to call my donor coordinator if I have any questions or concerns, but I don't find her helpful........she is quick to dismiss my concerns & makes me feel like I am a bother to her or like I am making a big deal out of nothing.     

Who better to get answers from than those who have first hand experence anyway :D

Thank you!!!!

maynard9089

Re: 6 days post surgery:) A couple of questions.....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
I can only imagine that every patient is unique in their recovery. I donated a kidney in 2008. Surgery was on a Wednesday and I was told to expect to be released by Saturday. Saturday morning I became real ill and after many tests they found that my bowel had twisted during the surgery and everything was backing up. By Sunday afternoon the problem had corrected itself and I was released Monday. I too was given pain killers but I never used any of them. I had no discomfort or pain at all. In fact, that Saturday I was in a canoe race.
I was 38y/o at the time but a friend who was in her 60's had a terrible recovery when she donated to her brother. We recently spoke with each other about our experiences. She was a nurse at my personal Doctors and she had taken care of all my pre-op testing and physicals. Her surgery was the year prior to mine. She never told me prior to my surgery how difficult it was for her and in hind site I am glad she didn't.
The shifting and settling are normal I believe. As I mentioned before my bowel had righted itself on its own so I would have to assume other organs moved as well. It really is unfortunate that your coordinator isn't more helpful. The woman I had was fantastic. Every person involved with my procedure were beyond great. Perhaps you could call your surgeons office? I have been back to my surgeon twice now for check-ups and he has been very helpful.
Good luck to you and to a speedy recovery.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Dear midwestgal,

First of all !*HOORAY*! for your successful donation. 

I also had quite a struggle with my digestive system after the surgery.  Unfortunately, it is only made worse by narcotic painkillers. Stool softeners were not enough.  I added prunes, a mild laxative and glycerin suppositories to the arsenal.   The suppository really saved the day.  It was the cause of a brief but silly celebration.  Walking is also very helpful. 

I found that taking one painkiller tablet at a time was sufficient.  Tylenol would not have worked, at least during the first week. 

Love, elephant

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts!!
Nice to know that what I am experencing seems to be normal.

I am trying to alternate persciption/tylenol every 4 hours.
Time will tell.   Yes, Elephant......I totally agree.....the first week is not the time!!

Maynard: WOW......I can not imagine any major physical activity at this point!  AWSOME that you felt that great & I am a bit jealous....lol ;D    And I agree.....I would not have wanted to know exactly how aweful the first few days would be.  Ignorance is bliss ;)

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »
First of all, congrats & welcome to the club!

Be aware of the side effects (like increased constipation) of the pain killers, but CONTROL your pain!  Studies have shown that uncontrolled acute pain post-op (in general, not just this surgery) can lead to problems down the road with chronic pain issues.  The prescriptions are there for a reason, so use them when you need them.  If they're not cutting it or are causing problems, talk with your team.

The bowel issues were my biggest complaint post-op.  I was taking as much water as I could, walking often, and eating prunes & other high-fiber foods on top of the prescribed senna twice a day.  Milk of mag ended up being my savior.  Walking is amazing for GI motility, but again, have to get the pain under control first.  I don't know if your center gave you a timeline, but at post-op day six if you are still not having results I might touch base with them. 

I very distinctly remember the "insides are repositioning themselves" feeling.  Wasn't pain, but as I turned, especially to my surgical side, I could imagine - and hear! - something like all my intestines falling into my kidney void.  Just comical, it resolved as I got rid of that extra fluid and my tissues started to heal more inside.  No worries.

"But I don't find her helpful........she is quick to dismiss my concerns & makes me feel like I am a bother to her or like I am making a big deal out of nothing."  I have perceived the same at times from my coordinator.  It's an unfortunate situation and I don't know how much is just my interpretation, but it does make you hesitant to call about concerns.  As donors we really have to advocate for ourselves no matter what.  If you really feel that your needs aren't being met or your coordinator isn't handling things appropriately, I know several people on this board have mentioned Living Donor Advocates.  Maybe your center has one of those to talk to?  Best of luck!

sparky720

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Hi Everyone,

The best method I have found for this type of discomfort is to use the Fleet Saline Laxative enema.  It's incredible gentle, and works within 5 minutes.  It's mainly sodium phosphate, which is a laxative/bowel cleaner.  You can find it at any drug store and it's reasonable priced. You can even get the twin packs, because you may need more than one as the tylenol in the pain medication is what causes the constipation.  I hope this helps.

Sparky720

p.s. I am 84 days away from donating my kidney to my husband.  I've researching after care for several weeks now.  So far this doctor recommended, even by Dr. Oz.

Good Luck!!

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »
Congrats on the donation!  Hope your sister in law is doing well.

I was sent home with Tylenol. That was it.  I had nothing else for pain.  Wish I had but, I also had very slow bowels after surgery from the surgery and the after surgery pain pump.  Miralax is very helpful, prunes were good also.  Stool softeners really just gave me gas and bloating.  Now I use a daily probiotic as I am taking 65 mgs of iron daily, per the neuphologist orders.  Fleet enemas are a last resort but, use it if you must. Warm in a sink of hot water first.  A week is a long time to not have had a BM.  Be sure to get some relief soon or you will end up on the ER with complications.

Walk around the house for at least 10 to 15 minutes 3-4 times a day to get things moving and to move out the gas you were blown up with.  The CO2 gas can make you very achy and sore as well.  

Drink 2 qts of water a day.  I buy my water as I like the taste better and I can drink that much a day then.  This is for the rest of your life now that you have only one kidney, you have to keep it happy and flushed.  

No or low salt use is also imperative.  So little or no boxed foods, canned soups, dry packaged goods, fast foods and a lot of restaruant foods.  More healthy whole foods self prepared foods from now on.  I keep my sodium intake to 1000mg or less a day, including any tomato product.  I count my sodium as well as calories these days.  This will also help with your healing at this time.  No fried foods right now either as that slows healing.  All the green leafy veggies you can eat, fresh fruit and veggies.  Protein intake should be the size of a deck of cards per meal, about 25 gms.  Be careful of any protein powders, be sure to ok with dietician as your singular kidney may not be able to handle the protein load.  They should be able to connect you with one that works with kidney dialysis patients, lots of good information from them.  Again, life long habits if you need to make any changes at this time.

Regular exercise is also imperative, you don't have to become a marthoner, just take care and have a healthy BMI.  Walking is one of the best exercises now that you are recovering, add a little distance each day if you can.

Best wishes,  Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Johnny_t

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
Hi midwestgal,

Congratulations on your donation!  You have done a remarking thing!

I too donated 6 days ago on April 3rd (chain donation for my girlfriend).  I tried to use only tylenol yesterday but that didn't quite work out.  The pain was pretty bad.  I've just scaled back the Vicodin to every 6 to 8 hours for now.  Luckily, I haven't had any problems with bowel movements.  It seems I'm making a speedy recovery, although my girlfriend is having a bit of complications. 

Things I've been doing to help me recover:  I've been walking.  I'm a very active person and prior to surgery I would run 5 miles often, but now obviously I cannot.  So, since I was released (april 4th), I've been gradually increasing the distance I've been walking.  On April 4th I just walked the floor of the hospital once.  That was quite a challenge.  April 5th I walked a mile.  It took me almost an hour, but I honestly felt much better after the walk.  I've noticed that although I don't feel like walking and it hurts, I always feel better after.  April 6th, walked 1.5 miles, and yesterday I walked about 2 miles.  Yesterday I was able to walk at a "normal" pace and kept up with other pedestrians.

Although you may not feel like it, try to walk.  It's really the best thing you could do for yourself.  My transplant coordinator stressed this to me soooo much, and she was very right!

It might be worth the long drive to get pain meds.  I don't know if I could get by with just Tylenol, although I know I need to start driving soon so I need to try very soon to lay off of the pain meds.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
I donated 2 months ago, and I stopped using pain meds pretty quickly, I think I only took it for a day or two after discharge. I didn't have a lot of pain and they didn't seem to help much more than Tylenol anyway.

I was discharged 24 hours after surgery, with prescriptions for Colace and Senna, and just took them as prescribed like a good patient...ummm, yeah, diarrhea was pretty bad, but it cleared up quickly. My bowels got back on track pretty soon.

I never felt the insides repositioning thing, but I wasn't really paying attention for such things, I guess.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
      Hi. Congratulations!
      Just to add 2 more thoughts:
--- adding some yogurt to the diet can sometimes help get digestion back toward normal. Sometimes antibiotics administered with the surgery can kill off helpful bacteria in the gut as well, and yogurt can help replace them.
--- gentle bending and stretching (in addition to walking) can be very helpful. There is indeed a "space" where the kidney was, so the innards do shift around to get themselves re-arrabged comfortably. Exercise can help that process.
  best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
Sadly, pressure pain will never be relieved by narcotics.  You will be a new woman once you use the bathroom.  I recommend using methods approved by your doctor.  Also, eat prunes.

My state has similar laws regarding pain medication.  You can always go to your PCP for a refill.

I broke my medication into quarters.  I was not prescribed an extended release medication and spoke with my pharmacist friend first.  I never took more than prescribed in a dosing period.  I also had great relief with massage and a heating pad.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
Thank you friends!!!

Yesterday was a successful day ;D
Milk of mag-yucky & prune juice........honestly, I think the prune juice was the most helpful.

I was a bit surprised by the Fleet Enema suggestions.
I was told NEVER again should I use an enema, that they are not kidney friendly.
Once again proving that every practitioner has their own way of doing things.

It gives me great comfort to know that I am not alone on the shifting of organs feeling.

Thanks again for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Cheers! 

love,
elephant

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the club.  Glad you're finally "Moving"  ;D     I agree that the shifting of your insides is common and normal, although a bit uncomfortable and unsettling.  If you have the chance, you should look for the prunes in a bag - they are really good for you and work o-so-well on keeping you regular.  The juice is fine but anytime you concentrate fruits, they lose some of their nutrient value (such as vitamins and antioxidants).

I hope you're road to recovery, health and fitness continues at break-neck speed.  God Bless and again, congratulations to you both.

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
My husband has been a life long transplant patient and has been advised to use fleet enemas in the past by his nephrologist.  I imagine different centers have different recommendations for different reasons. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved