| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My Transplant Experience.... Finally.  (Read 9263 times)

Offline kayla1578

• Top 100 Poster!
My Transplant Experience.... Finally.
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Hi everyone.  I know I promised a post surgery update long ago, but I was unable to write it until now.  I'm sorry for being away so long.

On November 18th, 2011 I donated my left kidney to my aunt Shirlee.  On February 6th, 2012 she passed away in ICU at OSU Medical Center.

When we checked into the hospital on November 17th, my aunt had over 20 lbs of excess fluid on her.  She had not been on dialysis yet and had been trying to avoid dialysis since we knew the surgery date was coming up.  She was late arriving at the hospital because she had been sick all morning.  Once we checked in at the hospital they evaluated my aunt and said she had to get at least 10 lbs of fluid off before they could proceed with surgery.  They ran dialysis through most of the night.  She continually had complications with blood pressure during dialysis and her body didn’t seem to tolerate dialysis well. Surgery was rescheduled for later in the day, but she never lost enough fluid. Finally the doctor’s decided it was good enough and they released her for surgery. 

They took me first for surgery.  I was so excited to get it done.  I just remember being so sad and tired of seeing her sick, I just kept thinking once it was done she was going to get better.  I just wanted them to hurry so she could start feeling better. My whole family was there to pray with us and see me off.  It was a touching moment to see them all lining the hallway, especially my husband.  I looked into his eyes as they were wheeling me away and I felt so loved and reassured.

I’d been gone a little while when my aunt’s doctors called the surgical team and told them to stop because my aunt’s blood pressure was unstable.  The surgery team said it was already too late, they already had me in surgery and had me open.  They had to make the decision to continue with surgery at that point. 

The surgery itself went very well.  The doctor’s were impressed with the kidney and its health and size and said that it began working immediately.  The kidney proceeded to flush all of the fluid off of her over the next 24 hours or so.  It actually became hard on the rest of her system because the kidney was working too well and was stressing her other organs.

Recovery for me was hard.  I’ve always been pretty physically strong and healthy and  I’d never had surgery before and I knew I was unprepared for what it would feel like afterward.  I never was able to decide if it was harder or easier than I thought it would be.  The first two days after surgery were the most miserable of my life.  Thankfully it’s pretty hazy due to the drugs.  I just remember half of me wishing everyone would go away so I could be miserable in peace and half of me feeling pathetic and scared and not wanting people to leave me.  There were times in the night when the pain medicine made me so sick and I think I finally knew what real pain and sickness really felt like.

At first my aunt did feel better.  Everyone said to expect her to feel amazing and have all kinds of energy from the steroids and from finally having a functioning kidney after being sick for so long, but that never really happened for her.   As we learned later, infection had probably set in almost immediately and it took a while for anyone to realize it was there. 

Everyone said that they would be trying to get me up walking right away and I needed to walk in order to start feeling better.  But that didn’t happen at OSU.  They pretty much left me alone and I had to keep asking for them to help me get up.  I was basically ignored the first couple times I asked and then finally an aid helped me to get up and walk to the bathroom.  The hospital was actually trying to push me out before I had even walked out of my room (about 1.5 days after surgery), but I was scared to leave so soon.  I pushed back and they kept me one more day, but they weren’t happy about it and they pretty much ignored me for the next 24 hours.  The one thing I can tell you from all of my experience, avoid being in the hospital during the weekend if at all possible.  It’s a totally different place.  I felt like all the doctors and nurses went home for the weekend and I was basically ignored.

My recovery at home went really well.  I’m an independent person and I hate having people do things for me, so I pushed myself pretty hard.  I was off of the pain meds after two days at home and just took some Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep.  I was driving after a week or so and could do things around the house (while being very careful not to lift things that were too heavy or to move the wrong way).  I just tried to listen to my body and do as much as I felt like it could take.  The biggest issue I had was being tired all the time and needing to nap.  I also think I spent two solid weeks with that kidney pillow “glued” to my stomach.  I was so thankful for it.  It made me feel really secure and it helped with getting up and down and provided a cushion between me and the seat belt. I also learned I couldn’t walk around stores much.  I’d get to the back of the store and then feel like my guts were going to fall out and be afraid I couldn’t make it back to the front.  It was a horrible feeling. I went back to work for part days after 3 weeks.  I had a desk job, but it was still very hard on me.  Don’t listen to the people who say you only need a week off of work.  Everyone said my recovery was amazing and fast, but three weeks was still almost too soon for me. Making a long commute, climbing stairs and sitting at a desk all takes a toll on you.

As for my aunt… she was home for about two weeks and just got sicker and sicker.  She eventually ended up back in the hospital.  She had several surgeries to remove infection and dead tissue.  She never really made it out of ICU. After fighting for about 2 months in ICU, being on a vent, having heart failure, and multiple surgeries… she ended up going home to be with Jesus.  I feel like I could write a book about what she went through and what me and the rest of my family went through, but for the purposes of this forum I’ll keep it short. 

Basically, my aunt was much sicker than I think any of us really realized.  I don’t think surgery was the best choice for her, but that’s something that we know now that we didn’t know then.  On the other hand, I’m not sure she could have tolerated dialysis long-term either.  Her body didn’t respond well to it any time that she had it before surgery or while she was in ICU.

I’m very disappointed in the transplant community after my experience.  I feel like everyone is so afraid that if people knew the truth about how hard transplant is on donors and recipients then they wouldn’t want to do it.  That’s not true.  If I thought it would save my aunt’s life, I would do it all over again, even knowing what I know now.  I’m just disappointed that people who are “in the know” spent so much time trying to paint this rosy picture and glossed over all of the possible negatives.  I’m also disappointed that my aunt was so uninformed.  She didn’t get any of the attention or training that I got pre and post surgery.

My aunt officially died of infection and intolerance to anti-rejection medication.  I understand now that this is fairly common.  Many people who have transplants are so sick to begin with that their bodies can’t fight the inevitable infections and can’t tolerate any of the different anti-rejection medications. Maybe it’s partially our fault.  Maybe we didn’t want to hear the negatives, but I feel like it’s partially the transplant centers fault as well.  My aunt’s other doctors had a lot of questions and reservations about her having a transplant, but the transplant team “poo-pood” all of their concerns.  And then the transplant center ignored her worries after she went home and was afraid that something was wrong.

I just want to caution people to do research on their own.  Everyone who talks to you has their own feelings and they’ll try to sell you on what they think is right.  Get informed and try to make your own decision about whether surgery is right for you.  I don’t regret the surgery for my sake, but the loss of my aunt irreparably damaged her daughter, my family and me.  You have to decide if you’re prepared to lose your loved one after surgery, because it does happen.

As for me, I’m doing pretty well these days.  I have a lot of emotional baggage that I’m trying to figure out how to work through. This is the first time I’ve been able to talk about the ordeal really.  I find that most of the time I try to not remember any of it. Physically I’m pretty good, except that I do continue to have a good deal of pain in my side and lower back, especially after being on my feet for very long. I call it my ghost kidney pain.  I don’t like looking at my scars in the mirror.  I thought they’d be a sort of badge of honor reminding me that I honored God by sacrificing of myself for someone else. Instead they’re a reminder of losing my aunt and the fact that my cousin is now an orphan.  I also have to deal with grieving family members.  Some of whom even blamed me after my aunt’s death and didn’t want to see me.  You never imagine that something like that can happen, but it can and does.  It’s heartbreaking.  But God has proven His love to me over and over again and I believe that there will be a day that He’ll make something beautiful out of this too.

I didn’t write this to discourage people from donating.  I think giving a part of yourself to save someone else’s life is the most amazing thing you can do.  I just think that you need to know that this is a gamble.  Things can turn out wonderful or things can go all wrong.  If you’re aware of that ahead of time you and your recipient can both evaluate your situations and both decide if the gamble is worth the risk to you.

If you have any specific questions for me, please feel free to ask.  My own journey has been hard and disappointing, but I know others’ journeys have been miraculous and amazing and I still believe in the miracle of transplants. I would love to provide you with any information about my personal experience that you’d like.

Most of all, I wish you blessings upon blessings for your transplant decision and process.  Remember that no matter what happens, this world is our temporary home.  What comes after is what really matters. My greatest consolation is knowing that my aunt loved God with all of her heart and she’s with Him now just waiting for the day that we all join her for our eternal lives with our Father.

With Love,
Amanda

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
Re: My Transplant Experience.... Finally.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a personal story with us while you're still grieving.  You make very good points, and I think it's important for potential donors and recipients to hear real stories like this.  While transplant can be a miracle treatment for many patients out there, it has very real risks for both sides and may not be the safest/best option for some people.  Hopefully transplant centers are explaining these risks well but like you said, it's hard to hear the negative when you're focused on the assumed benefit surgery will bring. 

I'm so sorry for the loss of your aunt.  You committed a selfless act to try to help and I'm sorry you didn't see the results you had hoped for.  I pray you have a good support system around you.  Has your transplant center offered any sort of support?  I know you weren't satisfied with all parts of your hospitalization but if you ask the transplant center should be able to hook you up with a social worker or someone if you need another unbiased person to process this with.  This forum, of course, is also a great place to discuss the whole ordeal; although most of the stories are of sunshine & miracles, I know you are not alone in your experience.

Take care of yourself, and thank you for your update

Best
Jenny

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »
Dear Amanda,

I am sorry to hear that your beloved Aunt passed away.  May her memory be eternal. 

I also still had tenderness in my belly six months after surgery, but it continued to gradually improve.  Your scars will fade more as well, I hope both the physical and emotional ones.

Love, elephant

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »
     Thanks so much for sharing your story. Potential donors should be helped to be well aware of all the possible results. I hope and pray that you will find comfort and peace. You really did your best, and should always be proud of that.
   Fr. Pat

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »
{{HUGS}}
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
Kayla,

I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with you that transplant donors are not often prepared for what may happen. Each patient is different and therefore it is difficult to apply the statistics of successful transplants to all recipients. I hope after you have a chance to decompress a little you will seek some professional help from a social worker or psychologist. I felt like I needed a "debriefing" after my surgery. The entire transplant journey is so emotionally draining when things go well, I can't even begin to imagine how emotionally charged it is when things don't go well.

I am sorry that you did not feel supported by your transplant team. Again, when you feel up to it, it may help you to express in writing where the shortcomings are. Change will never happen if donors do not demand better treatment. The hospitals and doctors want to treat their patients and often they forget that the treatments involve human beings attached to those coveted organs.

You gave a wonderful gift. Often we can't always understand the meaning of the way things turn out. From your post it appears that you rely on your faith. I hope your belief and convictions help you to come to terms with this loss and bring you comfort. Your relative passed knowing that someone loved her so much to sacrifice for her. This is truly a blessing. Best wishes for a completer recovery.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experience.  My sincere best wishes for good health and peace about your decision.

I want to point out that if the transplant had not taken place because of your aunt's ill health, the outcome may have been the same.  Then you would be blaming yourself for NOT insisting on the surgery when the team was waffling between going ahead and calling it off completely.  I know it's difficult, but don't second guess because the "what-if" situations are exactly that, "what if".  Your aunt definitely would not have gotten better without the transplant and you could not have known she wasn't going to get better with it.  As I see it, it was a no-win situation for you.

As for the hospital, I strongly suggest you write down all of your experience and report it to administration and the head of the transplant department.  I thought Loyola was bad -- your experience was much worse!  I always suggest that anyone in the hospital have a friend or relative with them at all times visitors are allowed, to advocate for them with the staff.

You sound like you have a positive handle on the situation and I'm sure you will come out of this stronger.  Don't stop sharing your story.  I agree that people need to hear it.
audrey

Offline brenda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
Amanda,

Thank you. Thank you very much for posting the good and the bad of being a donor. I also had a very mixed experience and I really appreciated reading your post. The part about being ignored in the hospital really rings true to me as well. I was actually put on the Neurology unit and the nurses had no clue as to how to help me stand up or to protect my incision. When I asked for pain meds and said the pain was like being in one position too long, the nurse told me to turn over and walked away.  I couldn't turn over (as you know) and I couldn't pull myself into another position. My transplant center (Georgetown University Hospital) says "Donors are our heros," but they really truly sucked at taking care of me. And I would still do it to take care of my recipient.

Be gentle with yourself.
Brenda

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
So sorry about your experience and the loss of your aunt.

I'd imagine everyone goes into donation assuming they won't be in the small percentage of people who lose their recipient or have complications themselves, I know I did. I also know I did tons of research but in the end put a lot of blind faith in the medical team and would have been very disappointed if they had let me down in that way.

This probably speaks to some of the concerns I've read about there being no real protocol that every transplant center is supposed to follow and how that affects quality from center to center.  My experience was overwhelmingly positive but it seems that's not the case everywhere.

I agree with the poster who suggested a therapist to help you cope with this experience. It's bad enough to lose your beloved aunt AND your kidney, but to have your family irrationally blame you (the person trying to save her life) must be very tough.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

Offline Lansdowne11

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
Just to start, I want to remind you that you did a wonderful thing. As donors, we have to remember that the person receiving our gift is very ill to begin with, and our donation may not be the miracle we all hope for. I am fortunate in that my recipient is doing well. He had had a heart transplant ten years prior to receiving my kidney, and that meant anti-rejection drugs were already part of his routine. Those drugs are very dangerous when inflection sets in, and no one can guarantee a positive outcome once it does.

As far as your treatment in the hospital post-surgery, I have to say shame on the staff there. I donated at Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia, and I have to say the transplant team and the hospital staff were excellent. I always felt supported and cared for, and when my blood levels weren't perfect, I was made to stay an extra day as a precaution. The real heroes in the hospital were the nurses and nurses' assistants. They were all appropriately caring and helpful, without being smothering. I hope you let the transplant team at your hospital know about the shabby treatment you received. You deserved better.

Please know that you did more than most people would have ever considered. Who could ask for more? Let us all know how you're feeling as time goes on. 

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
Dear Amanda,
Thank you for sharing your painful story.  It is so important for potential donors to know what could happen.  I am sorry the outcome was so sad for you.  Be well.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:11:29 PM »
What a blessing to have your faith in Jesus and God's promises to sustain you during this difficult time.  This is one more time in your life where you must walk by faith and not by sight.  Somehow we know that all is well even though it doesn't seem or feel like it.  "Be still my soul."

Offline kayla1578

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
I have just realized that I don't think I ever thanked everyone for their extremely kind words, comfort and guidance after I posted about my transplant experience. I'm so sorry for that. I did seek some counseling shortly after posting my story and it was a big help to me. Time has also helped to heal me some and put some things in perspective. I have stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease now following the transplant and trying hard to take care of myself so that I don't end up on the transplant list myself. The scars are fading though and I don't cringe so much when I see them in the mirror. My family has healed some also. Life goes on, we live, we learn, we grow, and hopefully we bring light and joy to others as we're on our journey. Thank you all dr bringing some light and healing to me.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »
Dear Amanda,

I'm really happy to hear you are doing better, I'm sure that process will continue. 

I think many donors could be classified as in 'Chronic Kidney Disease' based on a simple scale.  However the donation of a kidney may not equate to the loss of kidney function from active disease, as our remaining kidney function usually does not continue to rapidly decline.  Are you under the care of a Nephrologist?  If not, I would suggest you consult with one.   Since kidney donors are rare, other medical professionals may not have the experience to care for a donor and evaluate their test results.

Love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional