| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: "New York Mom Fired After Donating Kidney to Help Boss"  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Christine Robinson

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Beside the Quiet Voices
"New York Mom Fired After Donating Kidney to Help Boss"
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »
Sensational headlines for your entertainment.  No thinking required as we have pre-judged this issue on your, the reader's behalf. 

That should be the disclaimer posted with every mainstream media article.

Beyond the headline, I have been thinking this thought:  Had the donor had an advocate, maybe this never would have happened.

In case you haven't seen the story, see below. 

Huffington-Post seems to be the least sensationalistic in their presentation of this story: 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/23/kidney-transplant-donor-debbie-stevens-fired_n_1446441.html

And Jack Marshall of Ethics Alarms asks some interesting questions: 
http://ethicsalarms.com/2012/04/23/ethics-chess-lesson-the-tale-of-the-kidney-and-the-ungrateful-boss/ 
(Full disclosure: I commented on this post and was designated "comment of the day," probably because I'm the only living donor who commented.)

I wonder what sort of follow-up or support Stevens received from the center that harvested her kidney.  It's disturbing to me that the story focuses only on the demonization of "the boss" and the victimization of "the donor."  Both bear some responsibility for this predictable outcome.  Where was the donor advocate?

Christine

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: "New York Mom Fired After Donating Kidney to Help Boss"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
     The stories neglect to mention an important fact: the anti-rejection drugs (especially in the large dosages given right after the transplant, before they are evaluated and tapered down) can have serious negative psychological side-effects in some recipients. Some famiies have reported that the usually-nice recipient became a "monster" of ingratitude and unkindness after surgery until the meds were reduced/changed. Recipients (and their families) should be warned to be aware of this possibility. An employer trying to make decisions while on massive dosages of new drugs during the month right after major life-changing surgery MAY be prone to make some BAD decisions.
    Fr. Pat

Offline Christine Robinson

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Beside the Quiet Voices
Re: "New York Mom Fired After Donating Kidney to Help Boss"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
Very good point. 

What a mess of a news story and tragic for both parties that the media will dissect only the most sensational aspects of the story.

CR

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved