| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for today - and as I said before...  (Read 5842 times)

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
Surgery scheduled for today - and as I said before...
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
Well, I was scheduled today to donate my right kidney to my uncle.  As I posted previously, with all of the issues and obstacles thus far I would believe we were good to go when they rolled me back for surgery.  Checked in yesterday, got admitted, did blood work, ekg, urine sample, and several other tests.  Met with my transplant coordinator who is awesome.  She gave me a t-shirt and requested my uncle and I take a picture together with our t-shirts after surgery and send to her.  Then, my uncle's tests showed he had really, really low red blood cell count, toxin levels off the chart, and was too weak to proceed with surgery.  He had a kidney transplant previously that is in failure.  We found out that his current kidney is functioning only at 6% as well.  Rather long story regarding miscommunications with his home doctor and the transplant team.  So, he is still at UAB for several more days doing blood transfusions, dialysis, and several other tests.  I am back home. 

Next steps is to get his system built up some, repeat the cross-matches since new antibodies could form from the blood donation, and re-schedule.  Hopefully that won't push us out much longer.  I anticipate September timeframe but you never know.

Just glad that we did not risk his life and proceed prematurely.  The folks at UAB in Birmingham rock!  Best facility I have ever set foot in.  And, though we are disappointed, as I noted earlier - I am learning to let things take their proper course.  We will have our day for surgery soon and in the right time.  I have to be patient and continue focusing on doing everything I can to take care of myself so in the end I can take care of him. 

-Scott
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Surgery scheduled for today - and as I said before...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
My husband's antibodies actually decreased after numerous blood transfusions from gi bleeding.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
Yes, I don't believe we have anything to really worry about too much on the antibodies issue.  The immuno drugs greatly reduce that risk.  However, standard procedure is apparently to give the blood, wait 4 to 6 weeks and do the cross-match again, re-clear for surgery, schedule surgery, possibly another cross-match depending on date of surgery, and then show up at hospital again.

At this point I still don't think we have anything too much to worry about on the match side.  If anything shows up then I am game for a paired match.  And, have thought about even suggesting now that we have the delay whether or not doing a paired match would benefit any other recepients out there.  However, right now we have a perfect match from a relative who is a living donor.  Not sure if we did the paired match if his chances of success would be compromised.  I don't want to delay his transplant or compromise his potential success though.
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
Dear Scott,
      I admire your patience! That must have been very disappointing. I do agree that it looks like you have a great hospital that is really trying to make sure that the transplant will be a success. You can only donate once in your life, so it is good to wait for the best possible moment. The surgeons and hospital get paid for two surgeries regardless of whether they are successful or not, so I think it is great that they are being careful for the sake of both donor and recipient.
      Please keep us informed.
     Fr. Pat

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
I was a donor at University of Alabama-Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:59:28 AM »
and yes, they ROCK, indeed!   The absolute finest medical facility I have ever set foot in, also!  (And I work in one of Chicago's largest medical centers....)

I trust the Transplant Team at UAB fully.   And yes, it is frustrating, but the LORD knows what is happening.....and your time will come.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Rinnierich

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I gave a doctor his life back.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »
Take these "set backs" as a god send. I experienced them as well when donating (ie last minute antibodies showing due to the flu shot). Everything happens for a reason and when the transplant is meant to happen it will! Best of luck and try to take each day as another day to mentally prepare.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional