| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Detox Tea  (Read 4589 times)

Offline boogerj

• Conversationalist
Detox Tea
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
Is it good, bad, or neutral to drink detox tea, specifcally two weeks before the final evaluation and/or before transplant?  I've got a box of Yogi Tea with burdock & dandelion to eliminate impurities, and sarsaparilla & juniper berry to promote healthy kidney & liver function, according to the box.  Any thoughts?

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Detox Tea
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
Would not use any herbal supplements before clearing it with your physician. Some supplements can have a detrimental effect or interact with medications especially ones used in anaesthesia. So definitely don't take any medications, vitamins or supplements without clearing it with your doctors just to be sure. If this is something you want to use post donation find out if it is safe.

Good luck

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Detox Tea
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
I am always suspect of supplements anyway. They are unregulated, and too many contain either too much or too little of what they advertise, or contain things they should not have in them - such as heavy metals. We know two people who have had liver transplants brought on specifically from using certain supplements.  I agree with Sherri that you should take nothing without checking it out with your transplant coordinator.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional