| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery May 14th  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Vickie

• Top 200 Poster!
Surgery May 14th
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
Surgery is scheduled for Monday! I am excited and a little apprhensive as well...I want to thank everyone for all the information I have gained from reading their posts! I can't wait to be on the other side of this surgery!!  ;D

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Surgery May 14th
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Dear Vickie,

I hope all goes well for you and your recipient. 

Love, elephant

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
Best wishes on the upcoming surgery.  A suggestion, ask for the patch that goes behind your ear for nausea before going into surgery, it is great!  I didn't have it for my donation surgery and really had a lot of nausea but did for some other surgery of about the same duration 6 months later and had the patch, what a difference.  Sat up, eat crackers and had a ginger ale, felt great!  Ginger ale will settle your stomach, I took my own for my second surgery just incase the hospital didn't have any.

I also recommend the day before surgery to eat a normal breakfast but for the rest of the day eat clear broth soup, jello, popscicles, anything clear and light on the stomach.  No salads or cream base soups, no big heavy food, stay away from salty stuff of course.  I did this with the second surgery and that might be why I felt so good.

Be well hydrated the day before and drink water right up until the cut off time.

Put on some lip moisterizer before going into surgery to prevent chapped lips and for afterwards as well.

Take a pillow in the car for the ride home to put across the incision area for padding from the seat belt and to hug if going over bumps.

Walk, walk, walk, all you can in the hospital.  Get moving and get that gas out of you and get the internal organs moving again.  And take a shower as soon as you feel up to it, it is heaven.  Get that operating room stuff off you skin so it can breathe.

Just remember we are all here to answer questions as best we can, and to be your own personal support group.   Lean on us at anytime.  We have all been through it at this point.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
God's blessings for a safe and successful procedure for both you and your recipient.  :) I will wait to hear as I am not that far behind you.  Jeff

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 02:19:32 AM »
Best wishes and prayer for your surgeries.
   Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:33:34 PM »
Oooh, just beware of the patch...it did help me with nausea (I think, nothing to compare to) but I took it off unknowingly 2 days post-surgery and I felt like I was intensely seasick for two days. It was horrible, the worst part of my recovery by far. I guess I was supposed to put a new one on, but I don't know if that would have delayed the problem. Some people have withdrawal from Scopolamine patches, and I'm one of the lucky ones.

I had an easy recovery other than that.

Offline Skillet

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »
I hope all went well!!  The wait is the worst.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved