| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Renal function after donation  (Read 21262 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Re: Renal function after donation
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »
Well thank you I think for this info and the benefit of your experience and knowledge.  My creatinine before donation was under one with a GFR around 100 by the good folks at UCSF.  At nine months post donation it was 1.6 thus with a much lower GFR.  I understand some at my age at 61 have experienced a gradual decline in creatinine so I was still hopeful but now I see the word "worrisome." here.  I have made an appt with a local nephrologist and will see what he has to say.  I haven't said anything to my recipient but his labs are better than mine in this respect.  I was glad to be generous but not sure i wanted to be that generous.  ;)

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
I was almost 60YOA when I donated.  I started with a GFR of 90. I was 60GFR at my first 6 month check up, then started dropping until I was 42GFR at 1 1/2 year and the creatinine was creeping up as well. I am now back up to 59GFR at 62YOA with the creatinine at under 1.

I would like to add that diet is huge after donation.  Less red meat, including pork,maybe one meal a week, add a lot of seafood and fish, chicken moderately consumed.  Less dairy and animal protein in general.  I try to have one non-animal protein meal a day and that includes dairy.  Add nuts of most varieties instead for a good protein substitute.  Eat all the veggies you want, many are good protein sources and easier for the kidney to filter and a fair amount of fruit.  Fresh or steamed is the best, frozen almost as good, stay away from metal canned foods in general, BPH in the can coating.  All this I learned when trying to figure out what to eat.  Organic is good if you are going to eat the outside of the fresh food and wild caught fish is best.

Drink at least 2 qts or liters of filtered water a day, but not a lot more in liquid or you will flush needed minerals out of your body.

If you are fairly physically active that can affect you test results as well.  Creatinine is dead protein in the blood and that can be depleated muscle cells that your body is flushing as waste not just what you have consumed in food.

I was told by a dietician to keep my protein intake to about 35-40 grams a day for my height and weight. 1 oz of meat, or 1 egg is about 7 grams of protein. I would recommend making an appointment with a dietician and then keeping a food journal for about a week before so they can see what you consume in an average week.  That is what I did and the dietician immedatly saw I was consuming more protein that I should be.  I changed my diet and my labs where perfect at my last follow up physical.  The creatinine had been creeping up and the GFR down each time i went in so I knew it was time to get to the bottom of this.

You must be your own advocate on this, your health is your business.  Don't trust others to do right by you, you have to get all the information you can for your health and well being.  Your kidney needs to last you a very long time yet.  Take care of it.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
Thanks dodger for taking the time to write these very helpful words.  My primary doctor never mentioned any changes I could make though she was evidently not happy with  my creatinine.  I read your words to my wife who is an RN and an advocate for a good diet.  I had made some changes like good hydration but not  enough.  I will add an appt with a dietician to my round of visits.  Thank you for reminding me that ultimately I have to be the steward of my health care. 

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 09:41:38 PM »
I am so glad my post may give you some additional information for continued good health! 

I would like to add that I have taken a Vit D 1000 mg in addition to the calcium supplements I take that also contain Vit D.  We live in a Northern climate and deffinatly do not get enough Vit D from the sun as working in doors prevents getting the strong rays. 

I have been diagnosed with moderate osteopenia years ago and it has gotten better but has taken years of eating right, exercise, and taking supplements.  My mother had osteoporosis so I don't want to go down that road.  I also take magnesium supplements as they protect the cardio vascular system from calcification of the supplements.  I have had blood work to specificly test those levels and they are well within normal so I am continuing what I am doing.

You have to ask for some test specificly when getting  blood work done.  Again, you have to advocate for yourself to get the answers you need for your health.  Best wishes to all, this is a great site!
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved