| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Chattanooga Family Benefits From ''Domino Transplant''  (Read 5086 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Chattanooga Family Benefits From ''Domino Transplant''
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:45:03 PM »
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/transplant-998445-woman-felt.html

Chattanooga Family Benefits From ''Domino Transplant''

After reading an article in her local paper about a woman desperately needing a kidney transplant, Diane Seale of Milton, Ga., felt compelled to help and called the Piedmont Hospital Transplant Institute, where the woman was a patient.

“If you are presented with an opportunity to save a person’s life, why not do everything you can to help?” Seale asks. “I was fortunate enough to have my good health, and here was this woman who has children just like me. I thought long and hard about it, and I knew I had to try.”

After testing, she discovered she was not a match for the woman’s rare antibody combination. However, Seale decided to donate a kidney anyway and volunteered as an unmatched donor.

Thanks to a matching process at Piedmont Transplant Institute called domino pairing, she essentially saved the lives of two strangers.

In paired donations, those who want to donate, but are not a match for their intended recipient, can swap recipients with another similarly incompatible pair. Paired donation programs help increase the probability of transplant patients finding compatible living donors.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved