| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Transplant Games: More Than 3K Organ Recipients, Donor Families, Supporters  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
July 23, 2012, 10:00 a.m. EDT

More Than 3,000 Organ Recipients, Donor Family Members And Supporters To Converge For 2012 Transplant Games of America's Opening Ceremony

Event to highlight the need for organ donations and the importance of donor registries

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., July 23, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- On Saturday, July 28, 2012, the Transplant Games of America will host opening ceremonies to mark the start of its 2012 Games. The ceremony will be held at Van Andel Arena in downtown Grand Rapids and will run from 7:15 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.

Key features of this year's opening ceremony are the parade of athletes, donor families and living donors as well as the lighting of the Transplant Games Cauldron. In addition, representatives from state government and several organ donor organizations will be in attendance to promote the importance of organ donation and its impact on the lives of recipients. Admission to the opening ceremony is $15. Individuals unable to attend can view the events online at www.transplantgamesofamerica.org/opening-ceremony .

The 2012 opening ceremony is supported by a grant from Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation (NPC), a pioneer in transplantation dedicated to the advancement of patient outcomes in transplantation medicine.

"Novartis is committed to providing innovative treatment solutions and first-in-class support services to meet the needs of transplant recipients and their families," said Carol Lynch, Vice President, Head of the Specialty Business Unit at NPC. "We are proud to be a part of The Transplant Games of America to help support their goals and continue to drive greater awareness of and celebrate the life-saving gift of organ donation."

The Transplant Games of America, a multi-sport event for athletes who have undergone life-saving transplant surgeries and living donors, will be held at Grand Valley State University from Saturday, July 28, 2012 through Tuesday, July 31, 2012. The Transplant Games of America follow the tradition of the U.S. Transplant Games that were previously hosted by the National Kidney Foundation from 1990 to 2010. Events will include basketball, swimming, track & field and others.

Spectrum Health, the Games' presenting sponsor, has more than 330 employees volunteering during the Games. They also are partnering with the Michigan Secretary of State's office and Gift of Life Michigan to promote organ donor awareness and sign up 20,000 new West Michigan residents to Michigan's organ donor registry.

"There are more than 114,000 individuals nationwide waiting for an organ transplant," said Richard Pietroski, CEO of Gift of Life Michigan. "Their best hope for a second chance at life is for people to join the donor registry through Gift of Life Michigan or the Secretary of State. The athletes at the Transplant Games of America compete not just for themselves but in honor of their donor and the precious gift they have received. We encourage everyone to be a hero by registering to be an organ, eye and tissue donor."

About the Transplant Games of America:The Transplant Games of America is a multi-sport festival event for athletes who have undergone life-saving transplant surgeries, as well as for living donors. Competition is open to anyone who has received a solid organ transplant or bone marrow donation. More than just an athletic event, the Transplant Games of America highlights the critical importance of organ and tissue donation, while celebrating the lives of organ donors and recipients. The Games will be held July 28-31 in the Greater Grand Rapids area.

SOURCE Transplant Games of America

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/more-than-3000-organ-recipients-donor-family-members-and-supporters-to-converge-for-2012-transplant-games-of-americas-opening-ceremony-2012-07-23
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
     Hi all. By good luck I have access to a computer at the moment, and saw this posting. I'm here at the Transplant Games in GRand Rapids, as part of "Team LIberty" of the Metro NY-NJ-Conn area. It is going well despite the organizational problems. Today I joined a mob of others for the 5k run through the streets of Grand Rapids, and at the moment I'm at the campus of Grand Valley University watching the swimmong competitions. It is great to see so many heart, kidney, liver and lung recipients enjoying life and sports. I find the lung recipients especially inspiring. After years of literally fighting for every breath they are now, thanks to their donated lungs, swimming, running, playing tennis, etc. and relishing every breath. I have met a number of other living donors here, but don't have an accurate count of the total number. The grand opening ceremony is tonight (and you can watch it live at the link posted above) and will include the lighting of our own Olympic-style "Transplant Games Torch". Best wishes to all.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
     Just to add an update: the Transplant games were a great success for all involved. Apart from the athletic events, I was able to bring up at one of the workshops organized by Spectrum Health the problem of those living donors who suffer from depression after donation and don't find support from the transplant team. The medical professionals present certainly took the observation very seriously, and it seemed like this was "news" to some of them. Although I myself did not suffer that problem I was glad to serve as a voice for those who have.
     Some of you may remember from 2 years ago that "Hawkeye", a non-directed kidney donor from Washington, had bought a nice rolling back-pack to use to get his computer and books to and from work during the "no lifting" stage of recovery. Later he wanted to pass it along to some other living donor, so I picked it up from him while visiting Washington for a course. Well, it took 2 years, but during the Games in Grand Rapids I was finally able to pass it along to a nice lady who works in organ donation. She promised to pass it along to someone preparing for donation surgery. (She herself is a "donor spouse" for having donated her deceased husband's organs and also a kidney recipient  of a living donation from her son, so she knows what it is all about.)
     The Games were generous in giving medals, to encourage everybody, and I did not have that much competition in the "living donors, 60 t0 70" category, so a got a silver medal in the 5k run, and then a gold medal in the 1,500 meter race (in which I was the ONLY one in my category, so got a Gold Medal for reaching the finish line with a pulse, but I'm proud of it anyway. It was really great to see the younbger living donors racing, swimming, high-jumping, etc. and having a great time.
     20 different cities have put in a bid to host the 2014 Transplant Games of America, so it looks pretty hopeful that they will take place.
      Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
That's a wonderful report Fr. Pat - gave me a good laugh at your "got a Gold Medal for reaching the finish line with a pulse" comment! I am glad the organizer's did such a good job. Congrats on your medals!  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
     A number of people and Teams have posted short or long videos of parts of the 2012 Transplant Games at www.youtube.com . Just put "2012 Transplant Games" in the "search" box and take your pick. Those from team Texas are especially good.
     There is also a video of highlights of the Games at www.transplantgamesofamerica.org/special-events
        Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional