| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Covina resident to receive fourth kidney from family  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Covina resident to receive fourth kidney from family
« on: September 01, 2012, 03:59:26 AM »
Covina resident to receive fourth kidney from family

Posted:   08/29/2012 09:00:00 PM PDT

David Trujillo, 29, of Covina is receiving his fourth kidney transplant on Sept. 4. David, right, with, from left, mother Maria, aunt Yolanda and brother Dustin at their Edna Place home in Covina, Aug. 24. (Leo Jarzomb / SGVN)
Few have had it as difficult as David Trujillo of West Covina.

The 29-year-old will be having his fourth and hopefully final kidney transplant in September.

And fewer can say they have a family like David's. His first kidney was donated by his own father when David was only 3.

"It's been pretty rough, but I wouldn't have it any other way," said his father, Danny Trujillo, 57. "It's drawn us closer as a family and to God our Lord. We have a lot of faith, I know that's what's been keeping us going. I also want to thank Dr. Martin of the Magan Medical Clinic for telling me about UCLA (where David had the surgeries)."

David's mother also believes faith has played a big part in their ability to cope.

"David's a little trooper," said Maria Trujillo, 51. "Over the years I've seen him blossom and be such a fighter through all this. But nothing ever bothered him until this past year. It's been hard. He had to go on dialysis. That was really rough on him, just wore him out. We put all our faith in God. He's the one that leads us through everything."

David's second kidney was donated by his uncle and his third by his aunt and godmother, Yolanda Trujillo, 57, a resident of La Puente.

"I told my husband I wanted to go get tested (as a match for David), I felt it was going to be me," she said. "Just something in my heart said it was me. Giving up my kidney for him is the most wonderful feeling you can have."

His

Advertisement

aunt believes more people should try and get tested to see if they can donate.
"Why not try to help another life? The feeling you have inside is wonderful. You're a part of that person now, that person is part of you," she adds.

Although he's taken care of in the way of kidney donations, David is an advocate for other people in his place who aren't as lucky.

"I just want to get the awareness out there that there's a big demand for kidney, liver and pancreas donations," said David. "Some people are waiting eight to 10 years because no one wants to donate. They either have no family or friends."

He has learned to have faith in a way he might not otherwise have had.

"It's made me trust God more, the fact that I know he's going to get me through this," he said. "I put more trust in God. It's brought me closer to my family. Basically, I learned to appreciate life more - appreciate health and what you do have."

David enjoys a lot of different activities like hiking, bike riding and swimming. His latest transplant procedure will take place on Sept. 4, thanks to his younger brother, Dustin, 25.

"When I heard he needed another one, I wanted to see if I was able to give him my kidney," said Dustin. "They were about to not let me donate, they thought I would be too young. But it was an exception for me. They barely let me donate to him. There was no question about it. It's not something I had to second guess or anything."

Families like the Trujillos are in short supply. Many people in David's situation don't have the resources he has had.

If you are interested in becoming an organ donor, visit www.organdonor.gov, www.organdonation.nhs.uk or add it to your state-issued identification card or driver's license at the DMV.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_21426784/covina-resident-receive-fourth-kidney-from-family
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional