| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: going to donate need answers  (Read 3327 times)

Offline brandy

• My first post!
going to donate need answers
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
I am giving a very special friend part of my liver. I have read all the info. Im pretty calm about the whole thing. I do however have 5 kids myself and i would like living liver donor advise. Please help

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: going to donate need answers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
So you have any kind of disability insurance so you have some funds or extra funds coming in while recovering.  I have had some for years and it came in handy twice last year.  Kidney donation in March of "11" and another surgery in Sept of "11".  I was off work for 6 weeks each time.  Some employers have it already, but I am self employed.  If you do get some don't mention the surgery you are thinking of having.  Mine will cover any thing that I will be off of work after the first week.  Not like a regular paycheck but it helped.

Not to be morbid but have a will in place, burial expenses covered at least with life insurance, if so, where you want to be buried.  And the caregiver of your children if no spouse and how will they be provided for.  These are real concerns with any surgery when single, you now have your childerns welfare to think about and you may have covered everything.  At least talk to a financial planner or estate attorney. Again, sorry if a bit morbid but, life, or death, happens.  Rare in these cases, but, it does happen.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional