| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Recipient - Plasmapheresis  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Recipient - Plasmapheresis
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
Hello -
We are about 15 months post-transplant and my sister's creatinine has been rising consistently (now at 5, had been stable around 2 after surgery.)  She has FSGS which does have a risk of attacking the new kidney, which is what seems to be happening.  They did a biopsy and said there is no rejection.  We were hoping that the disease would be slow to do damage as it did the first time around, but it seems to be moving quickly.

She is going in for Plasmapheresis this Thursday and they told her she would be off 10 days-2 weeks.  From what I read I was surprised she would need that much time off.  Is anyone familiar with this procedure, and its success?

This is actually a glimmer of hope as they had told her they wanted to get her back on the list sooner than later.

Thanks all-
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Recipient - Plasmapheresis
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
Procedure is very easy and typically followed with iv immunosuppression.  Essentially, her antibodies will be removed and replaced w plasma. Her immune system may be weakened and that could be why the time is estimated to recover.   My husband's antibodies are stable, but he had a cystic disorder.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
If there is no sign of rejection, what do they hope to achieve with the treatment?
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
Hi Karol - From what I understand, which may not be all that well, she is not in rejection, but the FSGS antibodies are attacking the new kidney.  Maybe that is a form of rejection, but they didn't call it that as to not cause as much alarm?  I am across the country so am only hearing it from her.  I know with this disease there is a chance (50/50?) that it will attack the new kidney and that is what is happening.  The plasmapheresis is going to hopefully remove the bad antibodies with good.  The hope is it put her in remission.  From what I read this is often done before transplant as a preventative measure which is not the case with her.  The length of time they told her she needs to be off is because she has to go in every other day for up to 2 weeks for treatments.

Hoping this will help her stabilize!

Thanks!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional