| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery in am  (Read 7518 times)

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
Surgery in am
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »
Well, finally back at UAB and it looks like surgery is on for tomorrow am.  Much thanks to everyone here for all of the great info.  Will post update post surgery.  Been a long journey but if all goes well I will be a donor tomorrow and my uncle will have many more years with a new kidney.  So blessed and life us good  ;D
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Surgery in am
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
Wishing you and your recipient the best possible experience! Let us know how things go.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
Many years to you too, SWB!

Love, elephant

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
Hope all goes well for you both! Let us know how you're doing or if you have any questions.

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
YAY!  Good Luck, I just said a prayer for you.  Hope it goes smoothly for you and your recipient.

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both of you!!

Offline Dora76

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »
GOOD LUCK!  Best wishes to both of you.
~Living kidney donor to my mother, November 2010~

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 03:22:48 AM »
Best wishes and prayers for the surgeries.
    Fr. Pat

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »
Well, surgery over with and everything has gone better than ever expected.  Made the 4 1/2 hour car trip home on Saturday afternoon and though the ride was bumpy - I AM HOME!!!

More importantly my uncle is doing unbelievable and his new kidney kicked in immediately.  He is doing so well that they expect to send him home at least a week earlier than originally anticipated.  We are both truely blessed.

Much thanks to everyone on this forum.  The amount of information I picked up was amazing and made everything go so much more smoothly than I ever thought possible.  Will definitely be returning the favor to others.

My own healing process is also going smoothly and all of my bodily functions are back to normal already.  No more prunes for me anytime soon if I can help it LOL.

Living in peace - Scott
Scott

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
Congratulations Scott! And welcome to the 'club'

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
Glory be to God, that is wonderful news.
You are now a one-kidney wonder : - )

Love, elephant

melynda74

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:12:23 PM »
Scott,

Congratulations and many more years to you and your uncle both. I cant believe as I went down your page seeing all the best wishes and prayers.. thinking why hasnt he said he is out of surgery? I must be a baby cuz once I seen your post it brough a tear to my eye and a smile to my face. Such a blessing

much love and respect- mel

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
Thanks Mel.

I go in for my post-op check up on Nov. 8th and they are going to release my uncle on the 9th.  So, my uncle and aunt are going to ride back to their house with me on the way home.  We live about an hour apart so it has worked out for everyone.

Every time I look at him I start to tear up a bit.  I know I kind of shocked the nursing staff because about 4 hours after I woke up in my room on the day of surgery I forced myself to get out of bed and slowly make it down the hallway to his room to see how he was doing.  I wouldn't trust anyone else's commentary about it because I am pig-headed LOL.

When I walked in his room he was propped up in bed and told me he was "exercising his new kidney like crazy".  I just laid my head down on his leg for a second, kissed my palm and laid it on his head, and told him I was happy for him and loved him.  Then, I looked over to see that the nurse staying in the room with him was my favorite nurse who I met when we attempted the transplant the first time.  I knew her by name and remember saying that I see he was in good hands so I had no more worries for the night and would check in with him later.

Who would have ever thought that such a simple act of donating could be so rewarding.  Makes me really become an advocate for organ donation, especially for having folks sign donor cards.

Blessed beyond measure,

Scott
Scott

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
Hi Scott,

I just wanted to say congratulations on your donation, and welcome to the club! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved