| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Taking herbal supplements with one kidney  (Read 9301 times)

Offline 1kidneylady

• Conversationalist
Taking herbal supplements with one kidney
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »
I have been trying to find information on line regarding the use of herbal supplements.  When I donated my kidney, the doctors said I would have to always ask before taking any.  That doctor is in Georgia and I live in Texas. I don't know how to find a herbalist who would know how herbs affect someone with one kidney or a medical doctor who accepts the use of herbs. The NKF website does mention herbs which people with kidney disease should not use but that doesn't really apply.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Taking herbal supplements with one kidney
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
Dear 1kidneylady,

I do not use much in the way of herbal supplements, but I take some medications that have the potential to impact the kidney.  What I do is go for frequent blood work to monitor the creatinine level.  We only have one kidney, but it is one healthy kidney, which is not the same thing as having kidney disease.  Love, elephant.

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Taking herbal supplements with one kidney
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I would call the doc or the coordinator that you worked with and ask.  I asked about a few herbals during my meetings and was assured that St. John's Wort and Fish Oil are fine to take.  If I wonder about the others I am planning to call my coordinator, she is very helpful.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved