| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Question as I'm considering kidney donation  (Read 3920 times)

Offline jsprague

• Conversationalist
Question as I'm considering kidney donation
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
Does anyone know the chance of donating if I have had one bout with kidney stones 11 years ago??

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Question as I'm considering kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »
Every transplant center has its own policies. Generally, kidney stones are listed as a "relative exclusion" criterion, meaning it's something that could exclude you, but it will be considered along with other health factors. There's more info on this LDO web page: https://livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidneycontraindications.htm
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »
     If I understand it right (I'm not a medical professional) kidney stones can be caused by different things. So if you want to donate a kidney the doctors will want to see waht the cause of YOUR bout was, in order to get a good idea about whether you would be prone to them in the future. If you just have one kidney left, a stone would be a big problem. Likewise, they have to be sure that the kidney you are donating is in good condition. So it is, I think, worth looking into. Your previous bout with kidney stones MIGHT exclude you, but perhaps might not, depending on the causes. It would be worth making the offer and then letting the doctors decide.
       best wishes,
           Fr. Pat

Offline jsprague

• Conversationalist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »
Thank you both. I found out the hospital I work at has a kidney Living Donor program. I plan on calling then this week and look into it more and hopefully start the process.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional