| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Financing Living Donation / Legislation  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Financing Living Donation / Legislation
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »
I think I posted this awhile ago, but here it is again if you haven't seen it:

Financing Living Donation /  Legislation

Federal Legislation

Federal employees receive 30 days paid leave for organ donation, in addition to their sick and annual leave (HR 457).

State Legislation

Many states have passed laws that makes it easier to become a living donor by providing time off for state and/or private sector employees. Some states also offer tax deductions or credits for travel expenses and time away from work. And in other states, legislation has only been introduced, but not signed into law.

For more info go to http://www.transplantliving.org/living-donation/financing-living-donation/legislation/
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Financing Living Donation / Legislation
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:33:11 PM »
Hi Karol, yes my state, Wi,has a tax deduction, but not if you are self employed, really?  So I not only basicly closed my business for 6 weeks while I recovered, but didn't get a thank you from the state either.  I didn't know about the tax deduction when I donated, it wouldn't have mattered anyway, but when I did find out they had one I thought great, until it didn't apply to me, oh well, ( sigh).  I think some of this would be nice to be informed of BEFORE donation, in case someone can qualify for it.  If potential donors don't use this site, who should tell them?  I didn't get any of this information from my transplant hospital.  It should be part of the information packet at least. 

And that there is some possible funding for those that would donate but can't afford time off work, travel expenses.  This is not advertised at all to posable donors that I have seen.  Should potential donors be handing out brochures from their state kidney foundation informing people of all this, how else are potential donors to know all this?  I don't think the general public has a clue about any of this, so when asked to be a donor, they give the deer in the headlights look.  Education of the general public is key if we are to get more living donors to step up. 
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline flacapt

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Financing Living Donation / Legislation
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
I heard Wal Mart insurance will pay a donor. Not sure if its wages or what. But its worth looking into.
M
Donor 10/12 B-N-Law Mayo Clininc, Jax, Fl.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved