| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: A powerful reminder of my first conversation with my surgeon. Arrrgh!  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/11/disease-checklist.html

I am not a disease, I am not a checklist
JORDAN GRUMET, MD | PATIENT | NOVEMBER 26, 2013

I am not a disease.

Although when I enter your hospital, or office, or outpatient center, you may refer to me as one. You may lump me together with an odd set of symptoms, or signs. You will define me with those antiquated terms. You will pretend that you will know how I, my body, will react when placed under certain stressors. You will prescribe treatments for my disease, and yet leave me out of the equation.

You know, the me that the rest of the world sees when I am outside the obtuse boarders you have created. Only a fraction of my life occurs in your realm. The labels you give, the actions you take, have consequences. They may determine my physiologic or economic well being.

Are you listening?

I am not a checklist.

You may use one when deciding whether my treatments are covered. You may question my doctor, read him the riot act. You will say that I don’t fit your algorithms. I do not adhere to your guidelines.

Diseases follow a pattern, unlike every other aspect of human behavior, they are quite predictable. Why should I be different from any other? Why should my pain and suffering be unique? Require unique solutions?

I am not a mark.

My suffering was not meant for your exploitation. I see your commercials on television. People with my disease run through angelic fields with smiles on their faces. I do not live here. I do not run when my body aches and my mind is numb.

You ride in like a savior and ride out with my wallet strapped on your back. You offer false prophesies. Some of your drugs, injections, and sprays truly save lives. Others are crap.

Must you treat them as one and the same? Just to make money?

I am a human being.

My disease is part, not the whole, of me.

Lift your eyes from your tired misconceptions, your white-washed guidelines, and your market-driven economies.

And look at me.

Jordan Grumet is an internal medicine physician and founder, CrisisMD.  He blogs at In My Humble Opinion.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
Re: A powerful reminder of my first conversation with my surgeon. Arrrgh!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:08:06 AM »
Thank you Clark! Great blog with lots of insight into the medical process as well as current specific info on lots of topics. Spent hours there last night.

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:37:37 AM »
What is this a poem? Whatevr it is I like it
\44/
/44\

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »
     Given the thread title, I can't help remarking that my first "conversation" with my surgeon was as they were moving me from the gurney to the operating table.  I can't say all my questions and concerns were fully addressed at that "meeting".  :)  I think he may have said, "Lay here". 
    True, I had spoken once or twice to the surgical director of the transplant program, but I never had the chance to meet the actual surgeon till the surgery.
        Snoopy

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:34 AM »
I'm sure the post represents a collection of experiences.  But as to mine, my wife and I met with the surgeon early on who I later was able to request.  We thought that much of him.  He has done hundreds of procedures and I'm sure is a leader in the field.  He answered all the 'hard' questions we had and my wife was impressed and she an RN.  We met with him again before the surgery and of course after.  If you are a donor don't be afraid to ask for a particular surgeon.  :)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved