| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Naming my kidney :)  (Read 14808 times)

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
Naming my kidney :)
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
My recipient named his new kidney I get to give him April11th. He named named her "Faith",because by faith we are believing this is teh lady kidney he will ever need :) any of you or your love ones name your kidney ?

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
Re: Naming my kidney :)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
blah I wish people had responded.  It might sound weird but I am donating my kidney on Thursday and I think it would be fun to name the kidney and I was looking for ideas of what others may have named theirs.  I'm thinking something gender neutral because its going from a female to a male (not that that matters at all but in naming it may) haha.
Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
Never though of naming mine but it's a great idea!

I did arrange for one of the operating room crew, a student who would not be actively participating, to take a photo of my kidney after it had been removed. You will have to supply your own camera. As I write this wondering how/if it was sterilized.

Faith is a lovely name. A flower would be a good name too.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »
My recipient is female but calls her gift from me "Little Johnny", or, last week on our 11th kidneyversary, "your little boy." (My first name is John, not Clark.) I wouldn't have chosen either, or to name it at all, but to each their own. Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »
Dear GG4G,

Never crossed my mind.  But I have taken to calling my Dad "Kidney" sometimes instead of "Daddy". 
I hope your recipient has many happy years with Faith.

Love, elephant

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
We accidentally named the one I donated.

I was texting my sister after the surgery and was a bit loopy from anesthesia.  I texted that the doctor said I gave my recipient (my husband now, then my boyfriend) a petite kidney but "kidney" autocorrected to "Janet" (must have hit the J!) so Janet is now her name.

My father will call and ask how Janet is doing. lol.

The one remaining in me is now "Brad" ala The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  :)

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
CK, I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show refrence :)
Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline sgrant1158

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »
you won't believe this but I donated to my brother and named the Kidney "Richard". Family had a great laugh over this. My brother wasn't amused but does laugh at it now and then. Think of the fun I am having with this.......

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »
At first I thought naming the kidney was silly but then I realized it was too much to say how's your new, third kidney doing? :) So my non-creative self starting calling the kidney Lefty. That's still her name, a vote was taken & a majority voted it should stay Lefty. My recipient, a male, said she has to keep her feminine origins too. I guess he's secure with that :) and makes jokes about being in touch with his feminine side. It works for us and now I'm all for naming the kidneys!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Ckb66

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 03:33:53 AM »
I donated my left kidney to my sister on 14th May this year.  As soon as we saw the images of them pre-op sitting snuggly together in my body it felt as if I had to name her.  I choose to call her Cissie because that was my grandmother's pet name in the family and I was named after my grandmother, though I never adopted the pet name.  We now chat away post-op and my sister always refers to her as Cissie.  It makes it much easier to avoid possessive pronouns.  The kidney isn't mine any more and she has 3 so it lets her differentiate between it and her 'bad boys', her polycystic kidneys.  The irony of Cissie being the good one wasn't lost on either of us.  3 weeks post operative, she has gone from 380 creatine level to 73!  Within 36 hours it shot down to 190 and now she needs to seriously increase her potassium intake, she just got so used to a thimble of cheese, no bananas etc, so she finds it a bit odd being told to get that potassium in her.  Naming the kidney just felt right.  No one else calls it anything, so it is something special to us two.  Last step will be to have those bad boys removed in a few months time.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
That's interesting that they will go back in and remove the cystic kidneys. I have a friend with pkd, and although it isn't common, she wanted her cystic kidneys removed when the new kidney was put in....very long surgery and I imagine it was a hard recovery. She went to UMMC in Baltimore for it and was in Baltimore for quite some time. Is that why your sister is having hers removed later?

Btw, my friend used to call her cystic kidneys those bad boys too! :)

Congratulations on your donation. What a wonderful thing to do for your sister. My friend with PKD is the reason I ended up donating. Wanted to donate to her but we didn't have compatible blood types so I found someone else that did! The rest is history, as they say.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Desjohnston

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »
I gave my brother my left kidney on 27th November last year. We called the kidney Arthur, and I have absolutely no idea why :-)

Offline flacapt

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
B-N-Law has my kidney 2 years coming Oct. We named it"Super". The surgeon said it was so "Super" It almost jumped into my bnlaw and attached itself!!..
Donor 10/12 B-N-Law Mayo Clininc, Jax, Fl.

Offline CorynCarp

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »
My left kidney is bigger and functions a bit better than the right, so I'll be donating my right. As such, I decided to name them Ginger and Al. Big ole' Al is lefty and will be staying with me while I pass on sweet little Ginger. ;)

Offline hawkeye

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:49 AM »
My recipient named it "lil' kidney"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional