| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney donor.. Healthy foods and lifestyle to maintain  (Read 7291 times)

Offline willis_chavonn

• Top 100 Poster!
Kidney donor.. Healthy foods and lifestyle to maintain
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
I'm a kidney donor and already eat healthy but want to do a little better now that I've given A kidney. I do not drink any sodas, was a social drinker, and eat alot of fruit . I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle and eating habit for health purposes. Any suggestions?

Offline Dirty Rocker

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Kidney donor.. Healthy foods and lifestyle to maintain
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »
I, too, would appreciate any info on this subject. I haven't really found anything for donors as far as nutrition goes.
Donated Left Kidney to a close friend on 4/23/2013
Baylor All Saints Medical Center in Fort Worth, TX

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
     If you go to the National Kidney Foundation site www.kidney.org you can hunt around and find "kidney-friendly" recipies and nutritional tips. Some are designed for persons who are suffering from kidney disease, while most serve to help maintain the health of good kidneys. All part of their "Love Your Kidneys" campaign (although for us is should say "Love Your Kidney"). They even sell bags, umbrellas, etc. with that slogan. I believe they also offer a free "healthy kidney" newslwtter to those who sign up.
      best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »
Here is blog written by a Renal Dietician

http://204.92.98.237/page.aspx?pid=859

If this link doesn't work go to

http://kidney.ca/

and click on the link under Eat Renal-Friendly, with June Martin

There is a lot of useful information about kidney & diet. Wish I'd had this when my husband was on dialysis.

Particulary like the Staying Safe 10/06/2011, post about avoiding food poisoning. A lot of good general background info about how food can affect your kidney and health.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »
I would caution people to be extermely careful about following a designated renal diet on their own without the advice of a physician. A renal diet restricts a lot of foods due to the necessity of restriciting potassium and phosphorus so they do not build up in the kidney-compromised system and cause problems.  There are a lot of healthy, nutritious foods that are off limits due to the excess amount of potassium and phosphorus they contain for renal patients- think various fruits, vegetables, dairy, whole grains, nuts. You could be harming yourself and missing out on key nutrients if you follow a renal diet and really do not have the actual need to do so.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
Absolutely agree with you on that Orchidlady!

We are heavily into health & nutrition but find most people I've consulted have little idea about what we should eat to stay as healthy as possible for the long term. As a person with one kidney and a husband with three we are always looking for more & better information.

We basically eat a Mediterranean diet. It's low fat, lots of veggies, easy to follow & no real restrictions.

Four years later we still use my husbands TX clinic for advice. Right now we have ongoing major well trouble. Being concerned about bacteria got a camping/wilderness purifier, Colloidal Silver in a health food store. Though it would have less harmful chemicals. Luckily there was a medical warning on the bottle which said consult your doctor if you are on prescribed medication. I'm not on any drugs & would never have thought to contact my doctor who from previous experience has little specialized kidney knowledge. A quick online search didn't show any problems either.The TX clinic said under no circumstances to use Colloidal Silver as it is toxic and will build up over time in your kidneys. Not good for us people with only one!

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »
Second Orchid on renal diets. 

I would recommend low sodium, healthy fats, and exercise.  I rinse anything that comes out of a can and check sodium on every item I purchase. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
Healthy Foods and lifestyle are huge in a person with one kidney. A way to keep track of foods is to use "Myfitnesspal.com". It is a useful tool to tack foods,snacks,vitamins,drinks you consume. It can tell you as you list the amount of salt,sugar,fat[types of fat], fiber, cholestroal and more. You can add items to the data base.There is a app,you can get.this tool can help your doctors,loved ones and others you want ,to know about your diet. You can add exercise and notes. It is free! this could be a useful tool.  Steve

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 07:36:42 AM »
There are a few suggestions we compiled over the years on this LDO web page: https://livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidney6.htm
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline ashlee1313

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »
I've been paleo (veggies, fruits, meats) since October, before all the testing had even begun.  When they finally approved me to begin jumping through many hoops to become a donor, all the people I spoke to told me I was healthy as a horse.  Upon being discharged, a dietitian spoke to me and when I told her about my diet she laughed and said, "you have no dietary restrictions then."  The other dietitian I spoke to prior to the surgery seemed to be jealous I could stick to it.  So, I'm guessing paleo is a pretty good diet to be on if you've donated.  However, I try not to eat too much protein.  I've read and heard conflicting things on how too much protein may or may not hurt you if you've only got one kidney.

Also, I too recommend using My Fitness Pal!  Been using it for over a year.  :)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional