| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Increased Creatine Level Post Kidney Donation  (Read 25618 times)

Offline mike0525

• Conversationalist
Increased Creatine Level Post Kidney Donation
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
41 yo male, donated a kidney to my mom almost coming up on one year now. Feeling fine, no problems, so is Mom.  However.....my Creatinine Level (CL) prior to donation was 1.0. Two months post donation: 1.8, Six months: 1.4, Seven months (due to hospitalization for chest/back pain): 1.6.  The surgeon team out West told me going forward and pretty much for the remainder of my life, my new baseline CL would be around the 1.8 range.  I'm okay with that if that is par with the course but my nephrologist (I live on the East Coast and decided to start seeing one) says in his experience, he has never seen or heard of someone expecting to have a new CL baseline so high post donation. Yes high right after surgery of course but it should come back down to within normal levels he says.  Any thoughts? Seondly, and I guess its for my piece of mind more than anything but I like to get my blood drawn on a more frequent basis now just to see what the level is. What is the normal draw, every 6 months? 1x a year?  Lastly, are there any warning signs to look out for which might indicate the lone remaining kidney is starting to fail (my lifestyle: not overweight, non-smoker, social alcohol drinker (wine), drink plenty of water and exercise quite a bit)?
Thanks.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Increased Creatine Level Post Kidney Donation
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
Dear Mike,
      I donated a kidney 11 years ago, and it took several years before my creatinine got down to 1.3 or 1.2, where it stays now. Doctors have said that this is O.K. for me. I would suggest that if it is worrying you you might go ahead and have it checked 3 or 4 times a year (and carefully chart all the results.)
     If you go to the National Kidney Foundation site at www.kidney.org and hunt around you will find a section that gives the warning signs of possible kidney disease. The site also offer "kidney-friendly" recipies, tips, etc. both to maintain good kidney health and for patients dealing with kidney disease, all part of their "Love Your Kidneys!" campaign.
     best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline mike0525

• Conversationalist
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:45:24 AM »
Thanks Fr. Pat.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »
Dear Mike,

Mine has varied from 1.3 - 1.6 for the last two years.  And I'm a woman, so expect it to be lower than a man's.  Trying not to obsess over it.  I lift weights and run and suspect that is a factor. 

Love, elephant

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
Any illness or injury can cause your creatinine to increase on a temporary basis. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 12:12:35 AM »
Mine stayed about 1.5 for the first two years after surgery.  I have not had it checked now for almost two years.    Maybe I should.
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
Oldnslow,

I find it interesting (and a bit concerning) that donors do not get their creatinine levels checked yearly. Is there a reason why you don't have a yearly physical with your physician? if the transplant center sent you a reminder would that influence your decision to have it checked or if they provided you with a yearly blood check would that help?

As a sibling donor, I am very careful about having my creatinine (among other blood levels and BP) checked because I have kidney disease in my family. I wonder if the transplant follow up coordinators are doing enough to educate donors about the importance of follow up care.

Would love to hear how your creatinine is since donating to your brother. Always love to hear your updates.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
I go for my yearly physical and my PCP checks my creatinine clearance.  It went from 1.02 to 1.08 and he is having me get it re-checked in 3 months.  I think your level of hyrdation can also have a huge impact.
I agree with Sherri - we should all have our creatinine monitored, it is interesting that they do not insist on having that done at the transplant centers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:45:27 PM by Barbara S »
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 08:39:46 AM »
Just had my annual results. The first year it was 1.4. It dropped to 1.2 the second year and has continued to be 1.2. This year's was also 1.2.
Also pleased that cholesterol was below 200 - just barely at 197. I know some donors had commented about elevated cholesterol post donation. Since I hadn't had mine checked since prior to the donation, I was a little nervous about the outcome of that number.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:43:36 AM by Orchidlady »
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional