| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Paired Match - Just got the call! - A couple questions....  (Read 3555 times)

Offline TurtleSB

• Conversationalist
Paired Match - Just got the call! - A couple questions....
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
Good Morning to you all!  I have been on the NKR paired match list for my sister who needs a kidney since July 2012, and last night I got a call that they found a match for me, and for my sister!  They are sending me the blood tubes to do the crossmatch, and I have a couple questions about that.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results from the crossmatch test?  I don't know if it's an instant result, or if they have to wait days or weeks....  Also, what are the chances at this point of the crossmatch tests giving positive (bad) results?  Is it a double-check at this point?  Or is there a big chance this won't work out? 
I am so excited, but I don't want to let myself get too hopeful until I really know that both of our crossmatches come back good.
Thank you all in advance!  :)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Re: Paired Match - Just got the call! - A couple questions....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »
That's great news.  You are on your way.  I donated this last September through NKR. The cross matching just takes days and then they review.But be prepared.   The more in the chain, the more circumstances that can cause delays.  I think they had me with four different chains before we finally had one that went forward.  My situation may not be typical though since they were trying to get some people who were highly sensitized transplanted.  It's hard not to be excited but temper it with the potential of delays. 

Offline Turnerjam

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Paired Match - Just got the call! - A couple questions....
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
So I got the call last night too, and did the blood work today.  When will I know if I am a certain match?  Do they put the entire chain together first, then tell you thought the NKR?

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional