| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Prediabetics in LKD early sign  (Read 3302 times)

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
Prediabetics in LKD early sign
« on: April 27, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »
I completed a health screening with my company and a message was sent to me. It said I had a Glucose [non-fasting] of 152 mg/dl. Also said I need to complete a "fasting/glucose level" test. I immediately stopped my sugar coffee drinks,started eating more vegges/fruit, reading labels on food packages and began researching ways to reduce and prevent this from becoming prediabetes. Is it safe to take "Alpha Lipoic Acid, 600 mg". I am reading  a book 'Stop Prediabetes Now" by jack Challum. Any other info I can get . also comments on the supplement.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Thank you steve

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Prediabetics in LKD early sign
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
Steve,

wait to see what your fasting glucose is. Cutting down on sugar and eating more fruits and veggies and exercise is a good way to eat/lifestyle whether you have pre diabetes or not. If your fasting glucose is still high then I would make an appointment with your PCP and a dietitian who can help you formulate a healthy food plan. This may include monitoring carbohydrates as well. I would discuss any supplements with your PCP or nephrologist before taking them.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Prediabetics in LKD early sign
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:19 AM »
Thanks,  Steve

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved