| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just confirmed surgery on June 9th at Piedmont Hospital...  (Read 14127 times)

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
Hello, I am new to this site but extremely grateful to find so much valuable information and encouraging stories from other donors.  I found out back in February that my best friend's father needed a kidney.  I knew instantly that I wanted to be the one to donate my kidney when I found out noone in his family was a match. There was not an ounce of hesitation on my part, if anything, I knew this had to be from the Lord.  I had such peace about this and I couldn't wait to let my husband know of my decision.  Of course, I couldn't understand why everyone in my family didn't have the same response as me.  I realized that not all people have a desire to do this but I knew that I did.  My husband knew by my face and the way I was beaming telling him about how I wanted to be able to give the Gift of life back to Chuck.  Ironically, my best friend introduced me to my husband 32 years ago and we only dated 10 days.  My husband new if it wasn't for my best friend, we would never had met, so now it is time to pay it forward.  With this being said, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful group of individuals as a donor and of course to our wonderful famiies and friends standing behind us.  More important I want to thank the Lord for being my Rock in this decision....  If any of you have any advice to give me before the surgery on June 9th, I would highly appreciate it.  I am 49, 5'1, 108lb, love to run and eat really healthy.  So I know that is a plus but if you have anything to add to help me, I would appreciate it.. God bless you ALL!

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: Just confirmed surgery on June 9th at Piedmont Hospital...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
Sounds like you're already prepared with the most important things - a sense of higher purpose, a big heart and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE - Good Luck and God bless - we'll be thinking about you.  Let us know how it all goes.

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
Thank you Scott for replying to my post.  I am so excited and praying for a positive outcome.  I have read through most of the post on here and the information but love to read even more if there are other sites you recommend.  Again, thank you, Lisa/Twinkie..

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
Dear Twinkie,
        If you haven't done so already, you might want to look at the National Kidney Foundation website www.kidney.org  . Lots of the stuf there is about kidney disease and its prevention/detection, but it also has a section on living donation. www.transweb.org also has some things on living donation. And if you go to www.youtube.com and put "kidney transplant" into the search box you will find an assortment of videos (of varying quality, of course). At that same site you can find some nice videos of "U.S. Transplant Games".
      If you would like to read something about living donation from a Christian perspective, e-mail me at psofmcap@aol.com and I will send you something.
       best wishes,
           Fr. Pat (donor, '02)

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
Thank you Pat for the information that you have given me.  I can tell you that I will be up late tonight reading and listening to the videos.  I am so excited that this has happen so fast but yet I want to be spiritually and mentally prepared.  I will send you an email so that you can send me some information regarding Christian perspectives.  Again, thank you for your reply.... Sincerely, Lisa :-)

APV

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
Welcome and congratulations on your Surgery date!  I will be donating a kidney to my husband on June 10th.  I hope we can share stories/thoughts as we go through this experience at the same time.  Read as much as you can on this Forum.  People here are very helpful and have lots of practical information which you don't get from the doctors.   Best Wishes

Angelica

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
Hi Lisa and Welcome!

It sounds like you are well prepared for your upcoming surgery. The fact that you are a runner and you eat well will be very helpful with your surgery and recovery. I know exactly what you mean when you say you knew you wanted to donate to your friends Father. I also "knew" I was meant to donate to my husband. I was and still an very at peace with this. If given the choice, I would absolutely, without question do it all again.

I wish you and your recipient well. God Bless you both!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »
Thank you Angelica and Linda for your response.  Congratulation to you too, Angelica.  I will be praying for you and your husband.  This website has really answered alot of my questions, plus it helps me to know that I am not the only one who thinks of donation 24/7....   I pray that more people would become aware of the live donor process.  I for one, had no idea until recently that this was even possible.  Yes, I was so naive but now I am on a mission to help make people aware of becoming a live donor.  I know that I haven't had the operation yet but I can honestly tell you that I wish that it was yesterday.  To know that Daddy Chuck would be able his quality of life back and know that I can be apart of this journey just makes me beam inside and out!  Thank you again for all your responses and I will keep you updated on the journey.  I am so excited that you are on this journey with me too Angelica... only a couple days apart :-)  God Bless you ALL!

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
A few pieces of advice...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 05:02:56 AM »
First of all, you are doing a WONDERFUL THING...and yes, the LORD will help you through it.  I am a living testimony to that!  HE spoke so very clearly to me more than 2 years ago about being a kidney donor to one of my college professors (from more than 20 years ago).

A couple of things I'd like to suggest:

First, make sure you have talked with your own primary care physician, and let them know what you will be doing.  Have the transplant center FAX all of the medical records from your surgery/preoperative and postoperative care to your doctor's office.  Your primary care physician needs as complete a picture of the "details" as possible.

Second, get the support system in place ASAP.  You will have a lifting restriction for about two months...usually nothing heavier than a gallon of milk---if that heavy....your wonderful husband, and your church family will step up to the plate...but make sure they know you will need some "additional" help...

Finally, RELAX--this is the hard part---God will bring you through this glorious event.   Read your Bible the night before the surgery, and let the Holy Spirit speak to you, giving you His promise....He will do it.

God bless you for your unselfish and generous heart.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
Lisa,

Often times I think living donors are the type of people who are always thinking/worrying about others and how they can make life easier for someone else, and they forget or look past what they want or more importantly NEED.  This is a time for others to come to your aide, care & comfort.  Be open to accepting that you've done something really important and you will need some assistance, care and support.  That's why your support system is so vitally important to your recovery process and emotional well-being.  

Be certain to communicate to those around you, exactly what you require to be comfortable and to heal.  Don't be afraid to recognize that you'll never be the same person going in that you are coming out the other side of this life-changing event.  Be open to sharing your emotions and feelings with those you're close to.  Help them understand what you've just been through.  

I look forward to hearing from you soon - take care and we're praying for you.

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 02:07:21 AM »
Good luck and best wishes tomorrow Twinkle!  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 02:43:13 AM »
I've been thinking about you today and pulling for you and your recipient!!  I hope it all went very smoothly and you're both resting comfortably now. 
Much love!!

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Praying for you tonite...
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
Update us when you get a chance to do so...

blessings.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
Lisa....Lisa....LISA....can you feel our thinking about you and well wishes - hope all went well.  We are praying for you and your recipient.

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »
Hello everyone, thank you so much for your prayers and encouraging words.  Chuck and I are doing great, as his creatine (if I am saying this right) have already dropped down to 1.2 as of this morning.  I will post more this evening but wanted to send you a quick email to let you know that I am home.  I will never be the same, what a wonderful gift for Chuck but never knew how wonderful it was going to be for me in the end...   Again, thank you so much and I can't wait to email more.

Hugs and God be the Glory!!!

1 John 3:16 
 16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved