| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just confirmed surgery on June 9th at Piedmont Hospital...  (Read 14128 times)

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Just confirmed surgery on June 9th at Piedmont Hospital...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »
Yes...was thinking about you this morning.  John 15:13 has been my favorite verse from the New Testament for all of my life.

Now, follow ALL the instructions your surgeon/medical team gave you...to the letter.

NO heavy lifting (nothing over 5 lbs) for at least 8 weeks....and make sure you accept any offers of help/assistance that you receive.

Keeping up with you here.

Phil Hoover
Chicago
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
I had my surgery on June 9th and today I finally made some progress in the bowel department... I thought that my insides were going to bust my incisions wide open.  I have to say that was more painful than the incision itself.  So if I can give anyone tips that will be going through this procedure.  Drink lot's of water, take your stool softners and walk as much as your body will let you.  One thing that I have to ask is did anyone have problems with burping all the time?  I feel like everytime that I eat or drink my esophagus expands immediately and I have to keep belching to get any relief.  Not sure if it makes a difference where the surgeon made the incision.  If so, my incision is right above my navel, approx. 4 inches long.  I am hoping that in time the swelling will go down in my stomach and I will not feel as bloated. 
Other than this problem, I am so excited about this experience and to know that my recipient is doing great.  His creatine levels are now 1.2 and he was released from the hospital today..

Look forward to hearing from you.. Lisa :-)

No greater love!!

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
Lisa,

So happy to hear you're doing well and the emotion is extremely powerful isn't it.  Quite spiritual in my estimation.  What an honor to be involved in someone else's life so intimately - it's humbling to say the least. 

My delivery incision is located in the same exact spot.  Then I have to small lap scars on my left side (they took my left kidney).  I have had gas issues ever since the surgery but they are slowly diminishing.  GAS-EX chewables work wonders, work quickly and are safe.  You can take them before you eat or after.  Before you go to bed is a great preemptive strategy if you want to remain married  ;D .   

If gas or bloating gets worse or really becomes uncomfortable/uncontrollable, see your surgeon or GP. 

You're a star - thank you for being so generous and improving someone else's life. 

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »
Thank you Scott for your tips on the gas x.. I am praying that this will get better over time and I realize patience is the key.  I am just so overwhelmed with pure joy that there is nothing that can take away from the moment that I looked into the eyes of my recipient Chuck and realized that God used me to breath life into my kidney so that Chuck could live life again.  It was so surreal and so intimate to me at that very moment as if the Lord gave me a kiss from Heaven...

So again, thank you ALL for your love and support!

Lisa/Twinkie

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
Twinkie,

What a wondeful gift you have gievn. Rest in the fact that God has blessed us to be able to share. Praying that your recovery is swift and sure. Rest as much as you can but also go for short walks. It does get better over time trust me, I am only 2 days ahead of your recovery. You will have good days then a downer but it does get better every day.

Cheers

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 12:52:41 PM »
 :) Best wishes for a fast recovery!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »
Lisa, I just want to add my smile to all the others!  and to suggest that maybe all that "air" in you is God puffing you up, to keep you from being puffed up........you know, it's really hard to be anything but humble when you're making unglamorous noises.  ;D

Well done, and all the joy is the icing on the cake.

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »
This is wonderful news!!!!!  Congratulations!!!! :)  It is an amazing experience, isn't it?  I still can't get over it.  I'm just brimming with gratitude and excitement.  I'm so glad to hear it went well :) 
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 04:10:39 AM »
The stool softeners are your BEST FRIEND...they are not addictive either...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved