| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Victoria woman reflects on kidney transplant from church friend  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/may/09/jo_kidney_transplant_051011_138977/?features&local-news

Victoria woman reflects on kidney transplant from church friend

Unlike most people, Herminia Ochoa has two birthdays - at least that is how she chooses to see it:

Her birthday and the one of her kidney donor.

Ochoa, a 55-year-old Victoria resident, had battled high blood pressure all her life and had five years of dialysis, until a church member intervened and offered a kidney - one that was almost a perfect match.

That was July and almost a year later, Ochoa is healthy and still counting her blessings.

"We're related through the Lord," Ochoa said of her donor.

THE TRANSPLANT
Ochoa has always seen Lindsey Acree as the 5-year-old girl at Family Worship Center.

"I never even thought Lindsey would be the one," Ochoa said. "Not close."

Acree is now 25 years old and said she decided to donate when she heard Ochoa was on a kidney donor list.

Acree has brown hair, bright eyes and a humorous and optimistic outlook on life.

"God has blessed me to give," she said. "I'd give the shirt off my back for people and go without."

But this was more than just a shirt. This was a part of herself.

Ochoa insisted she think more about it when Acree said she wanted to donate.

Acree learned she could donate without any serious health risks.

However, she knows she'll be the one in need if something ever should happen to her remaining kidney.

Ochoa considers herself one of the lucky ones.

Not everyone who has failing kidneys is a candidate for a transplant.

Having a kidney transplant prolongs life at least 17 years, said Dr. Yong Du, a nephrologist at Victoria Kidney and Dialysis in Victoria.

Dialysis patients usually last about six years.

"Everybody is different," Du said about who can have a transplant.

People with other medical conditions such as cancer, infections or HIV would not be able to receive a transplant.

The problem is not whether you can have a transplant or not - it's the low number of living donors, like Acree, he said.

"We don't have enough organ sources," he said.

Ochoa was put on the donor list in 2009 after having dialysis three times a week almost four hours each visit.

The idea of getting off dialysis was exciting, but she held her breath.

"It's not easy," Ochoa said about knowing someone was considering doing that for her.

"I just have such a big peace about it," Acree said.

For Acree, this was another attempt to give.

Years ago, her good friend's mother was in need of a kidney and Acree was a match, but the woman had too many problems and the transplant never happened.

The woman died.

"I had previously worked with the blood bank," Acree said. "I know the importance of trying to save a life."

The day of the surgery, Ochoa was a nervous wreck. But Acree, well, she was just fine.

The two were at a San Antonio hospital for several days. Almost immediately after the transplant, Ochoa's kidney was fully functioning.

"She helped give me my life back," Ochoa said.

LIFE, DIALYSIS FREE
Months after the surgery, Ochoa stopped by her dialysis center to see the people she had spent countless hours with.

Some were there. Others had already lost their battle.

One woman had mentioned something in passing about how lucky Ochoa was.

"I knew these nurses so well," she said. "We were like family."

Before the transplant, Ochoa's health was falling because of her failing kidneys. She was on various medications and, every day, she felt drained from dialysis.

"When on dialysis, your life stops," she said.

But now, she is only on a couple of medications, two of which are anti-rejection drugs.

The support of her donor, her family and her church have helped her pull through.

Truth is, having a kidney transplant is not a cure, Du said.

People who have had a transplant still must take medications and ensure that they keep that kidney functioning healthy.

"It's a treatment," Du said. "But it's the most matured organ transplant. It's very successful."

Ochoa is just grateful for the extra time she has now to do the things she loves. She no longer has to go to dialysis and she can plan for a future.

"I feel I will always owe her," Ochoa said. "I know the Lord will bless her."
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved