| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 3 days countdown  (Read 12861 times)

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
3 days countdown
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »
Well, today was my last day at work, It felt like I was retiring. Packed up my desk, took some work home and did the voice mail, out of office assistant thing. I have 3 days to go till Tuesday morning when the surgery takes place. Now they want me to do a last minute west nile virus test. Oh well whatever it takes. It still hasnt really set in yet. I'll go in healthy and come out 1/2 a pound lighter:). People ask me what to expect. I cant answer, I havent done this before.

I'll try and get back on here when I get out of the hospital and let you all know how it went.

APV

Re: 3 days countdown
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
Best wishes to you!
 I will be donating a kidney to my husband a week from today and I can no longer sleep with excitement, anxiety, anticipation, nervousness, joy.... every emotion one can experience.  All emotions except doubt!   We had our pre-op appointment today too.   Let us know how you keep yourself occupied and relaxed in the next couple of days before your surgery.   

Angelica

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »
Just know we will all be thinking about you while you're going through the process.  Thanks for being so courageous and giving such a selfless gift.  I haven't heard your story yet, but know what you're doing is precious and life changing...for your recipient and for YOU.  Good luck and please let us know how you're doing!

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »
Upandover and Angelica, I too, will be donating to my best friend's father next week, Thursday June 9th.  I am so excited with every emotion except doubt too...  I will be praying for you both and I can't wait to be able to share our stories when we are on the road to recovery.    God bless you both and lot's of healing hugs coming your way to you and our recipients.
Hugs, Lisa/Twinkie

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
Next week sounds like a big one for everybody!
Best of luck to all!
May your dreams be sweet and your recovery quick!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 10:32:57 AM »
Gosh!  Lisa, Angelica, Upnover....you'll be on my heart next week.  I do want to know what you all do to wile away the time trying to keep your blood pressure down!

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
Hey Shelly, I have to tell you that I am constantly listening to praise and worship music.  I love to run, so that is my time to just be still and Listen to the Lord.  Well, not be still physically since I am running but in my spirit.  I have the best runs and times alone with the Lord, especially these days.  He knows my heart and what I am thinking at all times, so I try not to be anxious about anything but in prayer for all things.. Phil 4:6...   

To be honest if I didn't have Christ in my life, my rock, I know that I would be a basket case.  I know that he is the mighty physician and no matter what happens, that he is in control of ALL things..

You asked how I am handling the waiting, so I hope I have helped shed some light for you in anyway.

God Bless you all, Lisa/Twinkie

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
Wow! Next week sure will be a busy week for everyone! Best of luck to you Upnover, as well as to you Angelica and you Lisa! Please know that all of us here will be keeping all three of you, and your recipients, in our thoughts and prayers. You are each about to embark on such a life changing experience.

Upnover, I remember my last day at work before the surgery. I remember thinking, "Well, this is it. I am leaving here with 2 kidneys, and God willing, when I return in a few weeks, I will only have one!" (I am not sure how many people usually leave with thinking THAT on a daily basis.....lo)  ;)

Please do update us as soon as you are able to. God Bless!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
Lisa, I hear you about Philippians 4:6.  And one that really calms me believe it or not is Romans 14:8.  check it and see if you can relate...

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 06:08:38 PM »
     Might be a great time to start a little written/recorded journal of your donation experience. The before-during-after narration  might be very helpful to share in the future with potential donors.
       best wishes,
     Fr. Pat

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Praying for you here..
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »
My surgery was 19 months ago now, and I still remember how the LORD brought me TO and THROUGH this wonderful experience...

Phil Hoover
Chicago
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
Its very comforting to know that there is a body of fellow believers who know how to pray. At church this morning this was certainly reinforced to me as others said they would keep in their prayers. Everyone keeps asking for how long I will be down......I dont know. I never did this before is all I can say. Some try to compare it to a hernia operation or a C-section. Maybe a donor who has had either could chime in here!
In any case I feel so good and positive about this. I know it's the right thing to do. :)

Cant wait to check in here in a couple of days!

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
The HOLY SPIRIT spoke to me very clearly through Romans 14:8....

and HE will bring you through it all.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:01 PM »
Thank you for all your prayers.  Thank you Shelly for the verses and as you can see it was confirmed from the post above... Thank you Jesus!  I am praying for upnover as tomorrow is the big day for her.  I will be thinking of you Angelica on Friday as you give the ultimate gift to your husband.  What an exciting week for all of us and Shelly your day is approaching very soon too... Hugs to you all!  Lisa/Twinkie

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
a BIG hug to you Lisa, and another one to you, upnover!  The attitude of excitement you both have as you approach your transplants is obvious, and very inspiring to me.

May you feel yourselves held in the arms and presence of God throughout the entire time.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional