| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Lynchburg National Guardsman Donates Kidney to Fellow Soldier  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.wset.com/story/14885328/lynchburg-national-guardsman-donates-a-kidney

Lynchburg National Guardsman Donates Kidney to Fellow Soldier

Virginia National Guardsmen are no strangers to putting themselves in harm's way to help others.

In Lynchburg, one local soldier is living by that creed, even in his personal life. Sgt. Mike Hughes recently opted to donate a kidney, after learning another soldier needed one.

The transplant was completed last week and by all accounts, it was a complete success.

The recipient will remain at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for the next 60 days.  The donor returned home to Rustburg Friday.  When entering his neighborhood, he saw 285 American flags lining the route.  He's thankful, but says he's already been rewarded.

"The gift of life, there's no more precious of a gift that you can possibly ever give. And the benefit is just absolutely remarkable," said Sgt. Mike Hughes.

Both men have shared their story in a film produced by Thomas Road Baptist Church.

Sgt. 1st Class Dennis Ferguson says Hughes saved his life, even though he initially resisted the offer.

"It actually made it kind of a tough decision because I didn't want to put his family in harm's way either," said Sgt. 1st Class Ferguson.

"The hardest part in the whole situation is him being willing to accept it," said Sgt. Hughes.

Hughes calls the decision easy, especially since it was for a fellow guardsman.

"We're a very tight-knit family and we take care of our own," said Sgt. Hughes.

"Mike just didn't affect my life by giving me a kidney, he affected everyone around my life, my children, my family and my friends," said Sgt 1st Class Ferguson.

For Hughes, he says he only wishes he had more to give.

"My only regret is that I don't have more than two kidneys," said Sgt. Hughes.

Hughes and Ferguson met seven years ago as recruiters in the National Guard.

Ferguson is now stationed in Hampton.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional