| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Living Donors: What was YOUR experience like?  (Read 13626 times)

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Living Donors: What was YOUR experience like?
« on: June 12, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
I'd like to hear about your experience from the time you first decided to "donate" until your release from the hospital.

Which facility (if you don't mind sharing) did you use?  How long were you in the hospital after the surgery?  When were you admitted for your donor surgery?  How were you treated before, during, and after?

Was your Living Donor Coordinator helpful?  Unhelpful?  How?

Did you assembled a cadre/team/group of people to help with your "recovery" period after you were released from the hospital?  Who helped?  How did they help?

I think this would help us formulate a better picture for the potential donors who are "lurking" on this site.

Phil Hoover
Chicago
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Living Donors: What was YOUR experience like?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
Which facility did you use?  Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA

How long were you in the hospital after the surgery?  A day and a half.

When were you admitted for your donor surgery?  5 a.m. the morning of surgery.

How were you treated before, during, and after?  Mostly well, though the lapses in effective communication during my testing made for some challenging moments.  Long term, I'm glad I have good insurance, so I haven't had to challenge the transplant center about whether or not any of my subsequent conditions were donation related.

Was your Living Donor Coordinator helpful?  Unhelpful?  How?  The first one was unhelpful, by failing to give me the preparatory educational documents he was required to, and by making unjustified statements to be about my intended recipient's condition and the expected timing of testing and surgery.  Once we managed to figure this out as the source of all our confusion, his replacement was excellent.

Did you assembled a cadre/team/group of people to help with your "recovery" period after you were released from the hospital?  Who helped?  How did they help?  Yes, my family, extended family, and friends all helped afterward.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
Nice idea, Phil. It's always fun to talk about. :)

Which facility (if you don't mind sharing) did you use?  I used the University of Minnesota, which is now deemed THE BEST EVER! :)
How long were you in the hospital after the surgery? I had surgery on Tuesday, and was home Thurs am.
When were you admitted for your donor surgery? 5am. My pre op nurse was also a kidney donor, who had had a hysterectomy previous, so i drilled her with questions. It was fantastic. 
How were you treated before, during, and after? Fabulously. I am low maintance. I wanted to eat, get the cath out, walk the halls, poop and go home. Which is what I did. Everyone was very, very supportive and kind.
Was your Living Donor Coordinator helpful?  Unhelpful?  How?  She was magnificent. They really do a good job at the U of caring for their living donors. I guess that's my own personal opinion, but I have never been unanswered or ignored.
Did you assembled a cadre/team/group of people to help with your "recovery" period after you were released from the hospital? YES!
Who helped? Hubby stayed home for a week, then my parents "babysat" me, took the kids etc. Then I went back to work.
How did they help?  Mainly taking care of the kids for me so I could walk/rest/feed self/go potty and not have to worry about too much else. That support was DEFINITELY needed and a huge plus. :) Friends brought food etc. It was heavenly.

Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
Phil,

My surgery took place at the University of Minnesota (Fairview Hospital) transplant center in October, 2010.  I arrived for the surgery at 5 a.m. the day of and was release about two days after the surgery.  I had been up and walking on the day following my surgery.

My transplant team (surgeons, social worker, coordinator and medical staff) was GREAT!  I was very well informed of what was entailed in the processes leading up to acceptance as a donor.  I was very sensitively treated regarding my choices relative to when the surgery would be, whether-or-not I wanted to meet the recipient and his family (how, when and where), I always felt I had autonomy to make decisions about my participation and such and that I was respected and mostly, that I was special for deciding to donate.  I always felt I was well informed of the risks involved and my surgeons were definitely my advocates.

My living donor coordinator have become friends and we still stay in contact nearly 9 months post-op.  My surgeons are still collaterally involved in my aftercare.

Regarding my support system before, during and after surgery;  I didn't inform anyone about me decision to become a donor, other than my wife, until I was ultimately accepted to be a donor.  Even then, I only notified my children, my siblings, my parents and one very close friend. This was my choice for various reasons.  I chose not to let my work know, as I didn't want to be treated differently by anyone and I was doing this for someone else, not for me or for publicity.  Little did I know how incredibly humbling, moving and life-altering the donation would be for me. I'm still in AWE.  I didn't notify any other friends or extended family for much the same reason.  

I didn't meet my recipient and his family until the morning before the surgery.  I told them I am a big believer in gifts not having conditions or they are not gifts, but in this particular instance, the donation came with ONE LARGE condition;  I told them (recipient and his family) that they each needed to promise to find someway to "pay it forward" to someone in their lifetime.  They all promised  :)  

When I had my surgery, only my wife was with me at the hospital and I didn't have many visitors for the remaining weeks.  I wouldn't suggest this for those considering donation (please have an adequate support system before, during and after).

Finally, I am absolutely positive I would do this all again had I the chance - no matter if it is someone I know or not.  PLEASE - if you're considering living donation - become informed, listen to your heart, ask any of us on this forum any questions you have or to address any concerns and....please give someone a second chance at life.  Thanks

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
I donated on October 28, 2009 at the University of Alabama-Birmingham Medical Center....what a FABULOUS, absolutely FABULOUS facility!

(Being a native Alabamian--haven't lived there for 31 years--I knew the reputation for this great hospital).

I gave my left kidney to Dr Bill George, who had been one of my professors more than 25 years ago at Lee College (now University) in Cleveland TN.  Bill had been on hemodialysis for almost 3 years, 4 times a week.

I learned about him needing a kidney via FACEBOOK.   I had been on the "networking site" for all of two days, when a friend of mine (one of Bill's former students) had created a page telling of Dr George needing a kidney transplant.   I simply bowed my head, asked the LORD to provide a kidney for this wonderful man, saying, "God, somewhere out there, please send a match..."   Immediately, the Holy  Spirit spoke to me, "You are a match..." and all I could say was "yes, I'll do it."  This was between me and God for at least the next two days....but I was determined to do it.  ( I can tell the rest of the story in another post).

I was admitted to UAB on Tuesday morning, October 27th--coincidentally, Bill and I were placed in the same room--the only beds available in the hospital.   The only real tests I had were some final x-rays in the early afternoon, and filling out some paperwork.   There were a multitude of visitors (many who knew both Bill and myself).

The technicians came to get me about 5:15 a.m. on the morning of surgery, and I was READY...excited...and not the least bit nervous....the people at this hospital COULD NOT HAVE BEEN nicer or more accommodating to me.   A couple of the nurses in the pre-op area, came around and asked if they could pray for me, and boy did they pray a wonderful prayer!   The LORD heard and answered them...

My surgeon came to see me about 3 times between the time I came out of recovery (1:30 P.M.)  8 p.m. that evening.  He just wanted to see how I was feeling:  I was WIDE awake!   I  had not known better, I would have sworn they put Mountain Dew in my IV drip bag!

As soon as I was transported from the recovery room to my private room, there was a wonderful, WONDERFUL stream of visitors there for me.  One of my pastors from here in Chicago had flown down to be at the hospital with me, as well as many friends from the Huntsville area, and some mutual friends of ours (me and Bill) from Tennessee had driven down to be there for the "event."   Several of my friends from college days (in the early 1980s) came to the hospital and completely surprised me....My heart was THRILLED at all these people---many of whom had been thinking about me, following the "process" on FaceBook, and praying for me...as well as Bill.

My Living Donor Coordinator (Lucy Albritton, who is no longer at UAB) was FABULOUS beyond fabulous....she answered every single question I had through the six-month process (to the day) from the first set of blood tests to the time of surgery, and even afterwards.  We kept the phone lines from Chicago to Birmingham HUMMING, I"m sure.  She came by every single day to see about me, and to ask if I needed anything.

The story of how this "kidney transplant" was taking place was broadcast on Moody Radio--which is based in Chicago, and literally goes around the world.  The Moody Radio affiliate station in Birmingham had about 200 calls (even though the interview took place in Chicago and Chattanooga simulataneously) asking if I needed help with ANYTHING while I was in Birmingham......everyone wanted to be of assistance...this made me cry, more than once.

I stayed with friends from Youth Camp days (whom I had not seen in more than 20 years) in the Birmingham area, for seven days once I was discharge on that Saturday morning, October 31st--Halloween of all days!

I was able to fly back to Chicago on November 7, 2009.  Was picked up at O'Hare (20 minutes early, we landed---a miracle all by itself!)  A good friend from Church picked me up, and took me to the home of a physician (also a fellow church member) who lives across the street from Northwestern Hospital here in Chicago...these wonderful people waited on me hand-and-foot.   I could not have had a better support system.

Since I had a lifting restriction for 60 days, once I returned to Chicago, people were bringing me food every single day.  The Men's Ministry at my home church (The Moody Church) arranged for at least 2 meals every single day until January 1, 2010.  People came by to make sure everything was going well.  Ladies came over to help with my laundry, others wanted to make sure I was out walking enough, and the support/caring hasn't ended...now more than 19 months after the surgery took place.

Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
Hi

A perspective from the UK

Which facility did you use?  South West Thames - Testing and all work up and follow up at St Helier Hospital (the medical centre) and transplant at St Georges Hospital (the surgical centre) in SW London - they're about 20-30 min drive from one another.

How long were you in the hospital after the surgery?  2 days (surgery on Wednesday morning, discharged after ward round on Friday so home for lunch!)  Had enough of hospital food and bed by then and was very ready to go home.  Got out of bed on Thursday morning and was walking around the ward.

When were you admitted for your donor surgery? 2pm the day before surgery.  All tests and final cross matching etc completed by late afternoon leaving us free for my recipient and I and one of our friends to go out for dinner together.

How were you treated before, during, and after?  Very well - everything went very smoothly, got the impression I was on a very well oiled and practised 'production line'.  They knew exactly what needed to happen and when and communicated this at the start so we felt confident.

Was your Living Donor Coordinator helpful?  Unhelpful?  How?  We had two, one at St Helier and then one who was dedicated to look after us at St Georges throughout our admission.  A trainee (qualified Renal nurse) Transplant Co-ordinator was shadowing her so we had two nurses to care for two of us.  All helpful and very personable.  2 years post transplant I ran into the St Helier one whilst visiting a friend and she remembered both my name and my recipient's.  They do c.100 transplants a year which says something about her.  Definitely very positive experience and would do it all again if I could.

Did you assembled a cadre/team/group of people to help with your "recovery" period after you were released from the hospital?  Who helped?  How did they help? Yes, I went to stay with friends from church for 2 weeks and my recipient joined us on her discharge.  Went home when I could safely drive and was confident at being able to care for my recipient who came to stay with me for a further week til she was ready to return home to her kids.  Did lots of bulk shopping and food prep/freezing as well as housework beforehand and lots of people visited, offered to do shopping etc.  I went back to work after 3 weeks, working from home for the first week then did a couple weeks part time once back in the office.

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:58:16 AM »
Don't want this thread to get "lost" in the back pages....well, at least not right now...

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
anyone else?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
 :D

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:26:46 AM »
Hi all, this is my first post here. 

I had volunteered 9 years ago as a donor for my niece who was diagnosed with IgA neuropothy at age 28, when she went to the emergency room with what she thought was an asthma attack because she couldn't breath.  Well she was going into congestive heart failure from all the fluid in her system from failing kidneys.  She had  graduated from nursing school and had been hired 6 months previous by the UW Hospital in Madison, Wi. She didn't have a clue this was happening.  She ended up being on dialysis for about 1 1/2 years.   This took some time to step forward as having 3 active teenagers, owning and working in a very physical job, and having a husband that was not real open to the idea.  I was one of two volunteers at the time.  The other person was a co worker of my nieces dad, my brother in-law. He had a closer match then myself by one marker so he was selected as the donor at that time.  But I always said, I would be her ace in the hole when needed in the future.

So nine years later, she needed another transplant. However, I am now 59 1/2 and she is 37.  They would like to find a closer age donor of course.  Our daughter also volunteered this time.  She was a perfect match!  But, the CT scan showed she has a singular kidney!  Our youngest also has this but was discovered when he was in sports in high school.  There were a few others volunteers, but, they had medical issues that kept them from donating.  My niece couldn't cut a brake!  They asked if I would consider being a chain donor to find her a better match and I said sure.  But, after 6 months on dialysis, she and her doctors felt that I would be a viable donor for her.  She had undergone a treatment a year previous that suppressed her immune system so as to stop her body from rejecting her first transplanted kidney, I had the same antigen and her blood had changed enough, form that treatment, that I was a better match than previous.

When it was finally decided that testing went very quickly. Found out that for 59 1/2, I was pretty darn healthy.  A lot of younger people hadn't been. The co-ordinator was wonderful as well as all the others that I was in contact with. Within a month all the testing was done,  waited about 2 weeks to get the final OK from the board, BP was the issue.  BP does run in the family, two olders sisters on meds, year previous physical was fine, but, it was sometimes high during testing. They weren't sure if it was white coat hypertension, or caffiene.   I was told that I may have to take BP meds after surgery as a result of having a singular kidney, I was fine with that.  It would be inevitable anyway so, sooner than later didn't make much differnce to me.  Keep in mind, my BMI was right at the cut off point, 25. And hubby and I had become quite the couch potatoes.  Anything higher, and I would have had to loose weight before surgery.  The OK came down but then the surgeon my niece wanted for me was going on vacation, so it was put off a month.  Then as she was talking to the co-ordinator she noticed an empty slot in 10 days!  Could I be available that soon?  Well,  I'll make myself available.

Donated at the UW Hospital, Madison, Wi. Thursday,March 10, 2011. National Kidney Awareness Day!  We were scheduled for the second surgery of the day.  I was admitted at 9 a.m. and went into surgery about 2.  They were a bit behind from the first surgery.  I was very calm, BP was great, staff was great.  The entire donation process was very positive, wonderful people and doctors. They gave me a shot then in about 15 min.  I kissed hubby good bye and that is all I remember until waking up in my room. 

We have 3 children by natural childbirth, no drugs.  The only surgery I have had was a tubal ligation after the third birth. So the naval discomfort was the same from that, sharp, stabbing but tolerable pain, and my daughter had a C section so she had prepared me for the "delivery" incision discomfort, hard to stand up straight and take normal length steps.  Didn't walk until the next day in the later afternoon.  I wasn't prepared for my entire abdomen to be soooo puffy and swollen and droopy!  Oh would it ever be normal again!  But then, they do pump you full of fluids, you are puffy all over from that.  The floor personal were gentle and concerned.  I had a lot of nausea, dizziness, terrible dry mouth, and was soooo smell sensitive!  Food didn't interest me at all, water was hard to even drink.  I had lots of gas sounds so the staff was happy about that. Pain pump and catheter came out on Sat.  I had the shakes bad when I was up and using the bathroom, hard to relax and do what needed to be done.  They did keep checking my bladder with the portable ultrasound.  Had to cath me once in bed.  But then things finally started working and they were happy that I was emptying my bladder very well each time.  The collection amounts were good as I had finally started drinking, but food was still tough to stomach.  Smell sensitivity lasted at least a month!

On Sat evening at the 11pm shift change, my new nurse checked my vitals. You don't get much sleep as they are always checking vitals and drawing blood.  My BP was really spiking, it had been running a bit high right along after surgery but then you have some pain to contend with, so gave me some meds, but kept checking frequently the next two hours.  Sleep was hard to come by as it is on that floor let alone monitored for something like this and trying to settle down afterwards. Then they wake you up again for blood draw at 4.  Soooo, I was not feeling great the next day.  They kept me another day to moniter the BP.  Ok.  Sunday was up walking, had my family bring me food from the cafeteria as the plastic covers on the food they bring you has all the smells of all the food that has ever been under them and I just could get beyond that.  So I was starting to eat salads, chicken salad, oatmeal, jello, that kind of food if family brought it in to me.  That night, same thing, BP really was high that night.   They gave a med that I had a bad reaction to.  My heart was racing and irregular for most of the rest of the evening.  I ended up with a terrible migraine.  I know what it is and it is in my records to never give that drug again. I have never an alergy to anything previous.  By that time I had had it with no rest, I just wanted to go home.  I promised to go to my regular doctor to follow up on the BP issue.  So by noon I was discharged.  They sent me home with a BP cuff to moniter at home.

My niece was also released the same day, but later, they were removing her dialysis stint from her chest as well that day. My "rehomed" kidney was performing wonderfully, right from the operating room.  Her creatine was lower than mine already!!!

My co-ordinator called me on Mon and asked if I would be able to come into the clinic on Thursday at the UW to follow up on the BP with a specialty doctor.  I arranged for a driver and went in.  They were very concerned about the high numbers and they were indeed high.  189/102 a couple of times since getting home and was slightly higher in the hospital those couple of nights.
I never had symptoms before this other than occasional night sweats, but then having gone through menopause that was nothing new.  And of course, when at the hospital you can't take your own vitamins, eat as you normally would at home, nor could I tolerate coffee after surgery, still don't care to ever have another cup, and I loved that first cup in the morning.  Strange.  So my entire body chemistry was out of wack.  Didn't have any of my regular dietary intake to counteract the BP issue that I didn't know I had.  The not being able to eat sure didn't help. 

So they started me on low dose BP meds, Calcium channel blocker, and a diuretic.  They covered all the expense for these meds until at least the 6 month check up.  They were very nice and very concerned about my welfare.  I seem to be rather drug sensitive so low dose meds, watch my diet and getting more excercise was the way to go.

Then on that Sat. I came down with some viral thing.  Could not eat a thing, stomach hurt so quit taking Tylonol for pain as well.  Even more smell sensitive than previous.  One degree below normal temp, cold to the bone.  That lasted an entire week, lost 10lbs that week.  Even had a low blood sugar episode one day.  So, having that and starting meds in the same week wasn't so good.  The meds really made me tired, my sister had warned me about that part of it, but said it does pass as your body gets used to the meds.  Then finally started to feel better the following week.  Little by little.  Would walk laps in the house, weather was lousy yet that time of year.

Stool softeners gave me gas and Miralax caused bigger harder to pass stools. Probiotics, I used Colon Health, worked much better and was gentler on the system.  TMI perhaps, but, if might help someone else.

I had help from family the first 2 weeks I was home, after that I was on my own during the day.  But they did everything when they would get home in the evening for about the first week after that,  then I slowly started the cooking, as I could stand the smells, cooking meat and making coffee were the worst, and other household work as I felt I could.

I have lost 15lbs, walk 2-4 miles most days, BP is 110/73 average now.  Might ask about getting off meds just as a trial at 6 month checkup.  But if not, that is ok as they do protect the kidney from future damage as well.

I have since read a lot more about donation, results of and how it will effect your life, found this forum and have lurked here for sometime.  Wonderful information here and lots of good people.  So now that I am more informed that before the actual surgery I would still do it again if I had a spare!

Hope this helps others to please consider strongly on giving this gift of life to someone, the return is well worth the effort.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:30 AM »
Keep in mind, my BMI was right at the cut off point, 25.

Thank you very much for that informative post.  I hope you are feeling well!  But, I was wondering:  was there some particular reason (age? BP?) your BMI "cut off point" was 25? I thought the goal was more around 30.
        Snoopy

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
That is what my co-ordinator told me.  If it was age related or BP concerns, I'm not sure.  Perhaps the UW just has chosen that figure to be in the donors best interest.  Less complications and better recovery from the surgery.  My niece had also had to lose weight before they would give her a transplant.  She had really been working hard at it best she could for the 6 months she was on dialysis and did make her goal weight which also helped the surgery to move forward so quickly.

A BMI of 30 for 5'4" would put me at 174lbs. That would have put me in the obese range.  I was almost 150lbs at the time of surgery, down 10lbs from the year before, my all time high.  Still considered overweight.  But now at 134lbs., yeah, I am in the BMI of 24 and under, the healthy range.  My goal weight is 125lbs.  By the time this belly fat comes off that should be about right for me. 

Living with one kidney for the rest of my life has made me decide to make some life altering choices, which are definatly  for the better anyway.  I knew all these past years I needed to make changes, but, it wasn't important enough to me.  Now it is.  If it is to be, it is up to me.  I want to live a healthy lifestyle. It hasn't been easy learning to cook differently, eat less or none, of the favorites we loved.   Starting an excercise program was also hard, but as the weight started coming off and the energy level got better, it was a win win program.

The BP is so low normal now is why I question if I need meds at all, but will continue until the 6 month check up and beyond if it will protect the one I have forever!

As so often I have read, donors were very healthy to start with which enabled them to be a donor, and most continue good health for the rest of their lives, because they have decided, most of there lives, to make the choices needed to be healthy.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »
Which facility did you use? - I donated at the University of Wisconsin Madison

How long were you in the hospital after surgery?  4 days

When were you admitted?  My husband and I were both admitted the morning of surgery.

How were you treated?  I was treated extremely well. I loved my surgeon and had absolutely fabulous nurses. My only complaint was that I developed a rash about a day and a half after the surgery. When it first appeared, the nurses thought it might be shingles (it wasn't). Because I did not want to give it to anyone else if that were the case, so I stayed in my room. The intern/doctor that was on the floor at the time apparently did not feel it was real high importance to come in and check on me right away. The nurses were coming in and apologizing and trying to help me. The darn thing itched and spread real fast. I finally got help when one of the doctors came around with a whole group of students. They came in my room and the doctor said "I hear you developed a rash?" I lifted my shirt to show him and said "Yes - and it really itches! Does anyone have any cream for this?!?!" It sounds funny now, but boy I was rather miserable at that point. They sent me home with a prednisone pack and RX cream. I ended up going to a dermatologist by me and it took a really strong 10 day dose of Prednisone to finaly get rid of it. They think it was something I was allergic to - but don't know what. The weird thing is, my coordinator said I was the third person in as many months to have this happen. Mine took the longest to clear up.

Was your living coordinator helpful?  Yes. I absolutley loved my coordinator. She was friendly, organized, and helpful.

Did you extend a cadre/team/ group of people to help with your "recovery period after you were released from the hospital?  Yes. My Mom lives right next door, and my brother and in laws live in town and all helped us. Our Daughter was in college but only lived across town so she stayed at home with us while we recovered. Our Son was in college 3 hours away. He came for the surgery and came home on weekends when he could.
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »
Still wanting to hear from others.....

dlpisgiving

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »
I was at NW in Chicago (liver donor).  I stayed one whole night in ICU and then was sent on my way!  Crazy but true.  The little time I was there I felt I was in great hands.  They kick you out as I believe they fear getting MRSA and the like is a greater danger than anything else.  I have a spouse and 2 teens who were very helpful with at home care.  Any questions I had were immediately responded to by the transplant nurse/coordinator. 

Having said that, I still wish I could have had at least one more night in the hospital.  The hospital bed is much better/easier for getting in and out of.  Hmmm...let me know if you have any questions!

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »
Which facility (if you don't mind sharing) did you use? Johns Hopkins after being listed at two other centers in my home state that did not perform pre transplant plasmapheresis.  We are about six hours from Baltimore nestled in North Carolina. 

Was your Living Donor Coordinator helpful?  Unhelpful?  How?  Very.  I am a bit of a transplant connoisseur, having worked with two centers extensively.  I was constantly micromanaging the other centers with test results, listing issues and other things that dealt primarily with my husband. 

I didn't have to micromanage my husband's coordinator or my coordinator at all.  I was able to participate as a bridge donor, meaning my husband received his kidney first and I could donate after he healed.  I actually picked the week that was best for me to donate with my work schedule, which required a surgeon switch to Dr. Dagher, who I really liked.  I also liked the female transplant fellow, until she took the tegaderm off my main incision :)

My coordinator went out of her way to arrange for me to meet the surgeon, who then was called into surgery.  He called and spoke to me over the phone.  My husband's coordinator, was on deck for my surgery since my kidney was being shipped.  She would come in and out of the OR to update my family and even took pictures with my blackberry. 

Also, I had a bladder infection at the time of my preop appointment.  I am prone to UTIs and my OB was aware of my donation.  My coordinator told me she would send me a prescription to take prior to surgery.  She actually filled the prescription and mailed it to me.

The week before the surgery, Yale failed to send a final crossmatch kit in time.  I constructed my own with the help my coordinator and got it off to Yale.  My last hep c result never came back and I had to rush to get a new test ordered stat from our local transplant center three days before surgery.  Yale was willing to accept my kidney based on my May hep c antibody levels and that I had this test completed in December.

JH has a special floor where they "dump" the donors as a courtesy if there is space.  It is very small floor and costs additional to your hospital room.  I had a robe, access to fiji water, tea time and a special menu.  The shampoo and conditioner were Ferragamo and the sheets were at least 250 thread count.  I felt like my nurse had one other patient. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony and drank my weight in Perrier.  Sherri visited me and I was in her old room :) 

I stayed in the hospital for three nights.  I could have left after two, but I was going to a hotel verses home.  Had there been any MRSA on the floor, I would have left after two. 

Caregivers:  My husband had recovered wonderfully from his third transplant, but was in a boot due to tendon issues.  I felt he was more in the way initially, but he came through with massaging, helping me wash and telling me I was not fat  (I had an extra 17 pounds of fluid that was gone in a week).  I had a student nurse that assisted me with walking and other needs.  She was absolutely fantastic. 

The surgery was a lot easier than I ever thought and the pain was more akin to stiffness.  I am two weeks post op and feel it was a great experience.  I am having a few boredom/emotional issues transitioning from performing home hemo on my husband six days a week to a healthy family that has evenings free.  The anxiety of my own surgery hindered this transition when he first returned from Baltimore after a month.

I stayed in Baltimore for a week after donation in a hotel and returned to work eight days after donating part time.  I have not had any loss of energy, but would take my pain medication/tylenol the first week of donation to help prevent stiffness and induce naps.    My renal function returned to the goal within a week of donating.  I did not need that much help from others.

I am having someone come and clean my home for the next six weeks while I recover.  I can do small chores.

Extras:  As for bathroom issues, eat prunes.  That solved every problem in the world and was a game changer.  I wish I had taken some to the hospital.  I found prunes to be great to take with pain medication, as it eased that little upset stomach feeling I would receive. 

24 hour clear liquid diet:  JH requires donors to be on a clear liquid diet the day before the surgery.  I felt like this greatly decreased my nausea and allowed my bowels to function quickly.  I ate my weight in sorbet.  It does make a difference what you eat the week before surgery, as it will be sitting in your bowels for a while.  I limited red meat and ate a seafood/plant based diet.   

I want to note that my recovery should be viewed as the exception and not the rule.  My young age and tiny body size played a role. 

Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional