| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I also would like to be a Living Donor...  (Read 8758 times)

Offline donorrr

• Conversationalist
I also would like to be a Living Donor...
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:42:18 AM »

I am looking into being an altruistic kidney donor.  I should be a good canidate for this - healthy 47 yr old man; have never smoked or drank alcohol (I know, I'm a boring guy).  I have no work issues or financial pressures.  I can deal with the pain (related to the surgery) for the sake of someone else; and I understand the risks that come with this event.

Given that background... my bigger concerns are related to insurance - both health and LIFE insurance. 

I have a wife and three younger children (13, 11, 6).  I have a life insurance policy that (added to my current assets) would give my wife a secure future (to stay at home and raise our kids and care for herself).  I suspect my life insurance policy would not accept this type of "voluntary" risk - although I will try to get some confirmation from the carrier one way or the other. Per chance, do any of you know if there is short-term life insurance (one year) available that would cover the risk of this procedure for say, up to a year?

Are there specific questions that I should ask my current health insurance provider related to covering any issues I may have from this procedure?  Obviously having someone at my insurance company verbally say "you're covered" is different than having clear proof of it - so what specifically should I request from my insurance company that clearly shows I am covered to the degree they commit to verbally?  What commitments for care should I expect (and get from) from the patient's insurance company? ("patient" being the one who needs the kidney)?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thank you in advance for any advice or direction you can provide.

Rod

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
Re: I also would like to be a Living Donor...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:30:30 AM »
Read the exclusions in your certificate.  They are typically clear and precise.  I have never seen an exclusion for organ donation.  You should have no need to contact the insurance company.  They can't "rescind" your policy, though, unless you have had it less than two years and you lied on your application about an existing medical condition.
audrey

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Eldonna Edwards, Author/Speaker
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:55:29 PM »
First, kudos on your decision to donate.

As an uninsured donor, I had similar concerns, and was happy to discover (via the National Kidney Registry) that the the Living Organ Donor Network provides cost-free Life and Medical Expense coverage (related to the donation only) for one year beginning on the day of transplant.

Call Arlene Skinner 804-323-9890, or visit www.amftd.org for more information.  The health insurance is through Anthem Blue Cross and covers any medical expenses related to the donation, and the accidental death coverage is $500,000. The only requirement from you is that you agree to answer a periodic follow-up survey as they are trying to collect health-related data on donors.
Author of Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
Wow, Pink! Great info!!!! Thanks for sharing it!
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »

Per chance, do any of you know if there is short-term life insurance (one year) available that would cover the risk of this procedure for say, up to a year?

Rod,

For short-term life insurance needs, you can apply for individual "term" life insurance. By definition, term insurance lasts for only a specified period, or term, such as a year, five years, or 10 years, or you can go year-by-year as long as you pay the premiums. You would be subject to proof of insurability. Since it sounds like you're employed, another source might be your employer's group life insurance program. If they offer optional coverage, you could increase your coverage for the next year or so. There may be limitations on your ability to make a mid-year election and you might also need to provide proof of insurability (even though it's a group plan), so ask whoever manages the benefits program.

Another insurance consideration is to make sure you have sufficient disability coverage--especially long-term disability.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline donorrr

• Conversationalist
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »
All - thanks for the info.

I will look through my current term life insurance policy for exclusions (as audrey12 suggested).  I don't have an employer; I am an investor who is self-insured via BCBS - so increasing coverage (if needed) should be an easy option to look at; long-term disability is an interesting thought as well -- thanks Michael

Pinkadelic - thats excellent info for me - that kind of support from LODN will help mitigate the primary risk I am concerned about.

Rod

Phil in Chicago

Find out what the laws are in your state
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:54 AM »
regarding time off work for being a living organ donor. This will be tremendously important to you.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional