| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Medic Alert Tattoos  (Read 12594 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: Medic Alert Tattoos
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »
That makes me think of this tattoo designed for me by Brian Wren in Brooklyn, NY. I have it on a t-shirt.

Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline 1kidneylady

• Conversationalist
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »
I recently read that there is alot of heavy metals in tattoo ink which would be toxic to someone with only one kidney.  Did anyone discuss this with their dr. before getting one?

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
Great ideas!

I'm contemplating KIDNEY accros across and DONOR downwards (using the "D" in the word kidney), but can't quite figure out the type of artwork to soften it yet.

Offline Dirty Rocker

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
I recently read that there is alot of heavy metals in tattoo ink which would be toxic to someone with only one kidney.  Did anyone discuss this with their dr. before getting one?

With all due respect, I believe you have been misinformed. If heavy metals were that prevalent in tattoo ink, people with two kidneys would also be in danger, not to mention liver damage and other problems in normally healthy people. The greatest health risk in tattooing is infection and cross-contamination from unsafe hygienic practices. I've been getting tattooed for 16 years and have done a lot of research on the subject. Of course, transplant recipients would have to be much more careful, if they are ever cleared to be tattooed after transplant (I've heard some people are allowed by their team to get tattooed, some are not).

For the record, of course I cleared it with my transplant team, especially because I wanted to get them done before I returned to work after surgery. The team told me it should have no bearing on my kidney function or health, and Baylor has some of the best statistics for transplants in the country, so I trust their medical advice for myself, but I would encourage anyone interested in getting tattooed after surgery discuss it with their doctor or transplant team before doing so.
Donated Left Kidney to a close friend on 4/23/2013
Baylor All Saints Medical Center in Fort Worth, TX

Offline leftover

• Conversationalist
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
I am about a month post transplant, and my fiance has encouraged me to where a medic alert bracelet.  I might consider this instead!

Leftover

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
     It might be wise to use a bracelet/medal even if you also have a tattoo. I think most medical emergency folks are trained to look for alert bracelets/medals, but might not (in an emergency) think to stop and read a tattoo? Plus the danger that in a bad accident a tattoo might be obscured by blood? Having both might be safer.
     Fr. Pat

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »
That's a good point made about having both. I've been told by an EMT worker that they don't even look for bracelets because it's their job to apply necessary care deemed at the time during an "emergency".

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Medic Alert necklaces are seen as soon as vitals are checked. Bracelets are a good alternate location if necklaces are a problem. I don't like necklaces, but prefer wearing one to having anything on my wrists. My scars provide my history better than tattoos. Not judging, just not for me.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline ashlee1313

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
     It might be wise to use a bracelet/medal even if you also have a tattoo. I think most medical emergency folks are trained to look for alert bracelets/medals, but might not (in an emergency) think to stop and read a tattoo? Plus the danger that in a bad accident a tattoo might be obscured by blood? Having both might be safer.
     Fr. Pat

I'm not sure about EMTs because their primary job is to get you to the hospital ASAP, but trauma and other types of nurses (at least the ones I have spoken to) are required to look for tattoos and other markings in addition to looking out for alert bracelets when a patient is brought into the hospital.  Also, outside of people needing a medical bracelet/tattoo/whatever, tattoos can serve as way to help find the identity of any person if they did not have an ID on their body when the emergency occurred.

I agree that having both would be a good idea, because a bracelet or necklace can break and get lost, but wherever you got the tattoo could be severely disfigured as well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:22:17 AM by ashlee1313 »

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional