| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: UNOS: Follow-Up Reporting for Living Kidney Donors  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
UNOS: Follow-Up Reporting for Living Kidney Donors
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
http://www.atcmeetingabstracts.com/abstract/follow-up-reporting-for-living-kidney-donors/

Follow-Up Reporting for Living Kidney Donors
J. Wainright, M. McBride, M. Dew, D. Bolton, C. Thomas

Abstract number: 195

Follow-up reporting for living kidney donors (LKDs) increases knowledge of short-term risks of donation. Anecdotal evidence suggests that low reporting rates are due to LKDs declining follow-up and to disadvantages of small programs (e.g., too few resources) and large programs (e.g., overwhelming volume).

The cohort was LKDs who donated 1/1/07 – 12/31/10 in the US (n=23,978). LKDs with organs not transplanted at the recovery hospital were excluded. Outcomes were timely reporting of LDKs’ lab values (serum creatinine, urine protein) and clinical data (dialysis, hypertension, diabetes, complications, readmission, working for income, and COD, if applicable) on 1-yr OPTN Living Donor Follow-up forms. Data were considered timely if patient status date was within 2 months of donation anniversary.

Rates of timely clinical data increased from 31% of LKDs who donated in 2007 to 48% of LKDs in 2010. 19% of LKDs in 2007 had timely lab data, vs. 32% in 2010. 16% of LKDs in 2007 had both timely clinical and lab data, vs. 27% in 2010. 19% of programs reported both lab and clinical data for at least 50% of LKDs in 2007, vs. 27% of programs for LKDs in 2010. 27% of LKDs in 2007 had no status or were not seen, vs. 11% in 2010. Few LKDs declined follow up (8% in 2007; 6% in 2010).

Program reporting for lab and clinical data ranged from 0% to 100% of LKDs, with a median of 10% in 2007, vs. 21% in 2010 (range: 0-100%). Program LDK volume was not associated with reporting, and some large and small programs achieved excellent rates of reporting.

There has been a steady increase in follow-up reporting over the past several years. The small number of LKDs who declined follow-up shows that donor unwillingness may not be a major barrier. Program volume and reporting rates are unrelated, suggesting that continued improvements are achievable by large and small programs.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline brenda

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: UNOS: Follow-Up Reporting for Living Kidney Donors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »
I've contacted my transplant center (Georgetown University/Medstar Hospital Transplant Center) three times over three weeks regarding follow-up for my two-year anniversary. I have the same phone number, e-mail address, and physical address that I had 2 years ago. I have heard nothing from them in the month that I have been trying to reach them.  I wonder what happens to the donors who don't contact them.  Is their lack of response because they assume there is nothing to learn (i.e., we are all fine) or because they don't want to know?

Brenda

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional