| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Bankling Blood  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
Bankling Blood
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
Has anyone banked a couple of units of your blood prior to the surgery? and if so how did you go about it?

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Bankling Blood
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:43 PM »
This will be transplant center/hospital-specific, so your best bet is to ask there.

I asked about it at my pre-surgical appointment and was told...something I can't remember (it was 3.5 years ago) but there was a good reason why I decided not to do it.

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »
I agree with Kara-ask your center. I brought this up with my surgeon during my all-day evaluation & he was very frank with me. It was his experience that if I needed blood during my surgery I couldn't bank enough beforehand. A little frightening but he had only ever had one donor who needed a transfusion. And that donor would have never been able to bank what he ended up needing.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline WellGrounded

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
I'm in the process of doing this. My surgery is in 2 weeks and this past week I donated 1 unit of blood. I'm suppose to be donating another unit this week. You're only allowed to donate a unit of blood every week since that's how long it takes to recover from it but I highly suggest you do it to avoid complications in case you do need a blood transfusion. Who knows what diseases or infections you could end up contracting from other people's blood.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved