| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Traveling immediately after discharge!  (Read 4780 times)

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
Traveling immediately after discharge!
« on: May 31, 2013, 06:13:25 AM »
After 6 months I finally have my approval for donation and we have a date set, July 10th (kidney donation to a friend).  I have been researching this whole time and feel I'm informed on all aspects.  At this point my biggest concern is traveling immediately after discharge.  I live 330 + miles from the transplant center.  The center does not require that donors stay close to the center.  I am hopefully going to get some assistance with out-of-pocket expenses (travel & lodging) but in case that dosen't come through can anyone tell me if they made a 5 1/2 hour (or more) drive the day of discharge?  I've been told I will probably be discharged the second day after surgery.  I heard from one lady who was discharged the 3rd day and had a 2 hour trip.  She said they gave her a shot the morning of discharge and she did fine.  I'm leary of traveling that soon and leary of being that far away from the transplant center in case of complications.  What would those who have been there done that suggest?

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Traveling immediately after discharge!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »
Dear Nancy,

I had a much shorter trip, only 1 1/2 hours on the second day.  I was quite uncomfortable and had to take a pain pill.  Holding a firm pillow over the incision helped. 

I'd plan for how you will handle a bathroom stop since you will likely need one.

Plus, keep in mind that the release from hospital is dependent on how you feel - no one will kick out a kidney donor if they are not ready to leave.  If you are in pain and can't walk reasonably well then you should stay another day. 

Love, elephant

Love, elephant

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
I am surprised that your center does not require you to stay after surgery so that you could have a follow up at the clinic with the surgeon to check on the wound, have your blood and urine checked etc. No one obviously can make you stay but then you would have to plan for a long car ride in terms of comfort and risk. After any surgery you are at risk for blood clots. Most hospitals have a protocol to use ted stockings (the thick elastic stockings on your legs) or SCD (The blood pressure like pump cuffs that inflate and deflate on your legs), these are to promote circulation in your legs as patients after surgery are at increased risk for clots. They also give heparin shots to patients to prevent blood from clotting. Sitting for long periods of time is not recommended. If you do take a long trip you would need to take frequent breaks to walk around and of course use the bathroom because you should be increasing your fluid intake. You should also have an emergency contact who is willing to see you in your city should a complication arise. As with any surgery there is risk for bleeding, infection, hernia gastric issues, etc. Sometimes you may not see these right away but rather within the first week of surgery.

Have you discussed the discharge plan with your team? Are they comfortable sending you off right away? You say you are leary of early discharge and being far away so if possible plan to stay a few nights. Hospitals usually have special arrangements with hotels near by for their patients. Also the recipient is permitted by law to pay for expenses related to travel and/or lodgings. Sometimes, family members who wanted to donate and were not able to because of incompatibility or health issues are more than happy to help their loved one with finances instead of an organ. A kidney is only one part of the transplant journey. Friends and family also hold fundraisers or ask for donations from their community, church/synagogue or other religious institutions to help defray the costs of the transplant.

Personally, I would feel much comfortable being close by and also a little worried that a surgeon would feel comfortable sending his/her patient 5 1/2 hours away on day 2 or 3 post op.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »
Our drive was about two hours from the center. I also had a little more recovery time in the hospital as they coordinated our discharge so that family could come get us together to go home rather than make two separate trips. Our surgery was on a Tuesday and we went home on Saturday. Both of us took a pain pill about an hour before we left, and our ride (hubby's brother and sister) brought us each a pillow to hold over our stomach.

Have you checked with the center about authorizing a visiting nurse for you for a period of time once you get home? The visiting nurse was there mainly for my husband for the next couple weeks until his and my check back appointment. But she still would ask how I was doing and made sure I wasn't having any issues. 
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
Thanks everyone,

Sherri - I was only thinking about the discomort associated with a trip that long.  I hadn't even thought about the increased danger of bloodclots from sitting that long. I'm surprised also that they don't require me to stay close by, for a couple of days at least, where they can check on me.  The hospital does use the pump cuffs that inflate and deflate on your legs after the surgery.  If I were to ad frequent brakes to the travel time there is no telling how long it would take me to get home.  As far as an emergency contact who is willing to see me should a complication arise, I live in a small town and my doctor's office can't even assure me the doctors have ever followed a living donor.  You echo my concerns and I think you have helped me make up my mind.  Whether or not I'm reimbursed I staying for at least a few days.

Nancy

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 02:17:38 AM »
Dear Nancy,
     Yes, I do that that it is wise to stay near the hospital for a couple of days. It will probably not be necessary, but IF you become one of the small percentage of donors who have serious post-op complications it would be very helpful to be able to go right back to the same hospital and the same doctors. If in doubt, err on the side of safety, not economy.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Nancy,

I had about a 4 hour drive after the surgery.   Of course "I" didn't drive but rode as a passenger.

I was released on the fourth day.   So, three nights in the hospital after the surgery.   Kidney was removed via laproscopy.   I didn't remain in the local area afterwards.    They  scheduled a follow-up visit for me at a local hospital (Univ of Mich) which honestly, was worthless.   I waited for a long time in the waiting room and when the doctor finally came in he asked why I was there.  Not much value in the visit, ok, no value.    The transplant center arranged for tests to check levels, etc, very regular though, which was good for tracking recovery.  They (Clarion) also were excellent at answering any questions via phone or email.  So, no compllaints except for the UM treatment.  I guess since I wasn't one of 'their' patients, there was not much interest.

Back to the four+ hour drive.    When I was released, the hospital gave me two shots to help with the trip.  One for nausea (I had contracted norovirus while in  the hospital) and a a morphine shot for discomfort.   Needless to say, the trip went fine.  Really no problems.

You'll need someone to drive though.   Between anesthesia, pain, new  incisions, etc, it would be a mistake to try to drive yourself anywhere for a couple of weeks.

Good luck!
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline flacapt

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »
Nancy,
Soo glad you decide to stay put. Travel after release, for me 5.5 hours, would have been terrible. GOOD Call!
Donor 10/12 B-N-Law Mayo Clininc, Jax, Fl.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved