| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I am officially a donor!  (Read 8262 times)

APV

I am officially a donor!
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
The kidney transplant to my husband took place 6 days ago at UC, San Francisco Medical Center and everything went very smoothly.  We both got to the leave the hospital after four days.  I ended up staying a little longer than expected because pain control became an issue.  The pain medication was making me very nauseous so they had to play around with the right pain medication and dose so I could be comfortable and not too nauseous.  Nothing too out of the ordinary.  I also think they were being nice to me and allowed me to stay a little longer so I could leave at the same time as my husband.  EVERYONE at UCSF was great. 

My husband is doing amazing!  He looks like a new man.  I am also doing really well now.  My pain is manageable and I feel like my energy is coming back.  I do take a lot of naps and let people take care of things for me.  We have such an amazing support system that I almost feel guilty for all the attention we get.   My husband and I only have to worry about resting and doing as much walking as we can manage.   

I will keep posting more information in the next few days.  We have lots of family around all the time, so I don't always get to my computer.

THANK YOU so much to all of you for your support and kind words leading up to the transplant day.  You helped me get through this experience without fear.

Much love,
Angelica

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: I am officially a donor!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Welcoem to the club! Must be nice to be so close to your recipient and see their day to day progress. Glad you and your husband are doing well. Let your family and friends "spoil" you. You deserve it.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
Hi Angelica!
Congratulations to both you and your husband!!! Your post gave me happy tears! I am so, so happy, and how amazing for you to see his transformation right before your eyes.
I'm sending you both speedy continued healing vibes, and lots of love. Your incredible bodies are doing so much right now. Completely awesome.
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
Congratulations!  Best wishes to you both.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
Angelica, congratulations to both you and your recipient!!!  Enjoy this time of rest, relaxation and relief.  Woohoo! :)

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:36:11 PM »
Welcome to the one-kidney club! And now your husband has three, I assume. :) So glad you had a positive experience at UCSF. So, did you walk the 9 Long Mile (12 laps)? Did you get your T-shirt? My husband and I both still wear ours proudly.

Take care of each other,
Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
Welcome home and congratulations Angelica! Enjoy the recovery time. My husband and I found it to be a time of great joy and happiness. The combination of him feeling much better and being able to spend six weeks of time totally together was wonderful!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the club!  I hope you both have a quick recovery.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
Angelica,

So happy to see you and your husband are both doing so well.  Please take care of yourself, get your rest and don't feel guilty about being taken care of - you've done a pretty incredible job of taking care of others yourself.  Keep us posted on both of your recovery progress.

Welcome to the club!  Much love and God bless you both.

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
This will be one of the greatest experiences of your life...
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »
Enjoy the rest time....and follow those doctors' instructions to the letter.

The stool softeners are your BEST FRIEND, and so is a good nap.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

APV

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the warm greetings.  You all make my heart smile.   :)

Kara--We did get our t-shirt for walking the 9-Long mile.  My husband and I decided to give our t-shirts to our mothers as a thank you for all their support. Our mothers were our rock.  They both walked with us every painful step (literally and figuratively), so they deserve it just as much.  We have lots of pictures and memories to last us a life time.

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 05:45:50 PM »
Kara--We did get our t-shirt for walking the 9-Long mile.  My husband and I decided to give our t-shirts to our mothers as a thank you for all their support. Our mothers were our rock.  They both walked with us every painful step (literally and figuratively), so they deserve it just as much.  We have lots of pictures and memories to last us a life time.

That's great! Glad you walked that mile. It felt like quite an accomplishment at the time, and I will never forget that. I will also never forget all of our caring nurses, doctors and aides at UCSF.

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »
Hello Angelica and congratulations to you and your Husband!

I am SO glad to hear that you are both doing so well. I too donated a kidney to my husband so I can very much relate. I remember how happy we both were once the surgery was over and we knew things went well. You two will always have this special bond. I know for me, the whole experience has really made me look at life a lot differently. It really was a reminder how precious life really is, and a great reminder to really cherish what is truly important, and not to "sweat the small stuff" as the saying goes.

I am so happy for you and your husband. Please continue to keep us posted as to how you are both doing!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional