| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney Donation no Gallbladder  (Read 9336 times)

Offline bout2k

• My first post!
Kidney Donation no Gallbladder
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »
My wife is being tested as a potential kidney donor for her sister. So far the tests have come back positive. Is it safe to donate if she has had her gallbladder removed? Thank you

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Kidney Donation no Gallbladder
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
should not be an issue unless removed due to cancer. Potential donors with a history of some types of cancer are excluded. Some donors have had previous surgeries to remove organs or tissue like tonsils, appendix, uterus (not related to cancer). It is also a good way to know how you reacted to anesthesia. During the initial contact the nurse should review past medical history. They usually look for things like high blood pressure, diabetes and cancer initially to determine eligibility to donate. There is a lot of information on this forum about the process so while waiting it is a good way to become educated.

Good luck on the transplant journey for you and your family.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Kidney Donation no Gallbladder
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
I had my gallbladder removed (with pancreatitis) about 2 years before I donated a kidney. Tell your wife the surgeries are very similar. It's been one year today, and health-wise, I am doing fine. Good luck to you guys.

-Annie

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved