| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating a Kidney with 2 arteries and 3 veins, what are the complications?  (Read 4711 times)

Offline T.I.

• My first post!
I have been notified that I am a match for a possible kidney donation, however one of my kidneys has a small cyst and the other has multiple veins and arteries. Should they choose to take the one with a small cyst, it is pretty much a straight forward donation and there shouldn't be a problem. If they do decide they want to take the one with multiple arteries and veins what are complications that need to be addressed? What are questions that I should be asking the transplant team? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mattd

• Top 200 Poster!
I donated 3 weeks ago to my dad, I had three arteries to both of my kidneys, multiple veins, and two ureters, they did not know about the ureters until they had me opened up.  I have had no complications or abnormal side effects, but this did complicate the surgery for the recipient, my dad was in surgery for 8 hours due to complications with the extra ureter, and the extra time it takes to combine multiple arteries and "plumb" them correctly.  I would say as a donor I wouldn't worry about complications, but it is technically more challenging for the doctors working on the kidney and the recipient.  Luckily the kidney I donated is doing excellent in my dad, at this point his kidney function is better than mine.  The main thing in your situation is that you are left with the strongest kidney, which one has the cyst, left or right?  The left kidney is the preferred one due to renal artery length and ease of doing the surgery laparoscopically, the right kidney often has to be removed by the open method.  Hope this helps.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved