| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Swollen legs (recipient)  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Swollen legs (recipient)
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:16:32 AM »
    My donation was about 21 months ago.  I remain in close touch with my recipient, who has been having increasing, significant mobility issues due to swollen legs.
    I suggested that he look into having his legs wrapped to aid re-absorption of fluid, but does anybody have any other ideas?
     Thanks in advance!
      Snoopy

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: Swollen legs (recipient)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »
Fluid can accumulate for a number of reasons but for a kidney patient fluid retention should be checked immediately. Do you know how his kidneys are functioning? Has he had labs done lately? It may just require diuretics, or it could be more serious.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:08:49 AM »
Hi, Karol.
  Thanks for the quick response.
  Overall, yes, he is being monitored, I know they've been watching his creatinine carefully, but, because of a partial language (well, accent) barrier, I'm having some trouble following all the medical details he is sharing with me in our phone calls.  I know that his spirits are very good, he's very optimistic, but I don't have a great handle on the specifics.
   However, because of your reminder about the possible gravity of his symptoms, I'll call him again and try to make sure he's getting them properly looked at.
      Be well,
      Snoopy

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »
snoopy,

As Karol said, fluid retention is a concern for kidney patients (and heart patients) and needs to be immediately evaluated by a physician so the proper medications can be prescribed. They usually will use diuretics like furosemide or known here as Lasix. In hebrew they call these drugs mishaten (from the word sheten, urine so the word connotes increased urination which is what it does).This can be done as an inpatient or outpatient depending on the patient's health condition and of course the particular health care system. I know you mentioned you have sort of a language/accent barrier with your recipient. There may also be cultural differences as well. Your recipient may very well be getting treatment but feel that he doesn't want to share the possibility poor health outcomes with you since he is sensitive to the fact that you provided the kidney for him and now it is not working as well as expected. In addition to his kidney disease, he may suffer from heart disease and have some heart failure so he may be building fluid up because of that. It must be very difficult for the recipient to share a negative outcome or setback with their recipient knowing that the donor is expecting a positive outcome and improvement in their recipient's life. Maybe they fear that the donor will be disappointed in them if they find out the kidney failed and blame the recipient. So he may be very vague about treatments and health issues.

Will keep you and your recipient in my thoughts and prayers. I remember you did say he had several health issues before the transplant so this may be a challenge. Hope he gets through and the kidney continues to function.

All the best,

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
Hi, Sherri.
  Thanks for the detailed information!
  I spoke to my recipient today, and he explained that the main problem is blood clots, for which he is being treated with Coumadin to thin the blood (and, yes, he said he knows that they have to monitor it very carefully).
   As I said, his spirits are very high, which is nice.  Talking to him (we still talk regularly) almost always cheers me up.
   In any case, I am grateful for your keeping him in your prayers.  I am more sure that he tells me everything he knows about his condition, than I am that he asks the doctors the sort of questions I would ask the doctors about his condition.  Based on what I saw when we were in the hospital together, there could be numerous medical details he doesn't ask, and isn't told, about. 
   One of the best parts of my non-directed donation was meeting and becoming very close with my recipient.  I've never heard him complain once, about anything.  In fact,  I can't remember ever finding him other than sunny and cheerful.  May he be blessed with a happy, healthy, long life!
     Be well, Snoopy

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:35:35 AM »
Dear Snoopy,

A postive outlook is a wonderful thing.  For sure we're better off when we follow the example of the cheerful!  I'm glad you have a special friendship with your kidney twin.

Love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved