| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Blood pressure influences  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Blood pressure influences
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »
    Given how important blood pressure readings often are to this group, I thought I'd pass along the following experience.
    While at my family doctor recently, he took my blood pressure, and the reading was sky-high.  We both looked at each other: this is not normal for me, and neither of us was thrilled.  But then I realized that, while he'd been taking my pressure, the two of us had been chatting.  I suggested he try it again, and I'd stay silent.  The second time, it was a lot better.  I then suggested that he do it a third time, and I'd be quiet and also stay still.  This time, it was pretty near normal.
    There's a lot of talk about "white coat hypertension".  That is not a factor in my case, but this variant was something that my doc had never seen. I was not so surprised, though, because years ago I participated in a brief study in which we were hooked up to a BP monitor that gave continuous readings. I noticed then that even small movements, such as just turning my head, could cause the level to spike.
  Folks concerned about their BP readings might try remaining silent and still.  Especially don't discuss politics during the BP test!
      Be well, Snoopy
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:34:09 AM by Snoopy »

Offline dave

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Blood pressure influences
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »
White coat hypertension is a real issue for some people.  This happens to my brother.  When he gets his BP checked in a doctor's office, it's almost always high.  When he checks it himself at home, it's fine.  His home blood pressure cuff has been calibrated and double-checked against the office's cuff.  Bizarre, but real.
Donated left kidney to Dad, June 20, 2013.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
Yes, I have to make sure my pretty wife is not walking by.   ;)

Offline Mooge

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:24:35 AM »
Other things that can influence BP - having a full bladder; not sitting up straight; food and/or caffeine just before the test....I had a bad scare the first time the nephrologist took my BP in his office but after buying a monitor and checking at home for a couple of weeks - I was pretty reassured. Hopefully it won't affect my donation.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:29:38 AM »

I have an electric at-home blood pressure tester (Omron, HEM-712C), although I don't use it as often as I intended. But their instructions to get a good reading:
--- avoid eating, drinking alcohol, smoking, exercising, and bathing for 30 minutes before taking the measurement.
--- rest at least 15 minutes before taking the measurement.
--- do it in a quiet place
--- remove tight-fitting clothing from the arm.
--- sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor. Rest your arm on the table so that the pressure-cuff is at the same level as your heart.
--- remain still and do not talk during measurement.
--- measure the blood pressure 3 times, waiting 2 or 3 minutes (at least) between measurements and record each result. (Some people may need a longer wait time between measurements.)
--- average out the three readings, and THAT is your reading.

So, looks like LOTS of things can throw off a particular reading.
     It's wise to check often and KEEP A RECORD. A doctor can learn a lot more from seeing a series of many readings over the previous months than from one in-office reading. Also, if you note that blood pressure is tending to get worse you may be able to adjust your diet/exercise customs a bit to stop trouble before it starts.
       best wishes,
          Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »
   Thanks to everyone who has made good suggestions in response to my original remark.  I would particularly second Fr. Pat's point about averaging three readings, rather than relying on only one.
   All this discussion reminds me of a recurrent problem I had during my quite long testing and approval process.  In my health plan (not the same one as the transplant center's), I'd typically need to take the center's test request to my family doc, who would issue a referral form, for my health plan, to take to my plan's central lab to do the test.  The catch was, my doc wasn't even in his office till 9:30 or 10, and the lab closed at 11 or 11:30, and was two neighborhoods over.  So, what used to happen was, I'd sit sweating in the doc's waiting room, hoping to be seen quickly so I'd make it to the lab in time.  After getting my referral forms from the doc, I'd run (somehow, always in the hot sun) across the two neighborhoods to the lab, and throw myself at the lab desk, begging them to process me while the lab was still open. (I admit, I was not necessarily above mentioning that i was trying to donate a kidney to some needy stranger).  Between my sprint, and the time pressure, by the time I reached the lab, I was dripping sweat and gasping for breath, with my pulse racing.  I can't imagine it did my BP readings or other labs a lot of good!
  Good luck, everybody, with your own BP and lab work! Snoopy  (P.S.--for my most recent labs, I decided to take a cab the short distance to the lab; I probably should have thought  of that before).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:01:41 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
10 months prior to donation, I went to an ENT doctor for a sinus infection.  My blood pressure reading was extremely high. I reported this to my primary care physician who referred me to a Nephrologist.  Not familiar with the Nephrologist, I made the appointment and the day of my visit, I was surprised to find the office actually in a dialysis center!
Already concerned about my own health and now the possibility of not being able to donate if called at this time, my anxiety went through the roof sitting in that waiting room. My BP was taken and it was quite high.  I asked the doctor to give me 10 minutes so that I can calm myself now being out of the waiting area. He returned twenty minutes later with prescription pad in tow. My BP was completely normal.

The nephrologist told me it was abnormal to have spikes like and gave me prescriptions for blood pressure/diuretic medications, I asked quite a few questions and his final response was "you are at risk and this is not negotiable"

I threw each one of those prescriptions right out of the window of my car while driving away!

Two weeks later my primary doctor alluded to the over the counter anti-histamines I had been taken, stating they could have well been the cause for the spikes in blood pressure.  Again, my blood pressure was normal again.

Donation is all about stepping out on faith. I'm really glad I did when it came to the false BP reads.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
   Yes, I'm glad I didn't throw in the towel when some bad labs led my center's medical director (a nephrologist) to suggest she close my file.  I think my bad results were due to various types of experimental artefact.  In any case, all my subsequent re-do's were perfect.  Overall, I'm a big fan of not giving up, and getting re-tested.
   On the other hand, though it should go without saying:  if I thought that I had a real problem with hypertension, kidney function, or something, I would have really strongly considered finding some other way to contribute.  I had no death wish, and have a large family to support.
  In fact, specifically about BP:  my wife and I had a discussion many times about temporary spikes.  I claimed (I think correctly) that (apart from having to sprint to the lab [see above]), much of the reason for some high-ish BPs was my quite significant stress over getting approved and being able to donate.  I kept saying that, if only I didn't worry so much, and face such a long, rigorous testing process, my BP would be normal.  And my wife countered that, if my BP goes up under stress, that's a true fact about my body, and should not be explained away.  What if I have, say, job stress down the road, and suffer hypertension?  As much as I really didn't want to admit it during the testing process, she did have a point.
  In any event, my BP thankfully behaved itself (believe me, I had quite a few "friendly chats" with my BP  :))), and I am extremely happy I was fortunate enough to donate.
   But for somebody who really may have a significant problem, with BP, kidney function, or whatever....As I kept reminding myself:  I really want to donate, but I'm not excited about taking my (non-directed) recipient's place in dialysis.  If something really is wrong, remember that you tried, and there are plenty of ways to help people without endangering your own health.
   Stay healthy!
   Snoopy 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved