| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Risk of Kidney Disease Doubled With Use of Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Risk of Kidney Disease Doubled With Use of Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics
June 3, 2013 — The risk of acute kidney disease is doubled for people taking oral fluoroquinolone antibiotics, according to a study of published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal).

Fluoroquinolones, including ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin and moxifloxacin, are common broad-spectrum antibiotics most often used to treat respiratory and urogenital infections. Case reports have indicated acute kidney injury with use, and prescription labels carry a warning of kidney failure. However, when oral fluoroquinolones are prescribed in clinical practice, kidney injury is usually not considered.
Researchers from the US and Canada undertook a study to determine the risk of acute kidney injury with the use of oral fluoroquinolones for adult men 40󈟁 years old enrolled in the US LifeLink Health Plan Claims Database between 2001 and 2011. There were 1292 cases of acute kidney disease and 12 651 controls in the study. Researchers excluded people who had a history of chronic kidney disease or dialysis because they can increase the risk of acute injury. They found that current use of oral fluoroquinolones increased the risk of acute kidney injury; the risk was highest with ciprofloxacin, followed by moxifloxacin. Past use did not increase the risk nor did the use of amoxicillin or azithromycin. They also found that concurrent use of an oral fluoroquinolone and a renin-angiotensin-system blocker, a popular class of cardiovascular medication, increases the risk of acute renal failure by 4.5 fold.
"We found a twofold increased risk of acute kidney injury requiring hospital admission with the use of fluoroquinolone antibiotics among adult men, using 2 analytic techniques," writes Dr. Mahyar Etminan, of the Child & Family Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, University of British Columbia, and the Provincial Health Services Authority, with coauthors.
"The twofold differential in risk in current users suggests that acute kidney injury secondary to fluoroquinolone use is an acute adverse event."
The authors suggest that physicians need to be aware of the risks of kidney injury when prescribing these drugs. "Although it is clear that the risk of death due to serious infections outweighs the risks associated with the use of fluoroquinolones, the potential for acute kidney injury raises the importance of vigilant prescribing," they conclude.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130603135311.htm
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Risk of Kidney Disease Doubled With Use of Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »
My recent medication resistant infection was most successfully finally eradicated by cipro- and levofloxicin. My status as a donor and my advanced directive to receive no nephrotoxic medication were both explicitly considered by the team treating me. While nephrotoxicity is listed as a potential side effect of these meds, I was reassured, and persuaded, that the 10% rate in this study, and the lower percent in the trials that led up to approval of these meds, is almost certainly and completely the result of the infections being treated, not the meds. Their chemical action is not toxic to nephrons or their vascular support, so the mechanism by which they might be implicated as nephrotoxic is otherwise not explained.

If you are prescribed one of these meds, get the full explanation of why, and get your provider's take on the risk to your remaining kidney. As I've said elsewhere, I was treated rapidly, in depth, and effectively, not least because the professionals were aware of the stakes for me and my lone right kidney. Best wishes, all.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved