| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Medic Alert Bracelets?  (Read 14275 times)

Offline leftover

• Conversationalist
Medic Alert Bracelets?
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:15:51 PM »
I am just shy of two months since donating a kidney to my Mother.  I have been encouraged by my fiance and other family to where a medic alert bracelet.  I have considered it but I am curious what others have had put on them?  Is One Kidney-Right ok or should I put Donated Left Kidney?  I am sure either would work, but I want to make sure that any medical staff that should see it understand.  Any advice?

Has anyone else post transplant experienced temperature intolerance?  I used to love cold temps, now I can barely stand 70 degrees and almost prefer to study outside in this heat wave.

I am a new poster but have been reading everyone's encouragement, advice and suggestions to others and I can't thank this community enough.  You guys are the best.

Left over

Offline flacapt

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Medic Alert Bracelets?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
Left over
Congrats on your successful donation. YOU are a HERO!!..
My wife and I decided on an emblem for my chain and on it we inscribed "Left Kidney Donor" .
God Bless you and your MOM
Marc
Donor 10/12 B-N-Law Mayo Clininc, Jax, Fl.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
     Yes, the National Kidney Foundation suggests that anyone with only one kidney (whether because of donation or because of removal of a diseased kidney) wear some sort of alert bracelet or medal. Especially important if one is taken unconscious to a hospital in an emergency, without a close relative present. Some of the contrast dyes that might be injected in order to scan for blockages in the blood vessels of brain or heart can be toxic to the kidneys, and dosage has to be adjusted for persons with one kidney. Also, remind your family to make sure the hospital knows.
     I myself think that "left kidney donated" might be the clearest. It lets the staff know that the kidney is missing, but not because of disease. "donor" might be misinterpreted as willingness TO donate?
     The National Kidney Foundation offers bracelets/medals and you can put a couple of lines of information of your choice. I included the phone contact of the person authorized in my "living will" to make medical decisions for me if I am unable. I also included my religion, as some hospitals consider it illegal to notify a chaplain unless the patient has chosen to reveal his/her religious denomination. I tossed  in my blood type just in case. Some local chapters of the Kidney Foundation offer these for free, while other chapters charge a small fee. Find your local chapter at www.kidney.org
     There is a previous thread on this topic that perhaps someone can find and "bounce" up, where others have shared their choices of different sorts of alerts. But it IS prudent to wear some sort of alert.
       best wishes,
           Fr. Pat

Offline leftover

• Conversationalist
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
Thank you all for the responses, I was unable to find another post about this but I do apologize if it was a repeat.

Offline loustar

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
Hi leftover.  I don't necessarily have temperature intolerance the way you described above, but I will say that I have a hard time regulating my own temperature.  I flip flop from feeling hot and cold a lot, especially at night when trying to sleep.

I donated just over three weeks ago, and I have felt this way since coming out of surgery.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved