| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Roller Coaster Donation Story - Not sure how to cope  (Read 9453 times)

Offline Porcelina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Roller Coaster Donation Story - Not sure how to cope
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
I donated my kidney to a friend 4.5 years ago. She has Lupus Nephritis and at a young age I saw her go through a ton of hospitalizations. When it came time to donate it wasn't even a question for me not to try. She has no siblings and is estranged from her father and his family. Turns out I was a match and was flying back and forth from Seattle to Chicago for the tests.

My friend doesn't really take care of herself very well. I'm not sure if its just because she doesn't want to think about her diet, or if she's been coddled her whole life by her family, or if she just doesn't care. But leading up to the transplant she constantly ate take out and junk food, never paying too close attention to her potassium or anything.

Transplant day came and went. I felt miserable for awhile but was able to go back to work after 3 weeks. Went for my follow ups and had no problems. My end of it went pretty well. And so did hers-- her Lupus went into remission. She was free of the Lupus symptoms but she had pinched nerves in her feet (a result of a bad call by a doctor giving her an MRI when she had had a stroke) and it was difficult for her to try an exercise or being active at all. Even though I recommended swimming and lots of other non-feet related activities she still never got on it.

Then she got engaged and asked me to be her maid of honor. The night of wedding rehearsal, she said her leg was hurting a lot and was scared about it hurting during the wedding. Her now mother-in-law offered her prescription muscle relaxers. Without consulting anyone else about it, she took them. Later that night she collapsed and couldn't feel her legs at all. She went to the ER the night before her wedding. It turns out she had an extreme potassium deficiency and combined with the muscle relaxers it caused all of that to happen.

It was not looking good for an on time hospital release so we moved the wedding to the hospital chapel and a conference room. The local news did a story on it: http://www.wsmv.com/story/19082267/fairy-tale-wedding-becomes-reality-for-hospital-patient

She promised me she'd try better with her health after that.

Then she didn't really talk to me that much anymore.

Then she accidentally (read: wasn't on birth control also decided that condoms weren't necessary) got pregnant. She also didn't find out until she had completed her first trimester. So she's 11 weeks pregnant, is on government assistance, doesn't walk much, her husband doesn't make much money, they live with her parents, and she spends her days on Facebook and playing video games. Doesn't read books, and in fact, admitted to me recently that she felt like she was getting dumber and then said books were too expensive… as she shows me her new iPhone 5!

Okay, sorry. You might see where my frustration comes from. Maybe you don't. I don't know.

Well. She lost the baby at 25 weeks. She apparently was born without a certain muscle band under her uterus that was supposed to help support the growing baby. She went into early labor and lost him.

She called me once to talk about it and then didn't call me again. I didn't want to pry since this was a difficult time for her so I texted her occasionally with little response back.

It's been about 7 months since we've actually talked on the phone. Before the baby I had expressed to her that I wish she could try harder with strengthening her mind if not her body.

She sent me a letter recently telling me that my kidney is now being rejected due to the pregnancy.

I don't even know how to feel right now. With all of these ups and downs, she became upset at me the last time we spoke because I had  questioned her unhealthy lifestyle possibly affecting the baby's health. And now this pregnancy has caused her body to reject my kidney. She's going to some anti-rejection treatments but so far none of them are working.

She's back to square one, now with my kidney at risk. I hate to say it, but I almost feel regretful. I had hoped that her having a new kidney would inspire her to seize the day and if she couldn't be physically active I had hoped she'd ditch the video games and lead a positive active lifestyle in other ways. I thought she'd try to eat better. She still doesn't.

Anyone have any advice on how to cope? Please don't just say "i'm sorry." and nothing else. I already get that from everyone else, but I'm looking to YOU, fellow kidney donors, to put yourself in my shoes and shed some light on this.

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Roller Coaster Donation Story - Not sure how to cope
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
It is hard to change another person's habits, goals, and lifestyle unless they want to change and want your help to change.  At least that is my opinion and experience.  It is too bad that you gave your gift to someone who did not take care of it.   I think that you have understandable anger but you cannot change the fact that you've donated and are 1 kidney less.  I think I would do a couple of things 1) express to my recipient my expectation that they have an obligation to care for their health and kidney - no exception or excuse, rejection can sometimes be overcome by diet and drugs.   Use the fancy smartphone to track the diet and exercise, check in with a support group or you if they have to.  2) you should focus on your mental health and work, 3) if you have the time, volunteer to assist advise, etc in a kidney donor/recipient program if one exists in your community.

I suggest the third one because you've donated, learned of the need and the life it can bring, but have been cheated of the joy by someone who either did not appreciate it or was not really wise enough to realize her obligation to maintain her health.

Focus the anger, hurt, and loss to something positive for you.

Good luck, really.
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »
Dear Porcelina,

It is sad to hear that your recipient is suffering and is not ready to take care of her health.  This in no way makes your generous gift less special.  You have done a wonderful thing.

It is a good thing you are expressing your frustration, because once you recognize a problem you have already started to deal with it.  And you do need to deal with it -  there is no reason to let your recipient's poor choices hurt both of you.  I agree with Oldnslow that focusing your energy on your own well-being is important.  If I had to deal with such a difficult situation, I'd seek counseling from a skilled person who was not personally involved. 

Love, elephant

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:08:49 AM »
Dear Porcelina,
I feel your pain.  I agree with the previous post that it might be good to seek professional counseling.  I am 4 months post donation.  My recipient just went through a rejection episode.  I drove 6+ hours to be with her and spent 5 days at my own expense.  I found out that somehow her insurance company had messed up and sent thousands of dollars to her rather than the medical providers.  She cashed the checks and blew the funds.  I'm devastated, I don't know how to feel.  I am calling my social worker today to see if I can get counseling.  I don't know how I can advocate for living donation when I feel so betrayed.  Maybe we need to form our own support group.  If it's possible I think my kidney might be rejecting her on principle.  I'll hope for the best for both of us and all who are disappointed with their recipients behavior.
 :-[

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »
Porcelina,

I think you describe what is probably the most difficult complex of emotions and response to donation that a donor must go through.  I feel like all of us could tell you something based on our own experiences but would fall woefully short in justifying how we think you should feel.  I think that you are absolutely justified in the feelings that you have expressed.  My thought is that you made an incredible and selfless gesture and gave a person your kidney so that they may live their life.  At that point it became their kidney to do with what they wanted.  Thats the gift you gave them.  Although its hard, at that point it stopped being yours.  As a human she has made mistakes and bad choices, perhaps costing her a child, not only a kidney.  This is a tragic story.

To be honest I do not know the person that received my kidney and what she is doing with it.  I never heard from her.  I used to think that was a bad thing, but  I do not have to witness what you have recently.  Maybe Im lucky.  Ive thought a lot about this since my donation. 

I cant help but think back to something my mother used to tell me about loaning friends and family money.  I had donated money to a friend in desperate need to pay some bills.  The next week they showed me the new shoes they bought and talked about going out to dinner at this great restaurant.  I was furious because this money was not for those purposes.  They couldnt understand why I was judging them and micromanaging their life.  My mother said that if you make the loan you cant expect anything in return or ever to be repaid.  Help for the sake of helping.  It is something I have lived by.  I dont loan money unless I can accept the loss.  I guess I think about the kidney I donated the same way.  I hope that they do incredible things and make the most of every second they have, but I have no idea what they are doing or how long the kidney will last.

We all take a great risk when we make a donation, we bet on life and humanity and want the best.  Unfortunately, it doesnt always work that way.  You are an incredible for providing her the option to live her life no matter how long or short it is.

You gave her a choice. 

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
What a challenge. Best wishes. I'm constantly grateful that my recipient so scrupulously cares for herself, and my gift to her. She finds accepting my gratitude for this difficult. If you can bring yourself to stay engaged with your recipient, there are many different possible avenues of treatment and counseling, and your unique relationship may enable her to stay engaged with you, and whatever program shows promise as being effective for her. Personally, for my own health, several triggering incidents brought me to combination I currently rely on: Professional nutritional counseling, goals based on blood chemistry and valid measures such as waist/hip ratio, The Hacker's Diet, and the Beeminder app. Vegetarianism and lone kidney status is a complication for my high protein-low carb diet, and I have to focus on being properly hydrated for my daily weight work at the gym. None of this was an overnight success, and all the pieces have come together over decades. Sustainable change is hard, but rewarding, eventually. Again, best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »
I don't know if this will help but here goes.

My recipient followed all the instructions, ate right, took his meds.  He called me on a regular basis and always ended the conversation by saying "I can never thank you enough for what you did". 

He developed non-Hodgkins lymphoma at almost the 3-year mark and was gone in a matter of weeks after being diagnosed.  So there are no guarantees that even if your recipient was 100% compliant that she would be more healthy.  I recommend you just back away from the entire situation and take care of yourself.  I think the suggestion to volunteer as a donor advocate or buddy is an excellent one. 

Best wishes and stay strong.
audrey

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 11:52:39 PM »
Porcelina
This group has been my support group as well. I live with my recipient and have seen how he has deteriorated first hand. He hasn't exercised or followed his diet very well either. He is no longer working due to the side effects of the surgery. I did donate with an open hand with no expectations at all in return but his lack of motivation has been quite a challenge for the entire family. We are to the point of selling our house and would probably qualify for assistance due to my low salary (after looking for 2 yrs post donation.)
So, yes it can be quite stressful and maddening when things don't work out. I would also advise you to stay focused on your health and finding a happy outlet that will renew your soul, if only for a few minutes. I'm still working on it......

Offline Porcelina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »
Everyone-

Thank you so, so SO much for your thoughtful responses. It has truly helped and I'm so glad I posted this. I've told many of my friends about this dilemma but frankly, none of them understand because none of them have ever been in this situation. While I am still figuring out how to move forward with this, I have started looking for professional help. In the mean time I have taken more time for myself and finding some inner peace to all of this.

You are all right that I cannot make her do anything, and that I provided her a choice. Maybe her choices were not what I wanted, but I have to accept that it is what it is.

I think the fact that she over promised a lot is what hurt the most. She had assured me more than once that she was going to put her health and wellness a priority but because she never did, it really hurt more when these things all happened.

I recently took a Myer-Briggs personality test and found out that I'm an INFJ personality type, which is apparently very rare (but I have a feeling a number of kidney donors are this type too). It also supposedly means that I have a natural desire to want to give and fix abstract things that are broken. I know it's just a silly test, but reading about my personality type has allowed me to be more introspective. I've always been one of those people who gets very fixated on worldly problems with difficult complex answers (like social injustice, world hunger, etc.) but for some reason I could never get myself to volunteer for good causes (except that I work with animal rescue groups and foster dogs and cats occasionally) but I decided to find some local causes to volunteer for so I can still feel good about helping but not necessarily look for anything in return. My hope is that this will help me cope with the issues I have with my recipient.

Again, thank you all for your replies! I do feel better, but I'm probably a long way from full acceptance. The support here has been very helpful!

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
Hi Porcelina,

Not a silly test at all.  The Meyers Briggs helped me to better understand my tendencies and habits and better understand others as well.  Its a wonderful thing to gain insight into yourself.

I am an ENFP.

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »
Porcelina,
My recipient is doing the same damn thing. She started smoking again shortly after the transplant, doesn't eat right, doesn't exercise... It hurts to see her but I know I can't say anything. It breaks my heart and makes me so f-ing mad.

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »
Porcelina,
I'm very glad I checked this page today and saw your post. I wish I'd seen it sooner. I very much understand what you're feeling. It's a longish story, so bear with me.

I donated a kidney about a year and a half ago. My coworker needed one, and I could not understand why his mother didn't even offer to be tested. At the same time, I decided that if I was going to go through with it, I wanted to help as many people as possible, so I asked to be part of a chain that included my coworker. I also decided that I didn't want people to know about the whole thing, and asked that the coworker tell people at work that his donor was anonymous. Which was basically true, as he was getting a stranger's kidney. I told my immediate family, my boss, 3 close  friends and a coworker/friend, leaving almost everyone I know in the dark. It sounds strange, but I didn't want to change their opinion of me and I didn't want to worry them.

The surgery went well for everyone. I didn't want to meet my recipient at first. Then I thought about being in her position, and wanting to be able to thank the person that helped me. I decided it was mean to say no. I met her, and it was a very nice encounter. It turned out that she'd been on the list for a long time, and all of her family and many friends were tested, but she was a very difficult match. I was a perfect match to her. Then she friended me on Facebook, which was awkward. I thought it was mean to reject her, so I accepted, explaining to her that I didn't want people to know that I'd donated. Then I began reading her posts. She ranted on and on that it is people's own fault that they are poor, that the government shouldn't help people, charities shouldn't help people, people should help themselves. She said she had worked hard for everything she had, and she resented the idea that other people should get any of it. It really, really bothered me. I started thinking that if I felt the way she did, she would be on dialysis still. I realized at the same time that I was being a little sensitive and crazy, because people are entitled to their beliefs, but the selfishness of it all disturbed me. I eventually unfriended her, because I realized it was unhealthy for me to be reading her posts. I had given her my address when we met, because she said she wanted to be able to check up on me and make sure I was ok and to tell me that she was, too, so I felt if she needed to contact me, she could do it that way. Then I tried to focus on the other people who had been helped- the rest of the chain, and my recipient's family. After some time, I felt a little better about it.

A few weeks before the one year anniversary of the surgery, I got a voicemail from my coworker. It was a Saturday, and my cousin from out of town was with me when he called. I was having a party that night so she could meet some of my friends. She knew about the surgery, but none of my guests did. My coworker sounded weird in the voicemail, and asked me to call him back as soon as I could. When I did, he told me he was in the hospital. I was concerned and also confused, because he'd told me he was doing very well and feeling great. I asked what was wrong, and he told me that he'd overdosed on crystal meth. He'd been doing it since shortly after the surgery, he said. I'd known that years ago, he'd been addicted to it, but he told me he'd been sober for many years. Part of me wonders if he was doing it the whole time and just lying. He was crying on the phone, and I think he wanted me to tell him it was ok, and that I forgave him. I told him I hoped he got some help and got better, or something like that. I had no idea what to say to him. I was shocked, and I had a bunch of people on their way to my house.

I didn't tell anyone what happened. The very few people I'd told about the surgery were so happy about the whole thing, and I was struggling so much with what he'd told me. I didn't want the people that knew about the surgery to think badly about organ donation. I was so angry and I didn't want to admit how devastated I was at the whole situation, even to myself. So I tried not to think about it. The coworker called me a day or two after the first call, all cheerful in his voicemail, telling me that he was feeling better and asking me to call him back. I didn't. We had a few awkward encounters at work, where we said hello and that was it. He never mentioned what he'd told me at all. He basically acted like it didn't happen, except for how awkwardly he acted around me.

I had the one year followup appointment a few months later, due to scheduling problems for the hospital. I told the social worker what happened. She was actually very helpful. She told me that I had a right to be angry and hurt. She understood why I didn't want to talk to friends or family about it. She asked how I felt about the whole experience now. I said I felt used, and that I felt like the stupidest idiot in the whole world. She said the hospital had no clue, either, and that if doctors could be fooled, I shouldn't feel stupid. She said that when an organ donation experience isn't completely positive, she tells the donor to remember the other people in the situation. For me, that would be the unknowns on the chain, and all of their families and friends. She said that I did a great thing for a very good reason, but that I had given a gift, and it wasn't my responsibility to see that the recipient cared for it properly. She said he knows that what he did is wrong. She found it interesting that he told me at all. She said my opinion must be important to him, for some reason. Then she asked me what I wanted to do about it. Did I want to call him, or meet with him and tell him how he had made me feel? She said maybe after some time had passed, I could write him a letter, but that I had to remember- he could respond any way he decided- or not respond at all. How would his response make me feel? She told me that I didn't owe him forgiveness, acceptance, friendship or advice. If I wanted no contact with him after this, that is perfectly acceptable.  She told me to think these things through, and that I could come back to talk to her, or she could recommend someone else for me to talk to, if I wanted.

It's been a few months since I met with the social worker. This still bothers me, but I do feel a lot better about it all. Here's my advice to you: the other people that have said this to you (and my social worker to me) are right- we have no right to tell the recipients how to live their lives. Deep down, they know what they did/ are doing is unhealthy. You have said this to her. You can tell her now how her choices have affected you, but I ask you- what will that accomplish? If it will make you feel better, then you should do it- but with the realization that you have no control of her response. She might cut off all contact with you. Are you ok with that? Maybe it's time to consider if you want to have further contact with her. Right now it sounds that your interactions with her are unhealthy for you. Try to remember that you did a great thing. Try to remember the other people that were helped because of this great thing you did. Her family was given more time with her and got to experience (for a time) life without watching her suffer. Also remember that YOUR health is important- including your mental health. If you still feel bitter or upset about this, or need help deciding how you want to handle it, contact the social workers at the hospital, and they can recommend someone or talk to you themselves. It's great that you reached out on this board. You can of course contact me if you'd like to talk.

You're not alone in feeling conflicted about your experience. I hope we can both find peace and move on in a positive way and not let this change us. Your idea of helping with local charities is a good one. I should probably look into it myself.

Love,
Kidney Bean

P.S. I'm an ENFJ. You might be right about us donors having the same or close to the same types!

Offline Porcelina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 09:11:01 PM »
Kidney Bean-

Thank you so much for sharing that story on the forum. Your experience is quite interesting in that you wanted to retain anonymity and distance, yet your recipient shared his follies with you.

My recipient has since tried to patch things up with me by sending me presents anonymously in the mail. I should probably be more appreciative of it but honestly I just want to return them. The thing is, she isn't putting her name on a note in the box, it just arrives with no warning and no indication of who sent it, but when I put the question out on Facebook, she responds and says its from her. It's almost as if she's trying to get me to pose the question on Facebook each time so she can chime in and look like a good friend on the internet. She still hasn't called me to talk things out, she has sent me a couple text messages and I've been ignoring her. I know that's probably not the best route to take with this but I'm just at a point where I cannot put any more emotional energy towards the situation anymore.

It was distracting me from a lot of other things in my life and I just had to stop giving the issue the time of day. Her and I do not even have anything in common anymore because when we met we were so young and we grew apart so much. I worked 3 jobs to support myself during college and now I'm a professional scientist and work for a fairly prestigious organization. She is the same exact person as she was 10 years ago playing video games, watching reality TV, and never moving a muscle from the couch unless its to pick up the iPad and play Farmville. Like you, Kidney Bean, I see her posting on Facebook about really inane things or about immensely different political/social standpoints (I'm like you, and do not agree with such radically conservative views) or about deeply religious things that I also do not believe in. And like you, its not that I do not respect other people's beliefs, it is just better to turn a blind eye instead of spoiling the relationship further.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for that reply. This forum has really helped me accept the circumstances and move on.

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »
You're welcome! Thanks for the original post. On here sometimes it seems every donor has such a positive experience. It was good to hear how someone else is dealing with a less positive situation. I hope it gets easier for us both.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
This is a tough, tough issue.  My recipient is my husband and I struggled a lot at first with wanting to micromanage how he eats and manages his health, etc (more than the average wife!   :P).  I had to let go of that and accept that once I gave him my kidney, the rest was up to him and I had no control over it.  He is not terrible about it, but he's not the best at eating healthy, etc-he could do better. But truth be told, so could I!  So I have been able to let that go.

The only thing I feel free to nag about is his medication.  He would never purposefully not take his meds, but he is forgetful and I take it upon myself to make sure his meds are available and remind him to take them.   

In your case, I think I would not see this friend anymore, after letting her know how disappointed I was.  Sounds like too much to take.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional