| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Minneapolis Woman Donates Kidney to Save Friend  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Minneapolis Woman Donates Kidney to Save Friend
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:17:14 AM »
Minneapolis Woman Donates Kidney to Save Friend
Michelle Barnes suffered kidney failure

Updated: Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 11:26 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 9:31 PM CDT
by Scott Wasserman / FOX 9 News

MINNEAPOLIS - A Minneapolis woman made the decision of a lifetime when she donated one of her kidneys to save a friend’s life, and she and the recipient shared their story with FOX 9 News.
When Michelle Barnes found out who was giving her the gift of life, she said it blew her away. Now, Barnes is calling her friend a hero.
Keeping up with a 6-year-old daughter and 3-year-old twin boys takes a lot of energy, but daily fatigue due to kidney disease made that difficult.
“I shouldn’t have to be just existing and trying to get by,” Barnes said. “That’s not living.”
Then, Barnes went into kidney failure one year ago. Without a transplant, she would eventually die and the private woman who always did things herself now had to ask for help by posting about her situation on CaringBridge.
That’s where Brenda Lockwood came into the play. After seeing her friend of 15 years struggle just to keep up, she went to get tested without Barnes knowing to see if she was a match.
“In my mind, it was a no-brainer,” Lockwood explained. “For me, it’s a way of saying ‘yes’ to life, as cheesy as that might sound.”
Two weeks ago, Lockwood -- a perfect match -- gave her kidney to Barnes.
“There’s no way to quantify how big of a gift this is because it’s not just a gift to me, it’s a gift to everyone in my life that cares about me,” said Barnes.
Now, Barnes said she couldn’t be happier and is getting her energy back, knowing her life will go on thanks to her friend.
“I wouldn’t be here. I wouldn’t be sitting in this chair. I wouldn’t be able to have these opportunities in my life I now have,” she said.
A benefit has been set for Aug. 4 to help pay for the medical costs associated with the transplant that will take place in Edina at Pinstripes between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Online Information:
Michelle Barnes on CaringBridge http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/michellebarnes1

VIDEO at link below
Read more: Minneapolis Woman Donates Kidney to Save Friend http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/health/minneapolis-woman-donates-kidney-to-save-friend-jun-23-2011#ixzz1QARqeVhO
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional