| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just got my 1-yr lab results  (Read 8924 times)

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
Just got my 1-yr lab results
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »
Hi all,

Just got my one year lab results yesterday. My creatinine is 1.06, cholesterol is a bit elevated but totally my fault (miserable NY winter lead to eating too much comfort food and bronchitis has kept me off of the treadmill) and easily correctable. Vitamin D was low and I will be taking 50,000 units of D 1x wk for the next few months. No protein in my urine. BP of 120/70 - a little high for me - usually 114/70 but no big deal. I was just wondering how others were doing at the 1 year mark. Particularly interested in the creatinine and how age factors in. I am 46 years old. Guess I was expecting a somewhat better result although my GP and the transplant center were very happy.

Donated to my sister Tina on 1/15/10

Laura

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Just got my 1-yr lab results
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
Hi Laura,

Congratulations on the one year!

I had my 3 year follow up. It is the first one outside of Hopkins since they only follow for 2 years. My creatinine was 1.0 where it has been since post donation. Only now since I am 3 years older (47) my GFR comes out to 59. It is hard for me to see the lab results of <60 even though I know it is normal for me as a donor. No protein or other abnormalities.

My vitamin D level was good. I do take a calcium with vit D (viactiv chewable) everyday, multi vitamin and fish oil. I have been doing this for years. My issue now is that my blood pressure is up. I have been monitoring it and it ranges btw 130-140 / 80 where I used to be 115-120 person. I have gained a little weight back but started exercising more to try and take some off. I am now 5 lbs more than what I was when I was evaluated for donation. I do have "white coat syndrome" and was warned by my own nephrologist that I would most likely develop high blood pressure. I was just hoping it would be later rather than sooner. Obviously, I have family history of high blood pressure, kidney disease and also all my maternal aunts and uncles have/had diabetes.

My PCP has given me 6 months to try and lose some weight and see if my BP comes down. I know I will most likely have to take medication but have a hard time accepting that. I am trying garlic pills, cinnamon anything I can to see if it helps.

Glad to hear that you are well after the one year. Keep up the good work. Good luck with the exercise. Always a battle!

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
Thanks Sherri,

I was expecting my creatinine to be much lower at this point but I suppose I shouldn't be disappointed if my doctor is okay with it. 

The weight issue is not easy. I too am 5 pounds heavier than I was a year ago. I have found that a combination of weight lifting and cardio really helps me to lose weight when I need to. I just use hand weights - 10-15 pounds at the most. Doesn't hurt that the weight bearing exercise is good for our bones.

Sorry to hear about the BP. I've read that hibiscus tea, like Red Zinger, can help to naturally lower blood pressure, although I can't say I know anyone who has tried that method. Crossing my fingers for you that you will be able to bring it down naturally.

Great news - my sister is now officially activated on the pancreas transplant list. She has been told to expect a call within a few weeks to a few months. There is a much lower demand for a pancreas than there is for a kidney thank goodness. Always great to hear from you Sherri!

Best,
Laura

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:57:23 AM »
Congratulations to your sister, Laura, and hope she has a short wait for the pancreas!
My creatinine kind of bounced around, then settled out. At 4 months out it was 1.1. At 1 year it was up to 1.2 - kind of concerned me that it went up instead of down. Then at two years it dropped to 1.0. I am getting my 3 year one (yes, I know Mom- I am running behind!) next week so I am anxious to see if it holds steady. No protein in the urine for any of the times.

What has been nice is that I keep the reports all together. That way I can track the results over time of creatinine, BUN, etc. I am 54 now and know age plays a role in a lot of numbers, but hoping that 1.0 will continue to be the norm for me.

Hope you are doing well and over the bronchitis. Lots of stuff going around this time of year.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »
Congratulations on your one year anniversary Laura!

My Creatinine was 1.1 and my GFR was 58 when I had it checked last October for my one year. (I am age 40). This is pretty much where it has been and stayed since I donated my kidney  just over 16 months ago. My doctor was happy with the results. The <60 GFR is always somewhat of a concern for me, but I have a better understanding of it now after a scare last March.
I had gone to my gynocologist for my yearly check up in early March 2010 and they routinely do bloodwork. A couple of days later, I got a call from the nurse. She was very concerned and said the doctor was refering me to a nephrologist due to my test results as my kidney results were a lot worse than the year before. This was 5 months post donation. My creatinine was 1.16 and BUN was 19 which she said gave me a GFR of 52. I told her I had just donated a kidney 5 months prior so I expected my results to be a lot different than the previous year. Somehow, they had overlooked the donation, even though I told them about it when I was there and this info should have been in my medical charts. I gave them the number to my coordinator in Madison (where I donated) who then contacted me. She said they were not concerned with the results but had me come back down anyway for a checkup. I went down March 30, 2010. That day my creatinine came back at 1.2. Madison was still not concerned. I also had not had anything to eat or drink since the night before this blood test. Madison did a great job of explaining the GFR, how mine was different due to donation, etc. I must say I felt a lot better mentally when I left there that day, as my doctors office initially scared the heck out of me. By my one year last October, it was 1.1, so I am guessing this is my new "normal". I too have always had low blood pressure. My new "normal" for that seems to be right around 110/65 - which is a little higher than it used to be. Also no protein for me either.
Thanks for updating us. I know I really like to hear how others are doing.
Best of luck to your sister with her new pancreas - I am hoping her wait will be very short.

Linda
Donated left kidney to husband October 8, 2009 at UW Madison
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:30:27 PM by Aries7 »
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »
Dear Ladies,

I am much relieved after hearing from you all. I was doing some early Spring cleaning this weekend and found some notes I made the first time I sat down with my surgeon. I was happy to read that he mentioned that my new normal would probably be 1.1. I had forgotten about that.  Many thanks and I will post any info about the pancreas transplant as things come up.

Best,
Laura

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »
I think unfortunately as women over 40 (gasp) I am even over 50 now (double gasp) it becomes very difficult to lose those few extra pounds we all put on - we are waging a war with our declining estrogen - which also protects our hearts.  So we as donors need to be extra careful. I am trying so hard to be good about exercising - but finding time isnt always easy.  I just found out that my feretin absorbtion was low - so now I am on iron pills, to prove the theory - its always something. 
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved