| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Another 5-year report - YEAH!  (Read 4660 times)

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
Another 5-year report - YEAH!
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
Oldnslow's report prompted me to report as well.

It is now 5 years & 2 weeks since Edel, recipient of my non-directed donation, received her (then) new-used kidney.  We did our semi-annual get together last weekend.

She and her kidney (and her anti-rejection meds) had a somewhat rocky road in the first 2 years, with her serum creatinine slowly increasing to 3.5, and they placed her back on the "needing transplant" list.   The docs decided that the problem was that the anti-rejection meds may have been too strong, lowered them -- and she and her kidney got along much better.  They took her off the transplant list.  Her creatinine came down to the high 2s quickly, and has continued to decrease -- now 2.0.  She pays close attention to her health, her diet, her exercise -- and talks to her kidney frequently.  (I suspect that I, even though a doc, would also talk to my new-used kidney if I were a transplant recipient!  ;) )

Edel has been working for more than 2 years -- and, more importantly, has been an active Mom for her high school son, not a tired and tied-to-dialysis Mom.  He is doing great, will graduate in the spring, go to a state University in the fall!  DOUBLE YEAH!   ;D  And, as well, she and her husband, and her own Mom and Dad from the Philippines, are all doing well.

Just as I am cheered by her health, she is cheered by my and our (Carolyn, my wife), continued good health.  Both of us are oldernslower, but "so what else is new"!

Donating a live non-directed kidney was highly satisfying, even if I would never know who the recipient was or even if the outcome was not as satisfying.  But every time Edel and her family and we (Csrolyn & I) get together, it is suoersatisfying.  My new hope is that Edel's now "adolescent" kidney (counted in transplanted kidney-years, like "dog years") lasts another five years, so that she will continue as an active Mom for her college son and of course for her family as well.
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Another 5-year report - YEAH!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
Lots of anniversaries! Congratulations to both you both!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
Bill,

So good to hear from our "LDO doc". How beautiful that you and Carolyn and Edel all share a special bond together. I like that she talks to her kidney; I talk to mine, as well as many other body parts that I feel need encouragement!

Thank you for all the knowledge you disseminate here on this board and for all your support.

Happy and healthy new year season to you and yours!

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
Happy 5th!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:44:03 AM »
More good news!  Many years of health and happiness to you, Carolyn, and Edel.

Love, elephant

Offline Mooge

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
Great news, Bill!
My recipient tells me she talks to her kidney all the time!

Mooge

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
Dear Bill,
      As one "Super-Adult" to another ("senior citizen" is being eliminated from the vocabulary), "Happy Kidneyversary!"
                   Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
Dear Bill,
  Congratulations on the good report! May you and your donor have many, many more years of good health.
     Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional