| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Introduction, just started testing process  (Read 11487 times)

Offline tina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Introduction, just started testing process
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:27:10 AM »
Hello all. I have spent some time reading the threads on this board, but this is my first post.

I began the testing process last Friday 1/17 to be a kidney donor for my mom. I am trying to familiarize myself with what all the tests are and what they mean. I was told my mom will be difficult to match because her antibodies are high.

I did the 24 hour urine, EKG, chest x-ray, glucose, and they took a LOT of blood. 30 tubes! Is this common to take so much blood? I know they asked if I was interested in doing a paired exchange if I was not a match with my mom. Are they trying to match me with other people at this time?

Now I am anxiously waiting for the results of these tests. As we wait, my mom's kidney function is deteriorating rapidly and she may have to start dialysis soon. She was hoping for a pre-emptive transplant, but we don't know if that will be possible now.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Introduction, just started testing process
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:54:04 AM »
     They take a lot of blood because they are not only checking to see how well you match, but also testing for all sorts of communicable diseases to make sure nothing bad gets passed along with the transplant. And I hate to tell you, but they will probably take some more later! So, just take it a step at a time.
   best wishes,
    Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »
Dear tina,

That sounds about right.  But really it isn't a lot of blood, just a lot of tubes. 

I did a pre-emptive donation to my Dad.  We were able to get through the testing process very quickly by continually reminding people that we were doing a pre-emptive transplant. 

Make sure you are current on your gynecological checkup and mammogram, as required by most donor programs.   People over 50 have other tests required, that are not done by the donor program.

If you are not compatible with your Mom, the paired donation process might take a bit longer.  You might also want to discuss plasmapheresis, which densensitizes the recipient. 

I wish you both well.  Keep us updated.

Love, elephant

Offline tina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
Thank you both you for your responses. I will keep you updated.

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:57:35 AM »
Do they take all that blood in one sitting? How does it work? Or how long does 30tubes process take? Weeks? Months?

I started the process of testing and only had to give like 4 tubes sent over to the doc.

Keep us updated on your process. Im interested as to know what to expect for me when I get the full green light.

Take care
\44/
/44\

Offline tina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
@Stpfan44 They took 20 tubes first, then I had to wait about an hour for the results of the blood sugar test. Then I drank the glucose solution (yuck!) and had to wait another 2 hours for them to take 2 more tubes. They later called me and said the lab had missed some tests so they sent 8 more tubes overnight for me to take to my local lab (I live about 30 miles away from where the transplant will be done). So they had intended for me to do all 30 that day but it didn't work out that way.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
When I was tested, I remarked on the 18 tubes of blood and the phlebotomist told me there are 96 tubes in a pint (or whatever the measure is) that you give when you donate.

So no worries.  If you aren't a match for your mother, then they may try to match you with someone who has a potential donor who doesn't match him/her, and then you swap.

What is your blood type? What is hers?

Offline tina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:49:36 PM »
Yeah I figured it wasn't that much if it was all together. Just seeing one tube after another being filled looks like a lot! I am O+ and I can't remember right now what my mom is, but I'm pretty sure it is A+.

I was hoping to hear something about the test results yesterday but that didn't happen. The waiting is hard.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
I pray it works out for you to be a match but if not you can still help your mom.  Assuming you are healthy enough, you can donate in her behalf so that she receives a kidney from someone else.  It's called a paired exchange which the transplant center arranges or a kidney chain through NKR.  In any case, it's kind of nervewracking to wait on each step and I wasn't even giving to someone I knew. Let us know how it goes.   

Offline tina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
Yes, they asked if I was interested in a paired exchange and I said yes. Still waiting for the results. It's been 11 days now and the wait is painful. I was told I would know sometime this week. My mom has to have the catheter inserted on Thursday so she can start peritoneal dialysis. She's not doing well so I hope this will make her start feeling better.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »
Dear Tina,

I do hope you get results soon.  Throughout the testing process I would find myself worrying that I would be rejected as a donor, even though I knew it was not something I could control.  By offering you have already given a loving gift.

Love, elephant

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:57:46 AM »
Hi tina,
Sorry about your mom - she's lucky to have you willing to donate!
My daughter is on PD and is doing fine. She does manual exchanges during the day and as yet has not decided to do the nighttime cycler.
I hope it helps your mom to more stable health and feeling better so she can be ready if all progresses forward for a transplant.
Best of luck to you both!
Karol
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline 1Love

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »
Good Morning. My name is Jack. I wish to be an altruistic paired kidney donor. I live in the Midwest and have recently recognised the urgent need for organs. I am a hospice worker, inveterate athlete, and situated perfectly for this decision. Any suggestions on where to begin? Thanks. I'm excited to be able to make a difference.
I am willing to be of maximal use to my fellows, I who has it all.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
1Love, start by contacting a local transplant center. You can find ones near you at http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/members/search.asp. Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline tina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
It has been 2 weeks today since I did the tests. I was told 1-2 weeks to get the results, even checked in with them on Monday and was assured someone would be calling me this week. Now it is nearly 4p.m. on Friday so it's doubtful they will call, even though I left a message asking them to call. I just think they could have at least let me know why it is taking longer than anticipated. It's frustrating just leaving my family hanging like this.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional