| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Introduction, just started testing process  (Read 11491 times)

Offline tina

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: Introduction, just started testing process
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 01:39:04 PM »
Well it turned out they did call shortly after I posted this.  I am not a match with my mother. Not only am I not a match, I found out some possible health problems that would preclude me from donating anyway. My blood sugar indicates I have a high risk of developing diabetes, especially with my family history. My cholesterol was also high. Looks like I have some things to work on so I won't be needing a kidney transplant myself someday.

Thank you all for all your responses. You have a wonderful, supportive community here.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »
Dear Tina,
     I am sorry for the disappointing news. It must be very hard on you both. But I imagine that it has meant a lot to your mom that you were so willing to help.
     So, use the new information well and do your best to take good care of yourself. You've got the information and the tools now to really be able to do a lot to help prevent future problems.
    If you might be interested in helping out in a more indirect way, the National Kidney Foundation has a lot of volunteer opportunities. They do a lot of work at educating the public about kidney disease (both how to help prevent it and how to spot its first symptoms), encouraging people to sign their after-death donation cards and also to be aware of the possibility of living donation, fund-raising for further research, etc. They set up public information tables here and there, run kidney disease screening clinics, hold "kidney walks", etc. So, you can still help a lot of people indirectly. Info at www.kidney.org
     So can also see if you can donate blood regularly or not, and also be sure to keep your after-death donation permission up-to-date. Even persons unable for health reasons to become living donors still can have many organs and tissues that can benefit others after death.
     Thanks so much for sharing your story.
                Fr. Pat

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
Best wishes, Tina. You and your mother are welcome here, regardless of your decisions or health status. As someone who, even for a brief time had the courage to offer to be a living orgn donor candidate, you are among the people we hope to support. Please recognize the risks of the situation you know find yourself in. Please do take care of yourself. Best wishes to you both.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
It has been 2 weeks today since I did the tests. I was told 1-2 weeks to get the results, even checked in with them on Monday and was assured someone would be calling me this week. Now it is nearly 4p.m. on Friday so it's doubtful they will call, even though I left a message asking them to call. I just think they could have at least let me know why it is taking longer than anticipated. It's frustrating just leaving my family hanging like this.

Yup, that kind of stuff used to drive me bananas.  But I tried to remind myself that the transplant coordinator at my center was attempting to do the work of 2-3 people on a budget insufficient for one.   Certainly, you don't have to assume that there's necessarily some problem with you or your tests.  It could just be that they're swamped.
    Good luck, Snoopy

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 05:28:47 PM »
I have a new appreciation for the work load of transplant coordinators. But I do try to remember the other side as I take care of patients. Always trying to balance!

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved