| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New donor :)  (Read 5863 times)

Offline MrDavid

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
New donor :)
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »
Dear forum

I donated a kidney to my mother a week ago today, we are both doing fine!

Pre donation I think I had asked everyone I had around me a the time all about
Kidney donation, risks etc however now I have given a kidney I am a little afraid of what this
Means for me. I do not regret this decision by a long way but wanted to ask you guys some questions

As above, I am 1 week out from surgery, male aged 31. I had my surgery via key hole, regarding risks of hernias, how quickly can one develop a hernia? How can I tell if I have one? What to look out for? I am making sure not to lift anything, not bending over much if I do it's just without thinking. I also walk each day for X amount of time normally 1-2 hours but split into 3 parts. I am swollen up too in the larger incision mostly, how long does this take to subside?

I previously was bodybuilding taking in around 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight of protein via meats etc do you think it's dangerous to consider each this amount with only one kidney? I workout 5 days a week when well too, weights and cardiovascular.

My biggest worry of all, I now have only one kidney I am urinating just fine, like normal in fact. Is urine output normally a sign of a good kidney? Healthly one? Also as I have lost a kidney now, does this mean perhaps in the future I will need to have a kidney transplant myself? I have around 30-40 years if I a lucky? What tips can people give to keep an eye on my kidney health? Previously I didn't even think about kidneys really as my tests from labs etc was always very good. In honesty I think I have some post donation anxiety

:) still mom is doing well

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New donor :)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
Dear "MrDavid",
      Congratulations on your donation! I donated 14 years ago, at age 56, and am doing fine now at age 70, even running half-marathons.
      I had the large open single-cut donation surgery, so I don't know as much about the lap surgery. My surgeon had me doing gentle bending and stretching exercises right after surgery, to promote healing, but did prohibit lifting.
      Long-term data from Europe (not much long-term data in the U.S.) indicates that we kidney donors do have a higher tendency toward high blood pressure and some kidney and circulation problems years after donation (as compared to persons of similar age/health who did not donate) so it is wise to be careful to maintain a healthful diet/exercise program for all of life. The National Kidney Foundation (www.kidney.org) has a lot of good advice about maintaining kidney health, and even a free "Love Your Kidneys" newsletter. They also offer advice about the warning signs of kidney disease. I bought a home blood-pressure monitor to take and record my blood pressure regularly in order to spot any gradual changes. So far, so good.
      These days more people check into the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line rather than here, so it might be a good idea to post your questions there also.
     The "Transplant Games" will be held in Cleveland in the summer of 2016 (www.transplantgamesofamerica.org) and is a great place for you (and your mom) to meet many other recipients, living donors, and donor families. I have attended several times over the years and it is a great experience. You can locate your State or regional Team at that site.
         best wishes,
               Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:20 AM »
Dear MrDavid,

I second the congratulations!  I hope you and your mom have many happy years together.  I donated to my father in 2011, with an excellent outcome.

I was walking immediately, and slow jogging by two weeks.  I followed all the lifting restrictions, (although I did interpret 10lbs as 10lbs in each hand)!  I began my core training cautiously.  Eventually I forgot about the incision, and went back to full on workouts.  I train as a powerlifter, and have not noticed any long term changes in my training from the nephrectomy. 

The swelling took a while to resolve, but now I can barely find the scars. 

I have never been a proponent of very high protein diets.  Nevertheless, I have some powerlifting trophies and a couple marathon finishes.  I do not think eating excess protein makes you more muscular. 

I'm not expecting kidney failure, why would you?   I think that everyone, donors and non-donors alike, should try to eat a balanced diet, control their weight, get enough sleep, and exercise.  Its also a good idea to drink plenty of fluids.  If you do those things, I daresay you will remain healthier than most.

Love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:53:25 AM »
Congratulations David!

Check with the transplant team about the protein. The protein guidelines are made with the average person in mind. What you have are a differing set of circumstances where you would certainly need more due to your activity levels.

My husband and I were/are both avid exercisers and weightlifters. My husband, the recipient, even has permission to use protein powders and some supplements but the transplant team has given him specific instructions on how much and when to use, and he follows that to the letter. I will tell you that, for both of us, creatine, in any form, solution or concentration, is a no-no.  Just review anything you use with the transplant team and they should be able to tell you what is acceptable for your unique situation.

Congratulations to you and your mother!

Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
I think listening to what your body is saying (a good reason to take the minimum pain meds you need) is the most important thing during recovery. I believe that if you get a hernia there will be pain and unusual bulging (as opposed to generalized swelling) or difficulties with your digestive system. I know I was terrified of them for the first little while. But eventually you start to forget about it ... mostly as the incisions become less and less painful. It took a good two months for my stomach to be entirely flat again, so don't worry if it seems to take a long time.

Walking is really good ... I also found that not eating tons all at once also helped to reduce the pain. I absolutely did not follow the no lifting restrictions. I just did what I could without discomfort. I trusted my body to tell me when I was over-doing it.

I know that lack of urine is a bad sign but I don't think that lots of urine necessarily means good. But you should have appointments in a few weeks where they will run blood tests to measure how your kidney function is doing, as compared to before and just after surgery. Its probably your best bet to ensure that your kidney is doing well.

Amusingly, I find that having donated now gives me an added incentive to take care of myself, more so than before surgery. Donating does not necessarily imply that down the road you will need a transplant ... and even so, the treatment of kidney disease is likely to have evolved substantially by then. Keeping your weight down and talking to your doctor about any supplements or a weight lifting diet that you want to take is probably a good idea. They have all the information on your medical status and will be able to give you informed recommendations. Also keep in mind that the fact that you were allowed to donate means that you probably started with very good kidney function.

Offline MrDavid

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:33:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it

I am 17 days out now from the op, feeling good! I noticed within 5-6 days under 3 of the small
Incisions are feel a hard lump, like a pea size? Is this normal? Scar tissue perhaps? Makes me kinda paranoid it's a hernia maybe but it sounds too quick for a hernia? Normally it takes a little more time

I am not exercising yet, going to
Give it 5-6 weeks then get back to light weights and
Some steady cardio, diet is still dating good!

Gonna start slow

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
I had the harder lumps with the small incisions and I was told that if you are on the lower side of body fat, it tends to be more noticeable. It has gone down substantially over the past few months but still now the lager incision feels hard to the touch. I believe a hernia would lead to a larger bulge that is mostly squishy ... and probably loads of pain.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional