| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: LETTERS: In defense of living organ donations  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
LETTERS: In defense of living organ donations
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:38:50 PM »
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/letters/2014/02/09/defense-living-organ-donations/kxSYZtWCuGYMKj6HbifBxM/story.html

LETTERS
In defense of living organ donations

RE “DONOR’S death shatters family, stuns surgeons” (Page A1, Feb. 2): The Globe’s account of the death of a liver donor was of great interest to me, as a recent living kidney donor. While the situation was indeed tragic, I felt it was negligent to highlight one tragic case when thousands of successful living donations occur each year throughout the world.

Many donors, myself included, first learn about living organ donation through news articles, and to paint such a horrifying picture of living donation without highlighting successful transplants only serves to discourage potential future donors.

All donors are repeatedly made aware of the risks (including death) surrounding living organ donation during the testing process. It is up to the individual to make the decision on whether the benefits outweigh the risks, and to proceed appropriately.

Perhaps an article highlighting the life-saving benefits of organ donation would be a fair way to present both sides, and help to encourage more people to research living organ donation. As a donor myself, I can say without reservation that it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Colleen Glenney
Brighton
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved