| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New to this...  (Read 3131 times)

Offline kristileigh777

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
New to this...
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm Kristi.  I'm new to message boards so I'm not really sure how they work, but I've got a few questions about being a donor.  I've not been asked, but I have a very dear friend who is in need of a kidney.  We are not related, but my blood type is O- so I wonder if being a donor for her would be an option since my blood type is considered the universal donor.  Can anyone explain to me what the requirements are to be matched as a donor?  I'd like to find out a few things before I offer.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New to this...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »
Dear Kristi,
     Hi. Since you are "Type O" you are compatible to donate a kidney to a donor of any blood type (and the "+" or "-" does not matter in kidney transplants). However you also have to pass a "crossmatch" to see if the intended recipient has particular anti-bodies that would react against an organ from you.
     If it turns out that you are NOT compatible to donate to your friend, you could also offer to take part in a "swap" in which you would donate to some one else, and that person's willing but incompatible donor would donate to your friend.
     If you go to the homepage of this site you can click the line about living donation to read more in detail about the testing process. Take you time and get well informed about living donation, including its risks.
     The "forum" at this site is the best place to post further questions.
          best wishes,
             Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional