| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Affordable Care and Immunosuppressives.  (Read 3190 times)

Offline tjhurley

• Top 100 Poster!
Affordable Care and Immunosuppressives.
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »
Hi, haven't been here for a while and just wanted to write a little bit about our family's experience with the Affordable Care Act insurance.  One of my sons signed up, he doesn't receive any sort of government assistance to help him pay his premium.  He is 32 years old, his monthly premium is $357. a month. He chose one of the more expensive, no-deductible, HMO plans.    His first 3 month supply of immunosuppressives and other support meds arrived, they are all generics, and the cost was a total of $60.00.  The meds received were generic versions, Tacrolimus, Mycophenolate Mofetil, Prednisone, Nifedipine, and Metroprolol Tartrate.   He does labs this month so we will see how expensive they will be out of pocket.

I know that this board is for donors. I also know that many of you are concerned about recipient concerns. My apologies in advance for anyone who may be offended.  Janet, donor, wife of a donor, mom of two recipients.

Offline Stpfan44

• Top 100 Poster!
  • headache drumroll
Re: Affordable Care and Immunosuppressives.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:46:01 AM »
h
\44/
/44\

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
That's really good, the same as what we pay on my employer-sponsored plan for the medication, and about a $100 more than I have to pay monthly out of my paycheck for the premium (my husband was my recipient).

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
Wow! That is pretty good for both the cost of coverage and meds! I work for a global company with group insurance and our cost is $250 co pay for a 3 month supply just of the prograf alone (it is what he started out on so transplant center doesn't want to switch to generic if they don't have to). Thank goodness the company has a loyalty card that pays for the majority of the co pay!
Glad to hear things are working out well for your son!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved